JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Living it Up! Low-Carb Style!

With renewed determination I am going to go back to a life of healthy eating. It is annoying how these little bad (yet tasty) habits creep into your life (and onto your plate).

Vegetation of the field, look out! Here I come!

And you, yes you, lean meat! This will only hurt for a second!

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cannot remember the book but i dropped 45 pounds this last fall it involved very little, and my eating patterns changed as my body PH changed to a more alkeline one. take on teaspoon of baking soda every morning, with one glass ( i used 1/2 glass) of water drink. have your blood ph tested first if you can. if not, get an aquarium water ph tester and pee on it. or, if you know your chem teacher, ask for a ph swab for them. you will not even crave the sweet things, and the theing about cutting out white flour and sugar, you will be amazed at how it naturally happens as your body's liquid becomes less acidic just my 2 cents. when you achieve your desired wieght, you can ween yourself off the baking soda

9661=239-50.jpg

I haven't heard the thing about the baking soda, but it could make sense I think. I'll have to look it up.

Sugar and white flour have got to go. And in the beginning, so will most carbs until the cravings disappear. Usually takes about 3 days.

I am an Atkin's man. Read his book in the mid 90's and took the weight off easily and kept it off for years at a time. But as I stated, those bad habits creep back in and you don't even know it. I always resolved to spend my life eating right, but... well... that's the way it goes :)

- Bob

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I'm in! I need all the help I can get!

Started yesterday and did well. This morning was good, but we had hospitality and went to a Thai restaurant and ate rice.

But tomorrow is Monday, so ready, set, GO!

- Bob

Here is nice article from Time magazine comparing fat calories and carb calories.

Article: Which Are Worse: Calories from Carbs or Fat?

While the article remains pretty neutral (I often think they HAVE to to be politically correct), the information about certain fats and certain carbs is very interesting. The article read very much like Atkins DANDR book.

OK...I"m oing to do it, too!!! I like Al's idea of the baking soda, too. Did you know that cancer can not grow in an alkaline environment? So tomorrowe I"m going to buy myself some baking soda and take it every morning and to the low carb thing. I like way of eating necause it works well for me and I'm not hungry all the time. I'll check in everyday and we'll keep eachother posted on our progress. The only thing is....when I left my ex....i left the scales behind and stopped weighing. I don't even know how much I weigh....I just go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. Si I'll post pics every week or so of how cute I have gotten.....hahahaha!

Okay LaRhonda, you're on!

I have had a mixed bag of a week. I've lost a few pounds, but haven't been committed as I want to be.

Tomorrow we have a dinner with the servant body and pioneers, so I'll be getting on my feet with my commitment to healthy eating Sunday or Monday!

OK, Bob....How about lets start on Monday morning. That will give us time to get our butts in gear, go grocery shopping and get the baking soda. I went to the grocery store this afternoon and bought mostly meats, cheese and veges. I found some low carb tortillas for wraps, too. I got the stuff for lasagna so I"ll make it sunday and get it out of my system and start fresh on Monday morning. Does that sound like a plan to you?

All interested ones lets get in together on the ground floor and help eachother do it!!!!

Everyone check in Monday morning with our morning encouragement and do it guys!!!!!

OK, Bob....How about lets start on Monday morning.

You're on!

And if we are going to post like made about our diet and fitness routines, then maybe a special area should be dedicated to that. We'll see how things go, but in the meantime, I am open to name suggestions.

I like "Good Health to You" and "To Your Health"

OK, today is the day. I got me a neat canister of baking soda. I wish Al could remember where he found this information, but I like the idea of turning my body into an alkaline environmment because it is healthier for you.

Well, I started off on the wrong foot already this morning. I cooked Lasagna for dinner last night so I had to dig into the leftovers this morning. I should have known better that to put them in the fridge. I"m determined to be better the rest of the day though. I drank my baking soda...yuck! And I'm going to cook meatballs or hamburger steaks for dinner tonight with veges....no bread, and drink water all day.

How is evertone else doing?

My day started off just fine. I had a 3 egg omelet with a spicy sausage link diced up inside it with some spinach dip. Tasty, but not as good as my trademark Bob omelet (sp?). That was about mid-morning and then I went to work. Just snacked on some strawberries and pepperoni and cheese while I wait for Crystal to return from the store with something to make for dinner. I was thinking Chicken with mozzarella and pepperoni inside with spaghetti sauce over top and veggies on the side. Optional noodles for the kids :-)

I don't think you would have much success turning your body into an alkali environment until AFTER you have lost your weight, because a lot of healthy foods on Atkins are on the acidic end. Here is a chart...

Chart: Alkaline_Foods_List.pdf

Most of the alkali foods on the list are alright for our diet though, and probably all of them ultimately.

So far so good today. I took my Baking soda, ate low arb ham and hot cheese wraps for breakfast (or should I say lunch as it was about 12:30) and have been drinking my water. How is everyone else doing? I laid out a Deer tenderloin that I'im going to cook for dinner with mushrooms and gravy and I think I'll make green beans to go with it.

Keep on the wagon!

Today wasn't bad at all. I had another omelet this morning. In fact, I have one every morning usually. This one had cream cheese and spaghetti sauce with a spicy sausage. For lunch I had a snack pack of nuts and a low carb bar. For dinner, we had asian stir fry steak and veges. BUT the kids had a store brand rising crust pizza, and I did have a slice. But hey, it's day two and I am still working on my resolve. At least I didn't eat half the pie like I normally would.

I will plan to make my low carb pizza this weekend to remind myself what the good stuff tastes like.

Yesterday I was good all day. Gina and I went to Ryans for lunch and I only ate meat...then I had shrimp and vege stir fry for dinner.

Today so far has been good. I had ham and cheese wraps on low carb tortilla for breakfast....then I started craving icecream so I had a little frozen Cool Whip, and for dinner we're having Okra soup. Yummy!!!!

Its family worship night for all of us so we will be busy tonight....Going to practice the songs for sunday, too, so I won't crack up again in front of everybody....LOL