JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

La Nina increases termites and insects in Australia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 548 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Australians should be on the lookout for rising insect numbers as the troublesome bugs are thriving in the country’s wild torrential conditions.

Data released ..... this month revealed .... termites and cockroaches had exploded by 175 per cent and 128 per cent respectively over the last year.

......... other bugs, wasps (581 per cent), ants (275 per cent) and fleas (150 per cent), also popping up in larger numbers.

In the month to October 6, 47.5 per cent of cockroach jobs posted on the service were listed as “emergency” or “ASAP”.

The percentage of pest control jobs that were marked as “emergency” or “ASAP” jumped to 36 per cent during that same period as well.

The bad news for Australians is the country’s seemingly never-ending rain and storms are creating favourable conditions for many insects.

Bugs thrive in moist, humid and damp conditions, which can help drive breeding numbers, grow plant life they feed on, softened soil and attract them to wet areas of the home.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/technology/cockroach-and-termite-numbers-on-the-rise-due-to-la-nina-c-8675331?utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=perthnow_update_2022-10-27&utm_campaign=sendgrid+wan_newsletter&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

8 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Australians should be on the lookout for rising insect numbers as the troublesome bugs are thriving in the country’s wild torrential conditions.

Data released ..... this month revealed .... termites and cockroaches had exploded by 175 per cent and 128 per cent respectively over the last year.

......... other bugs, wasps (581 per cent), ants (275 per cent) and fleas (150 per cent), also popping up in larger numbers.

In the month to October 6, 47.5 per cent of cockroach jobs posted on the service were listed as “emergency” or “ASAP”.

The percentage of pest control jobs that were marked as “emergency” or “ASAP” jumped to 36 per cent during that same period as well.

The bad news for Australians is the country’s seemingly never-ending rain and storms are creating favourable conditions for many insects.

Bugs thrive in moist, humid and damp conditions, which can help drive breeding numbers, grow plant life they feed on, softened soil and attract them to wet areas of the home.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/technology/cockroach-and-termite-numbers-on-the-rise-due-to-la-nina-c-8675331?utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=perthnow_update_2022-10-27&utm_campaign=sendgrid+wan_newsletter&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email

THE END IS NEAR!!!

22 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

THE END IS NEAR!!!

I'm a bit confused about your comment - was designed to be humorous, sarcastic, a general put down, or something else? 

If we don't just take this at face value, but think further on what an increase in insect numbers means in broader terms, it is not just about creepy crawlies invading our homes.

I'm sure that with floods across the world, Australia is not the only place this is happening. 

Unfortunately, just because the flood waters will eventually subside, in doesn't mean the insects will die off.

Therefore, a large increase in pest insect numbers will have a detrimental effect on agriculture and food supplies that are grown once the flood waters have gone. 

This in turn will cause more food shortages and therefore prices will continue rising ... etc. etc. 

Disease is also related to an increase in insect numbers. Mosquito's, not mentioned in the article, will be increasing exponentially in the wet conditions and spread all manner of diseases - Malaria, Dengue fever, Zika among others.

Cockroaches can spread Typhoid fever, Cholera, Dysentery etc. 

So, the increase in insects can contribute to a number of things prophesied including food shortage, rising prices and pestilences. 

Edited by GeordieGirl

1 hour ago, GeordieGirl said:

I'm a bit confused about your comment - was designed to be humorous, sarcastic, a general put down, or something else? 

If we don't just take this at face value, but think further on what an increase in insect numbers means in broader terms, it is not just about creepy crawlies invading our homes.

I'm sure that with floods across the world, Australia is not the only place this is happening. 

Unfortunately, just because the flood waters will eventually subside, in doesn't mean the insects will die off.

Therefore, a large increase in pest insect numbers will have a detrimental effect on agriculture and food supplies that are grown once the flood waters have gone. 

This in turn will cause more food shortages and therefore prices will continue rising ... etc. etc. 

Disease is also related to an increase in insect numbers. Mosquito's, not mentioned in the article, will be increasing exponentially in the wet conditions and spread all manner of diseases - Malaria, Dengue fever, Zika among others.

Cockroaches can spread Typhoid fever, Cholera, Dysentery etc. 

So, the increase in insects can contribute to a number of things prophesied including food shortage, rising prices and pestilences. 

I’m sorry that I offend you in anyway. Where I live at, sometimes increase of insects, birds, have to do with seasons, cycles of years, etc. Maybe this is happening in your area. Yes, events can change one surroundings for the worse or not. Yes, in NW things will be in perfect balance, but how do we view it? Will it be less insects or more? That all depends if we want more insects in our area or not. Believe me, if we didn’t have some of these insects or micro creatures, we would not be alive today. All credits goes to Jehovah my dear sis. 

Thank you for your reply Glenn, though you do seem to be missing the point of this topic. 

It isn't about the normal cycle of life where there is an increase in insects as the warmer seasons come around and hatch the previous season's insects' eggs.  And I would imagine that most primary school children are aware that insects are needed for our survival.

I'm just not sure how any of that information relates to the article about unusually large increases of insects because of extreme flooding across the Eastern Seaboard, due to the third La Nina event this year. 

In Jehovah's New World, when every thing is as it should be and the world is in perfect balance, all these insects will be doing the job Jehovah created them to do. 

In the meantime, they are causing a lot of problems in a lot of places and I just thought it was interesting to share how they are adding to all the other problems people are currently facing.

I apologise if you found my post unnecessary and I will try to be more circumspect in what I share in the future.

2 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

Thank you for your reply Glenn, though you do seem to be missing the point of this topic. 

It isn't about the normal cycle of life where there is an increase in insects as the warmer seasons come around and hatch the previous season's insects' eggs.  And I would imagine that most primary school children are aware that insects are needed for our survival.

I'm just not sure how any of that information relates to the article about unusually large increases of insects because of extreme flooding across the Eastern Seaboard, due to the third La Nina event this year. 

In Jehovah's New World, when every thing is as it should be and the world is in perfect balance, all these insects will be doing the job Jehovah created them to do. 

In the meantime, they are causing a lot of problems in a lot of places and I just thought it was interesting to share how they are adding to all the other problems people are currently facing.

I apologise if you found my post unnecessary and I will try to be more circumspect in what I share in the future.

I understand, too, that when we write it is not always easy to make ourselves understood in the way we would be if we were able to speak face to face.  The internet is wonderful in that we can talk to our brothers and sisters all across the world.  On the other hand it can sometimes be the cause of misunderstandings.

I'm sure that if we were to have a conversation about this topic in person, any misunderstandings would be instantly swept away. 🙂