JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Monday, September 13 Everyone proud in heart is detestable to Jehovah.​—Prov. 16:5.

Monday, September 13

Everyone proud in heart is detestable to Jehovah.—Prov. 16:5.

Elders work hard for the benefit of their brothers and sisters. And they do not let their authority make them unduly proud. Instead, they treat the congregation tenderly. (1 Thess. 2:7, 8) Their deep love and humble attitude affect how they speak to others. Andrew, an experienced elder, says: “I have found that the brothers and sisters generally respond well to an elder’s kindness and genuine warmth. These qualities motivate the congregation to cooperate with the elders.” Another longtime elder, named Tony, comments: “I try to apply the counsel found at Philippians 2:3 and constantly work at viewing others as superior to me. This helps me to avoid acting like a dictator.” Elders must be humble, just as Jehovah is humble. Although Jehovah is the Sovereign of the universe, he “stoops down” to raise “the lowly from the dust.” (Ps. 18:35;113:6, 7) In fact, Jehovah detests those who are proud and arrogant. w19.09 16-17 ¶11-12

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Humility is the quality Jehovah expects from all his servants, regardless of their service to him. We can easily harbor feelings of superiority over our fellow believers so humility is also a necessity for us sisters not only Elders. As sisters we can manifest this quality through good deeds to others & supporting the Elders’ decisions. 

Proverbs 138 :6 Though Jehovah is high, he takes note of the humble, But the haughty he knows only from a distance. So from this, how humiliating for a person to be rejected by Jehovah and not want to be known up close and personal by him.

As I meditate on humility  i think if faith without works is dead, does the same hold true for humility? Humility without works is maybe just talk. I need to always work on staying humble in thoughts and deeds. Just like once saved always saved is not true, once humble always humble is not true.

Edited by Vinnie

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah