JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Living it Up! Low-Carb Style!

Well, I didnt do so good today. I didn't eat until this afternoon......then I was starving and I ate red rice with Kielbasa and cabbage on the side. I should have eatten breakfast. Then later tonight, I was craving chocolate so I drank a glass of Chocolat milk!

Tomorrow I will do better!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get back on the train girl!

I had Taco Bell last night. I've been very depressed and because of this I have wanted to just say forget it! who the hell cares! But I know that is not my brain functioning properly and have still been doing all right.

The kids were hungry after a memorial talk for a friend last night, and mexican is my weakness.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I was good yesterday for the most part. I did eat a small portion of baked beans with dinner but that was it.

Today Sheryl and I went to Gilligans and I had Oysters, green beans and a salad. I'll probably just have a low carbed wrap for dinner.

I found these amazing tortilla wraps at Ingles when I was in Asheville, but cant seem to get them here. The brand is called "Extreme Wellness". They are big wraps and they have 5 gms carbs and 12 gms of fiber!!! Yes I wrote it right. Check in your grocery stores and see if you can find them.

I also found some sugar free hersheys syrup with 5 carbs per 2 tbs so I'm going to have frozen cool whip and chocolate syrup later on when I get the munchies....with a cherry on top:)

Oh Al...that sounds yummy AND Bob and I can even have that on our diet....email us some....;)

I was good today again....I had a turkey and cheese wrap on my low carb Tortillas for breakfast, then Colette and I went to Ryans (the Trough) for lunch and all I ate was different meats. Nothing for dinner since I"m still full from lunch. I don't feel like I've lost anything though....thats stinks, but I"m not going to give up.

I haven't been super strict but have been eating well. My loss is also slow but I squeezed into some work pants that I had squeezed out of the week before, so yay!

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

i ate out twice this week, yuk!

feel commercialized all over, greasy cheese burgers, they looked good,

but sure can feel them laying around inside my gut, yuk

back onto the chef thing tomorrow

seared pork chops then -- slow roasted

chipolti creamed nutmeg sause, slow roasted for 3 hrs...

heavy on the cream toooooooooooo

mash patatoes from scratch with butter milk......................

hope

Mmmm Al, I might have to slip up into Canada tomorrow for dinner :P

On early phases of the Atkins plan, mash potatoes are a no-no. They are a carb bomb. BUT I have found a cauliflower mash potato recipe that does the trick!

- Bob

Bob and anyone else out there who is trying to cut back on the pasta.... a very nice replacement for spaghetti or any kind of noodles is spaghetti squash... it only takes a few minutes to cook and if you put a nice pasta sauce on top it is the best!! I am a diabetic so I try to be more careful with those kinds of carbs, this option does not raise my blood sugar at all and it is healthy!

If you try it let me know what you think of it.

agape bros and sisters.

I've used spegetti squash many times as a substitute. It is a bit crunchy, but i really like it.

My soup was very good tonight. I used unsweetened coconut milk and splenda. I used butternut squash, ginger, onion and garlic, and curry paste. It was yummy, but i think next time i'm going to try a little nutmeg with it.

Bob and anyone else out there who is trying to cut back on the pasta.... a very nice replacement for spaghetti or any kind of noodles is spaghetti squash... it only takes a few minutes to cook and if you put a nice pasta sauce on top it is the best!! I am a diabetic so I try to be more careful with those kinds of carbs, this option does not raise my blood sugar at all and it is healthy!

If you try it let me know what you think of it.

agape bros and sisters.

We've done the spaghetti squash thing here and LOVED it.... except for the kids, who hated it. But that's kids for you, an endless struggle to get them to eat anything healthy.

I'll need to know how you cook it, because I think we halved ours and then placed it on a cookie sheet and baked it in the oven, unless I am thinking about a different kind of squash.

There is another product, kinda like a tofu noodle called Shirataki Noodles that I get at the local whole foods store. You have to rinse them thoroughly cause they are a little stinky, but I liked it. Wife hated it. It was a little chewy and serves well in an asian noodle dish, and while I thought it wasn't bad with pasta sauce, it wasn't "right" either. Funny think is, my kids loved it. :S

(I need a shrug shoulders smiley)

I'm PMSing and I blew it all day long. PLUS, I think I"m catching a tiny cold. I cheated, and I"m going to cheat again before this day is over!!!!!

