JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stay away from the Asus Transformer Prime - Do not buy this tablet.

Do a google search. This particular product ended up being a catastrophe. The all aluminum case, while looking and feeling fantastic, also interferes with wireless reception. GPS is dead, as it cannot lock onto a single satellite. Wi-fi is fine if you are in the room with the router, but if you get too far away from it you will drop your signal. It is impossible to take notes on this thing because they cheaped out on the sensor grid embedded in the glass. Your handwriting will look like your drunk, and you cannot draw circles or diagonal lines. So when I complained in another thread about not being able to underline my watchtower, it was not the app, it was the Prime.

I am returning this unit.

I also picked up a Toshiba Excite 10, a new Tegra3 quad core tablet that came out a couple days ago and so far I think it is fantastic. It meets and beats the Prime in so many ways.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I have a Toshiba Tab and love it. :infatuated: Great for travel. I just need to learn how to hold pages while I reduce them to look into another app for stuff.

Like adding a scripture to a post here . . . I have the reply box open but it drops out if I open my Bible app.

You can tell when I use my Tab to post here . . I can't add a cited scripture. If anyone can show me how to get past this problem I would be grateful. :flowers:

I have a Toshiba Tab and love it. :infatuated: Great for travel. I just need to learn how to hold pages while I reduce them to look into another app for stuff.

Like adding a scripture to a post here . . . I have the reply box open but it drops out if I open my Bible app.

You can tell when I use my Tab to post here . . I can't add a cited scripture. If anyone can show me how to get past this problem I would be grateful. :flowers:

Well, in my tablet there are 3 buttons in the lower left hand corner:

1) Back

2) Home

3) Open Apps (i.e. Open windows)

When you are done looking in the other app for stuff, click the Open Apps button and it will all pop up the left side. Then tap the one you wanna go back to.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I have an i pad and i love it. (I saved up for mine)

I can do notes in my watchtower, and the apps you can get are amazing.

I have a ministry school timer. (one of our Elders is saying we are not allowed to

use them in the kingdom hall, but ive heard no announcement)

It may be expensive, but if you are going to buy a tablet.

They get a decent one.

Cheapest is not always best,

Well, in my tablet there are 3 buttons in the lower left hand corner:

1) Back

2) Home

3) Open Apps (i.e. Open windows)

When you are done looking in the other app for stuff, click the Open Apps button and it will all pop up the left side. Then tap the one you wanna go back to.

Yes. it works. I had been using the wrong ones at the wrong time. :blushing:

Now 3,000 kms from home in Perth using my phone as a hotspot. Works well. Testing the Tablets capabilities here tonight. :)

Saw someone-an elder?-member of the RBC using a tablet and a brother from cong across the street ( literally - use same hall but their territory is across the street ) using his phone to read a scripture during WT study Sunday after lunch at our Reno.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Hi peter.

I guess it is down to how you feel about it. In our congregation, we had a young brother use a i pad in the ministry, ( he read a scripture from it) and was severely told off.

Yet an Elder was allowed to use it on the platform and nothing was said.

Personally, if i have a item on the platform or i am reading the watchtower i always use the magazines.

It could lead to questions from the audience about what sources are being used.

There is a time and place for the used of such items.

In a recent letter to the elders it was stated directly that no electronic devices are to be used from the platform when giving talks or conducting meetings. There use in the audience is acceptable, but I always advise when called upon to read a scripture, you should do it from the Bible, so others will know it is from God's word.

I have not heard of anyone using a tablet in the ministry until now. I personally would not do it. Again, we want people to know our teaching comes from the Bible.

In a recent letter to the elders it was stated directly that no electronic devices are to be used from the platform when giving talks or conducting meetings. There use in the audience is acceptable, but I always advise when called upon to read a scripture, you should do it from the Bible, so others will know it is from God's word.

I have not heard of anyone using a tablet in the ministry until now. I personally would not do it. Again, we want people to know our teaching comes from the Bible.

Yes, the direction is not to use them from the platform in place of printed materials, but from the audience was just fine.

I am completely paperless now. If I have no meeting parts, I just have my Toshiba Excite 10* which I am currently in love with. I have my songbook open in one program, my Watchtower or other pub in another, and iSilo open for my Bible, and a cheat sheet of extracted scriptures in another. I can toggle documents with a tap of the screen. Awesome. Now that I have this Toshiba, I can take handwritten notes using my Adonit Jot stylus as well (which I couldn't do on the Prime and thus why I returned it).

In the ministry, I still use printed Bibles and literature. I think it would be foolish to read scriptures from a phone or tablet at the door.

* The Toshiba Excite 10 is a quad core tablet that was release in late May 2012, and is easily confused with their simlarly named Toshiba Excite 10 LE which is a dual core table that has been out for a few months now and for whatever reason is more expensive. Shame on them for naming them so similarly. The model that I have can be found here.

Can you install the watchtower library mobile on a 7 inch tablet and does anyone have any opinions on them? Thanks

No, you cannot "Install" the Library on any tablet at the moment. I don't believe there are any tablets that run the older "Windows Mobile" operating system. The best you can do with the tablets available is download and install "isilo reader" and then get the WT Library files in isilo format. It own't "run" as it does on a computer, but you will have access to all the material and publications contained in the WT Library CD Rom.