JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Saying goodbye to man's best friend - My best friend

On 8/8/2022 at 9:45 PM, Brother_Bliss said:

I will say, I don't think any dog ever had it as good as Cookie. We were awesome dog-owners. And she rewarded us by being the best dog I've ever known. She outshined every previous pet I've had. She really raised the bar, and will probably forever hold that title.

These are the memories you will hold on to. When I put my dog down, the first two days were pure torment for me, but now I cherish all the great times we had and all the things that made my dog my ”Best friend”.

I'm very sorry for your loss and completely feel your pain.

We too also coming to grips that we are nearing a similar  decision soon.  Our longhaired dachshund has been showing signs that we will have to make a difficult choice soon.  He already has trouble walking, has gotten very slow, sleeps a lot and just recently fell over without notice.  We too have looked at videos giving us the signs to know when it time to have him put down.  I would like that he goes on his own but recognize that the decision is fast approaching.  He turns another year old in October.   So far he manages to get up and walk to us when we come into the room but he's is showing signs that things that this is probably his last year with us.

All said, it's never easy and I understand how you feel.  We've had to put down 2 dogs in the past and it's never an easy decision.

Edited by lovjahupepl

2 hours ago, lovjahupepl said:

We too have looked at videos giving us the signs to know when it time to have him put down.  I would like that he goes on his own but recognize that the decision is fast approaching.

While I was hoping she would heal from her stair accident, she was 14 1/2 which was already crazy old for her breed(s). We had been anticipating that it might be nearing that time for about the last year and a half. The vet would always say that if she can eat, drink, and walk, then we're okay. Take away one of those 3 and it's a sign she is suffering. So while she had arthritis and probably other issues with her hind legs, she was still able to get around until after the mishap on the stairs. After that mishap, she could barely get up, and started refusing to eat. The only one of the "three" that she would do was drink when we brought her the water.

We were going to put her down Saturday, but then she got up, went outside, came in, and ate half a can of food. Because of that the vet said lets try the steroid and some pain reliever first. But then Sunday things turned sour again, and even seemed worse. We decided Monday was the day, and I was internally wrestling with wondering if I was making the right decision, but watching those YouTube videos helped me assure myself that I was making the right choice. 

It's been 4 days. It's still hard. It gets to me the most in the morning, when I return home from work, and at bed time, because these moments of my day revolved around Cookie.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

4 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

It's been 4 days. It's still hard. It gets to me the most in the morning, when I return home from work, and at bed time, because these moments of my day revolved around Cookie.

I completely get it.  When we lost our very first dachshund years ago I thought I wasn't attached.  However, I quickly realized the first day that everyone had gone to work/school that my routine was different.  I quickly realized that my daily routine surrounded around him (feeding, walking, etc.) and he wasn't there for me to do those things.  I did shed a few tears which surprised me and I realized then how much I missed him.  He was the best dog out of all the ones we have owned since he passed.

Yes the pain is real and I couldn't relate when my mom lost her dog until I experienced it myself.  My heart goes out to you but soon the pain you feel will slowly fade and it will be replaced by all the warm memories of the joy your fur baby brought you.

Edited by lovjahupepl

My brother I am deeply sorry. I am a HUGE dog lover - when ppl say what animals do you want to play with in the new system - no exotic animals - I just want to lay on the ground surrounded by puppies.

What makes it hard is that dogs literally are man’s best friend - they love unconditionally.

Sending you huge loads of brotherly love and support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I am so sorry for your loss.  i know that this was last year, but I just saw the post. 

I don't even want to think about when my furbaby, Luna passes away. I am hoping that she makes it through the Great Tribulation with me. 

This is her last winter. 

279420385_5248354245216209_7864266902249007231_n.jpg

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 11:00 PM, Lori said:

I am so sorry for your loss.  i know that this was last year, but I just saw the post. 

I don't even want to think about when my furbaby, Luna passes away. I am hoping that she makes it through the Great Tribulation with me. 

Wouldn't that be nice :)

It was hard at the time. The house felt silent for 2 weeks and then we went on vacation. Upon returning from vacation, we started looking for another dog and we ended up with this pupper...

https://www.facebook.com/WillowRoseAngle

Her name is Willow.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

3 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Wouldn't that be nice :)

It was hard at the time. The house felt silent for 2 weeks and then we went on vacation. Upon returning from vacation, we started looking for another dog and we ended up with this pupper...

https://www.facebook.com/WillowRoseAngle

Her name is Willow.

Beautiful dog!!   

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3