I WANT CHOCOLATE!!!!

PS....Tell Crystal to PM me and ask her if she got my last message. I havent heard from her in a while and I miss her.

One day at a time LaRhonda... I understand fully, especially with the chocolate, it has to be one of my favorite things to eat, which I should not do because I am a diabetic. It is a struggle for me each and every day to eat right or I end up with high sugar. Hope today goes better for you.

Betty

I'm not a big fan of sweets until I'm PMSing....then I could just drink a bottle of syrup. The last few days I have been on PB&J sandwiches. I just crave sugar.......so I will just try again next week to get back on the wagon....

Thanks betty for you comment. I'm sorry you are a diabetic. Please be sure totake care of it.....because the problems of side effects dont start showing up until the damage is done...then there is no hope.

Love, Lm

I fell off the wagon too. Been stressin' and depressin' over something lately and kinda stopped taking care of myself. Had chinese last night and will have some pizza tonight with the family we have invited over for WT Study.

THere are sweet chocolate alternatives that might work. I'll have to dig them up and really ought to create a health or recipe forum or something for it :-)

- Bob

I wish I tweaked out that pizza last night. I'm not even gonna bother getting on the scale today.

let me guess, you never get headaches and you drink tea or black coffee too?

I used to never get headaches. Had some lately but I am grieving something lately and have been really down.

Atkins as well as all these other doctors will say to get off the caffiene. I kinda draw the line here. I love my caffeine. We have a close bond with eachother ;)

Foods that help burn fat

Combat fat! Your allies in battling bulge? Foods that do the work for you. These edibles have proven lipid-melting powers that help you slim. That’s a win.

Almonds

Almond joy! Dieters who ate 3 ounces of these nuts every day reduced their weight and body-mass index by a solid 18 percent compared with an 11 percent drop in the no-nut group, a study in the International Journal of Obesity found. Almonds are high in alpha-linolenic acid, which can speed the metabolism of fats. Stick to 12 per serving.

Berries

Vitamin C–loaded fruit such as strawberries and raspberries can help you sizzle up to 30 percent more fat during exercise, suggests research from Arizona State University at Mesa. Blend a vinaigrette of 1 cup berries and ¼ cup balsamic vinegar.

Cinnamon

This spice could make your waistline nice. Sprinkling ¼ teaspoon on your food may prevent a postmeal insulin spike—this increase normally occurs after you eat and “signals the body that it should store fat rather than burn it,” explains Lauren Slayton, R.D., of New York City. Add a dash to your oatmeal, yogurt or coffee.

Mustard

Hello, yellow. The spice that gives mustard its color, turmeric, may slow the growth of fat tissues, a study in the journal Endocrinology notes. Eighty-six mayo in favor of any mustard; sprinkle turmeric on cauliflower and roast for a tangy side.

Oranges

Prevent pound creep with this citrus star: It contains fat-torching compounds called flavones. Women who ate the most flavones had a significantly lower increase in body fat over a 14-year period, a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition finds. Snack on slices or drink freshly squeezed OJ (with pulp!) for the biggest payback.

Soybeans

These green gems are rich in choline, a compound that blocks fat absorption and breaks down fatty deposits. Add ½ cup edamame to a salad.

Sweet potatoes

Trade up to sweet taters. They’re high in fiber, which means no drastic insulin jumps and thus less fat packed onto your hips. Bake a small sweet potato—think of two bars of soap as a portion size—and top with a dollop of lowfat or nonfat cottage cheese.

Swiss cheese

Holy cow: “Calcium-rich foods reduce fat-producing enzymes and increase fat breakdown,” says Michael B. Zemel, Ph.D., director of the Nutrition Institute at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. Put toe to toe with some of its cheesy counterparts, Swiss is a heavy hitter in the calcium department; layer a slice on a lunchtime sandwich, or stack some

A sweet potato is better than a normal potato for sure. All of that food ends up being acceptable on the Atkins plan, but we would shy away from the oranges and sweet potato for the first few weeks for sure.

The Atkins Diet is a whole foods diet, but the initial weight loss phase is a carb controlled phase. After the initial 2 weeks, you gradually add back food groups one by one while increasing the carb intake while paying attention closey to what food groups cause you to stop losing weight and gain it, and also what is your daily carb threshold.

Ultimately, in the end you can end up eating anything that can be hunted or picked, but nothing preserved or processed.