JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Facebook accounts help needed.

I was looking for advice about facebook.

In a recent meeting, we had a very negative item about social networking and the dangers.

I am a ministerial servant and at the moment i do not have a facebook account but i was thinking of having one,

so my friends can keep up with what i was doing.

But an Elder said this;"t if i did have one, then it would look bad on me" and he discouraged me from having one.

Is this just a personal feeling on the elders part, or is this now how the Society feels about social networking?

Advice please.

At or circuit assembly in Dec, we had a nice talk on social networks. They talked about the positives and the negatives. Discussed things we should do, such as not friending people we don't know, having our security settings at the highest level. At the end of the talk our Dist Overseer said "Friends, if you choose to have a social network site, then fine. Please though follow through on all the suggestions that were outlined in this talk. Please be cautious as well"

From what I have heard from others, they pretty much heard the same thing at their assemblies. We also were told the same thing at our recent service meeting in Feb I think about social networks.

As to what your elder said, it may be a personal opinion, check with your other elders to see what the local opinion is.

How the Society feels about social networking was spelled out plainly in the Feb. 2012 Awake magazine. If you utilize the "Search" option on this Forum, a number of Threads discuss this very topic.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I remember that talk too, the Elder who did the Item from the Kingdom Ministry was a bit negative and focused

on the down side. But i dont see a problem with having a facebook account.

As long as you follow the guidelines from that talk you should be safe enough.

Whether one has a FB page or some other form of network page, if the are looking for trouble they will fine it. I know of elders wives and a former curcuit overseer's wife that has a FB page. It's all in how one will use the site. I found this site from FB

We have a elder in our congregation with a FB account, also lots of other members... it really is down to how you have your settings and who you choose to make friends with.

I think that you can set your page so that only your friends alone can see it instead of friends of friends etc... :)

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

One of our forum's Ministerial Servants related that at his elders'/servants' meeting with the CO, the CO read straight from the outline which specifically said 'there is nothing wrong with having a social networking account.' And this was a very old CO who very much disliked technology.

I think the elder you speak of probably was giving his own opinion. I would ask other elders just in case an issue gets made of it.

BTW - I think this whole social networking controversy will go down in Witness history as the circumcision issue of the 21st century. :lol1:

One of our forum's Ministerial Servants related that at his elders'/servants' meeting with the CO' date=' the CO read straight from the outline which specifically said 'there is nothing wrong with having a social networking account.' And this was a very old CO who very much disliked technology. I think the elder you speak of probably was giving his own opinion. I would ask other elders just in case an issue gets made of it. BTW - I think this whole social networking controversy will go down in Witness history as the circumcision issue of the 21st century. :lol1:[/quote']

103470=5636-good post.gif

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

One of our forum's Ministerial Servants related that at his elders'/servants' meeting with the CO, the CO read straight from the outline which specifically said 'there is nothing wrong with having a social networking account.' And this was a very old CO who very much disliked technology.

I think the elder you speak of probably was giving his own opinion. I would ask other elders just in case an issue gets made of it.

BTW - I think this whole social networking controversy will go down in Witness history as the circumcision issue of the 21st century. :lol1:

hahaha love it!! :lol1: