JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sunday, August 29 Let your servant girl speak to you, and listen to the words of your servant girl.​—1 Sam. 25:24.

Let your servant girl speak to you, and listen to the words of your servant girl.—1 Sam. 25:24.

Like Abigail, we need to have the courage to speak up if we see someone heading down a dangerous path. (Ps. 141:5) We must be respectful, but we must also be bold. When we lovingly offer a person necessary counsel, we prove that we are a true friend. (Prov. 27:17) Elders in particular must have the courage to speak to those in the congregation who take a false step. (Gal. 6:1) Elders humbly realize that they too are imperfect and may one day need counsel. But elders do not let that hold them back from reproving those who need discipline. (2 Tim. 4:2; Titus 1:9) When counseling a person, they try to use their gift of speech to teach him skillfully and patiently. They love their brother, and that love moves them to action. (Prov. 13:24) But their primary concern is to honor Jehovah by upholding his standards and protecting the congregation from harm.—Acts 20:28. w20.03 20 ¶8-9

Edited by Anniebea

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

@wallyahoo  Thank you Br. Normn for your insightful comments. 

I had a look at your personal bio (something I seldom do) and found out that you have been baptised 66 years ago. Born in 1954, so I had no problem calculating the numbers. Already I consider myself quite old and over-the-hills on account of my health issues.  
Looking forward to more scriptural gems from you.  

Spoiler

For some background about me. I'll try not to be too long winded.  I'm from Malaysia, north of Singapore so we don't have many who have been as long in the truth like in the West. My congregation is a non English one (the national language) and we have only 4 elders. Most of them have been quite young in age. One is just fresh out of university quite brash and cocky. Well, we just have to wait for Jehovah to polish off the rough edges in order to refine him to become a fine elder as yourself. Like watching paint dry though. 
In the meantime, most of the sisters try to keep under the radar and out of his way. One other elder, a young newly married brother in his late 20's is from a well-to-do family in South Korea. He had a bit of adjusting to do with regards to this low income country but I managed to cut him down to size.  
I think I need to imitate your example and also I need to keep my head down and put my shoulder to the wheel.  

*** w21 June pp. 23-24 par. 15 Do Not Stumble “These Little Ones” ***
15 What, though, if a fellow believer has acted in a way that is very troubling to you? What should you do? Make every effort to maintain peace. Turn to Jehovah in earnest prayer. Ask him to bless the person who offended you and to help you see the good qualities in that person—the very qualities that Jehovah loves about him.  If you cannot overlook what your brother has done, consider how you should approach him. It is always best to assume that the brother would never intentionally hurt you.  When you speak to him, give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Not about to retire my barge pole. 

Edited by happiness IS

Wow! You sure make me feel appreciated thanks for that..elders need encouragement too ,remember a beautiful “gem” became such after a lot of polishing ,,I know because I have had a few rough edges knocked off of me over the years ..

I am SURE that there is a hidden GEM in the young elder!!  And yes the WT study had a lot of underlying lessons for us..

May Jehovah bless you my sister..Agape!