JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Traveling....need suggestions

We have a couple, friends, my hubbys Mom's age but we have always been good friends, played cards, ect. She is from here in NY her hubby from Oklahoma. They have been living in South Dakota and Oklahoma near her grown sons. A couple years ago, her husband died. Now she is alone as her son lives in South Dakota or a different part of OK, not sure which. She is in Clinton, OK. She wants to move back to NY as she has daughters here and we have offered her our granddaughters room. We will put our granddaughters stuff in storage until our son moves out of the little bedroom. The problem is getting her here. She has a car but has a heart condition and cannot drive that journey. She is also bringing her 4 cats. We have thought of different scenarios, me driving out there to bring her back but I am not looking forward to such a long drive there and back. Right now we are thinking about me coming out on the Amtrack. I have never been on a train before. A bus would be too long, I am not going to fly. Then renting a Uhaul or Budget and me driving them back with me. Her son was going to bring her but he has his own business and this is the busy season, she wouldn't be able to come out till Fall and she wants to be able to come to the DC with us the last weekend in July. She hasn't been able to go to them or even get to the meetings. Did I mention she is of the Anointed? I can't wait for her to get here, I think she is just the shot in the arm Leon and I need towards our goals of meeting attendance, preparation, service (I mentioned in my post in Support, etc under "Been out of the Loop.") She is so positive and encouraging. Fortunately, she is a Senior Citizen and I'm a member of the AARP cos I know it won't be a speedy trip home so that will help with overnight stops. she is going to sell her car to raise money plus she gets her retirement/SS/pension whatever it is. Does anyone have any ideas?

:scooter::boating::idea:

Get more exercise....walk with Jehovah!

I have never ridden the Amtrak, but my sons and nephews have ridden them many times. My aunt and uncle actually took one of the Amtrack vacation trips and really liked it. So that sounds like a good, fairly inexpensive way to get there. As far as driving the uhaul, unless it's one of those super huge ones, they are pretty easy to drive. Get one of the newer models (reserve in advance). Even getting gas is not difficult if you use truck stops because the pumps are farther apart.

And what a wonderful experience y'all will have together!! :)

Hi Christina,

I have absolutely no suggestions, Im from the Caribbean all we have is bus or car, LOL. I do think it is wonderful to open up your home to an elderly sister, that is love in action. Whatever you choose would be smooth ride cause you guys would be riding with Jah's holy spirit for the wonderful sacrifice your family is making.

kesh:dance:

Could you find a friend who would like a bit of a change / vacation to go travel with you on the Amtrak and the drive back?

Or is there a friend near her who would travel / drive with her to NY - perhaps ready for a trip to WT properties (probably a bit of a drive from you) and the friend fly back home later?

There is nobody near her who will do it. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to stay in motels, truck stops, or borrow my daughters tent and camp on the way back. I wonder if Amtrack allows pets. Maybe I could go out by train and we could come back by train and wait for her son to come out with the furniture. We have stuff she can use until then.

Now thinking instead of renting a Uhaul maybe a cargo van....or even an RV. With an RV we wouldn't have to worry about hotels or food, we can bring our own food and eat very simply. She wouldn't be able to bring her washer and dryer or fridge but she wont be needing them either with us. And if she moves into a senior apt complex later they have all the appliances and laundry rooms. And I am trying to talk my mother-in-law into coming with me lol. cos she can drive also. But you have to rent the RV a min of 5 days when it is one way.

Now thinking instead of renting a Uhaul maybe a cargo van....or even an RV. With an RV we wouldn't have to worry about hotels or food, we can bring our own food and eat very simply. She wouldn't be able to bring her washer and dryer or fridge but she wont be needing them either with us. And if she moves into a senior apt complex later they have all the appliances and laundry rooms. And I am trying to talk my mother-in-law into coming with me lol. cos she can drive also. But you have to rent the RV a min of 5 days when it is one way.

They can be very expensive to rent and the gas will kill you financially. The amount of money you spend in renting and fueling it up may be the same or more then stopping at hotels. Definitely research the cost differences before you get the rv.

We rented a 6X12 cargo trailer from Uhaul when I moved my mom from Illinois to Texas. We picked it up in Texas (where I live) drove to IL and back to Texas and dropped it off. It actually was cheaper to rent it round trip. We only rented it for few days.

My only problem with the U-haul stuff is where to put the kitties?

Maybe a pickup truck with a back seat. Could put the kitties back there in their carriers. Get a tarp for over the bed of the truck. Hmmmm. Yeah the RV deal is almost $3,000 :perplexed:

My late Gran used to bring her cat up in his basket by train or car (if we gave her a lift). Gran had his travel basket out for a few days in the house beforehand with his favourite toys and blanket in, so he got used to it being around. Coco the cat used to get travelsickness pills from the vet. Gran carried bottles of drinking water and his bowls, so he didn't get dehydrated. We had to be careful he didn't get overheated in the car if we had to get out for a while, we kept the window slightly open and window shades on and never were away for more than 5 minutes.

Dealing with kittly litter trays at the overnight stops can be tricky and watching they don't escape, especially if you are in tents rather than motels.There's good advice/tips at this site:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/travel-long-distances-cat-1606.html

My only problem with the U-haul stuff is where to put the kitties?

Maybe a pickup truck with a back seat. Could put the kitties back there in their carriers. Get a tarp for over the bed of the truck. Hmmmm. Yeah the RV deal is almost $3,000 :perplexed:

My husband and I have done lots of road trips all over the country, we have seen people put their dogs and cats in the carriers in the back of the truck. Most rest stops have areas where you can walk your dogs so they can do their business. As to a walking a cat there and letting them do their business, don't know how that would work, lol. My sister has traveled with her cat and she uses these disposable cat litter boxes that you can buy at petsmart or petco. Most hotels will allow cats, check before hand. My sister keeps her cat in the carrier, then at the hotel she gets the disposable litter box out, and the cat uses it.

My husband works for American Airlines, and you can send your pets on a flight without travelling yourself. "Pets Traveling Alone

American Airlines Cargo and Priority Parcel Service ship pets to most destinations. You can find information about pets traveling without a ticketed passenger at AACargo.com, or by calling 800-CARGOAA (800-227-4622)"

I'm sure all the airlines offer this service as well.

Boots (the sister I'm moving up here it's her nickname lol) knows a brother that works where U-Haul is and the trucks have room behind the seats to stow things. So we can stack the cats there. Yes I will get the disposable litter pan! I wouldn't want to put the kitties in the back because if it is hot out they will cook and I don't know about ventilation. So as it stands now, I'm taking the Amtrak to OKC and driving back in a U-Haul. All I have to say is it has to be an automatic and better have cruise control!!!! Egad, with my 8 and her 4 we will have an even dozen of cats at my house lol! I'm gonna bring my hubbies laptop so we can find motels on the way that accepts kitties and has either senior or AARP discounts. I won't last a week without internet lol. Now we just have to pick out when in June I'm going to be going....after the 2nd for sure cos it's our Special Assembly Day. :scooter:

Just be sure you really know what to haul. I'll tell you what we did years ago to help a sister. She had moved from Dallas, Tx to Detroit,Mich. so her daughter could help her. But in December, she called us, that she couldn't take the Cold up there; & she wanted us to help move her back to Texas. So we took our RV & had employee drive pickup up to move her back. Yes, she wanted 'everything' moved, washer, etc. Until she could get place in Dallas, she moved into one of our rentals (by Houston). Then when she got 'efficency' in Dallas, she no longer wanted items moved; sold 'cheap' to get rid of. Yep, double gas, time, & miles to later 'discard' items. And gas was Cheap back then ( 1.50)