JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

ideas for staying cool in hot weather

Yesterday afternoon it was so hot in Belfast 27c.

A sister fainted out in the ministry, and it is another scorcher today. 24c.

Us Brothers and sisters in the UK are not used to this hot weather, so i was

wondering how do you brothers and sisters stay fresh and cool in hotter countries?

I went out today not wearing a jacket, and you can see the sweat patches under my arms.

P.S.

The sister is fine, she is recovering, and taking plenty of fluids.

I was not sure what 27c was, so I had to look it up. 27 celsius = 80 degrees fahrenheit in the US.

I live in Texas, which gets very, very hot. 105 degrees during July and August for us. that is 40.5 celsius.

The key is not to stay out too long if possible, dress lightly, hats are good, plenty of water. Take breaks while in the ministry, get in the car with the air conditioning on, even for a few minutes just to cool off. And don't push yourself, no matter how well you think you are feeling.

We will go out in the ministry for maybe an hour, from 9 15 am to maybe 10 15 am. The rest of the day is dedicated to doing return visits, or not at homes. It's tough in our summers, we don't get alot of territory covered, but when it's that hot, we do what we have to do.

AVA i would never be able to cope with 105c.

That would melt me. I admire you guys for working in that stifling condition.

Would shorts be appropriate attire for the ministry?

it is nice to get some hot weather, but were really not used to it.

AVA i would never be able to cope with 105c.

That would melt me. I admire you guys for working in that stifling condition.

Would shorts be appropriate attire for the ministry?

it is nice to get some hot weather, but were really not used to it.

No we don't wear shorts. Brothers wear pants, short sleeve shirt, tie, no jacket.

You just need to cool off whenever you can. We may work one street for 30 minutes, go in the car and turn on the air conditioning and cool off for a few minutes. Then we go out again. But as I said earlier, we only do door to door work for about an hour in the morning. By noon it's too hot to do door to door work.

Right now it's 73 degrees by me which is 22 c. By this afternoon it will be 95 f which is 35 c. So another warm day for us.

We are having a heat wave here. Yesterday it was 103F (39 C). Plus the humidity. I know, I know. My friends from Arizona (no humidity) say Hot is Hot...but we all know when you add humidity it makes it hard to breathe...like you're drowning. Did you know it was possible to have 100% humidity and it NOT be raining??? I have family in Ohio and they get all freaked out when it's 85F and 60% humidity...and I'm visiting they all are sweating, :sweat: but I need a jacket and it feels sooo good...invigorating! :dance: So I guess my point is that you get used to your environment....and you learn to adapt.

Shorts are not acceptable for service, however (unless you are witnessing beachside!) Brothers wear ties, but no jackets. Sisters wear sandals and sundresses (modest) and lots of clothes that "breathe"...mostly made of cotton. We walk territory first thing in the mornings...and try to choose the shadiest streets. And we take it easy. We are laid back by nature anyway, so there is no rushing or hurrying...just a slow steady pace. Just like the tortoise and the hare!

Not that im complaining Lisa, the sun coming out in the uk is quite an event.

Last winter we were up to our ankles in snow for three months.

But it dose not look good when you are meant to be Gods minister and you are dripping in sweat.

Perhaps ill take a change of clothes as i am out for 4 hours tomorrow.

Its not so much the sun but the humidity.

I love you American Brothers and sisters, You guys are an encouragement to us all.

Even though The U.S.A. beat scotland 5-1 at soccer the other night, im not bitter. well done.

I know, I know. My friends from Arizona (no humidity) say Hot is Hot...but we all know when you add humidity it makes it hard to breathe...like you're drowning.

I know what you are saying. Where I grew up, the humidity was real thick, and with that much moisture in the air, it's hard to breathe. I am in TX now, it's a dry heat. It's a different kind of heat though. 105 F feels like a hot blow dryer on you constantly. Or your face in an oven, lol.

Honestly, living in real hot/humid area vs living in super hot area, they both stink.

Here in San Fernando valley gets up to 110-115 in summer sometimes. Mostly dry heat but once in while humid which is not cool. Besides lots of fluids and keeping cool when possible.There are wraps you can use for wrists and neck that you soak in water for 10-15 min and they will help keep you cool for hour or two. The neck wraps when they start to warm up you turn them around and it's cool again. Then can also add more water and it is cool again.

Web address is polarproducts.com. There are lots of wraps like this but these work well

but will that not make your shirt wet with all the drips sister Shirley?

What about a knotted handkerchief on the head? Or the person taking the group has to buy everybody an ice cream

or milk shake?

Bwahahaha i guess it wouldn't bother me if i got my shirt, blouse wet. I would wear it anyway if i was that hot.:lol1:

but will that not make your shirt wet with all the drips sister Shirley?

What about a knotted handkerchief on the head? Or the person taking the group has to buy everybody an ice cream

or milk shake?

I have been known to use the bathroom when we take a break out in service and wet the paper towels and wipe my neck, lol.

I don't wear a wet towel though when I am in service.

There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing. Because, pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.(Proverbs 12:18,16:24)

Sister Ava, i dont know if i could do that. I once got stuck in a public convenience for three hours.

The door jammed, and i have a fear of using other peoples bathrooms.

We have those little novelty hats with a battery operated fan on the brim, but would that be appropriate attire ?

Brother Nikos,

Believe me you would not want to go to the beaches in Northern Ireland.

Filled with dog poo and junkie needles. But how would you sun bath on a beach that is full like the one in your photo?

moved to Greece

http://users.ntua.gr/el00025/hellas/navagio-zakynthos_b.jpg

This is the beach near my cottage.

http://www.laftsoglou.gr/perioxes/veria.jpg

There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing. Because, pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.(Proverbs 12:18,16:24)

First photo is from Zakyntho 600 km away from my home (this location, acropoli and sunset of Sandorini is the most photographed areas in Greece).

The second is 45 km from my home, 5 minutes walk is my cottage.

moved to Greece This is the beach near my cottage.
Hey, did you take a picture of my favorite beach here in my hometown? LOL

108993=5983-mokrousova 1.jpg I wish I would have a cottage there.... But I'm not a shoe-maker unfortunately.....:P So i can only go there on Sundays

108993=5982-mokrousova.jpg

"Absolute rubbish”

So i can only go there on Sundays

So and me. I go only on Sundays because if I go and other days could not build it.:raspberry:

So i can only go there on Sundays

keep a secret :secret: I am tax evader. Do not forget I'm a little Greek, the crook of Europe. I don't work, I going three months holiday and steal the state.