JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Paradise Restored

Timl1980

image.png.3a1fc3e30a493c06b96549cbf0ff6de9.png

The very first thing I remember was the warmth, not that I was warm...no, there was warmth all around me, enveloping me, almost cradling me. I remember letting out a sigh, snuggling down into it, trying to gather it to myself like a cozy blanket made out of...out of what?

Then I realized I was laying in grass; a thick luxuriant grass, blades tickling my skin and brushing lightly against my arms and legs. Scents started to dance past my nostrils, captivating me with memories of fragrant flowers and sunlit meadows and suddenly I could hear the sound of water flowing over rocks somewhere far below me...I was just trying to process all of this information, just starting to gather the courage to open my eyes, and suddenly a voice spoke, a voice that came from a short distance away:

“Why hello! I'm so glad to see that you're awake! When you're ready, please feel free to choose from the clothes sitting on the ground by you and get dressed. There's so much to do, and your family is waiting...” A man's voice said warmly, his deep tones somehow as comforting as the grass I was lying in.

“Wait! Who are you? Where am I at?” I asked, my mind now activating memories as if a fog were lifting, memories of myself lying in a hospital bed, sick and unable to do anything about the disease that was ravaging my body. I remembered my family crowded around the bed, I remembered the tears, the feeling of sadness, of utter helplessness...my eyes had been so heavy, I'd fallen asleep...and now this.

Realization hit me like waves crashing on the beach. Unable to stand, I dropped to my knees, tears flowing from eyes that were suddenly looking up. “Jehovah! Jehovah my God...” I couldn't speak, raw emotions were flowing through me. Suddenly the grass parted a little and out walked a baby lamb, its ears flopping around as it made its way to me on shaky legs. It head butted me a little and gave a tiny bleat as it rubbed against me. Smiling through tears, I picked it up and cuddled it...and then the voice spoke again.

“Ahh, so you met Caleb, eh? His mother is down with the rest of the flock. Come now, your family is so anxious to see you. They've been crying off and on all day...” He trailed off when he saw me on my knees. An understanding smile lit up his face, a smile of such warmth and love that I felt understood and reassured all at once.

“It's okay, Matthew. Jehovah made a promise, and he always keeps his word. I have heard so many stories of how faithful you were. Your family has been exchanging stories of you for days now, and I know Caroline has been begging to come up and get you herself if I don't hurry back with you, so I think we should get moving.”

“Caroline? Wait, my Caroline?” I stammered, my heart suddenly feeling like it was ready to burst with sheer happiness. My dear wife, she was here...she was waiting for me!! Coming to my feet, I walked up and wrapped him in a bear hug, unable to say anything else for the moment.

“Yes, and they're all waiting for you.” He said gently, hugging me back before stepping away and gesturing at a path through the grass I hadn't noticed before. “Come on, let's head there. Family reunions are happening all over the place now, and there's so many incredible stories and experiences being shared. Jehovah is so happy to see his friends coming back, can't you hear all the celebration?”

And suddenly I realized I could indeed hear them as we walked along the path, dozens of buzzing conversations, delighted laughter tinkling among large groups of people dotted along the landscape. Little children were racing around, faces glowing with sheer joy as they chased butterflies and played with animals of all shapes and sizes. The parents were relaxed in the grass, eating from baskets overfilled with fresh fruit and thick loaves of freshly baked bread. Everywhere I looked people were hugging and laughing, tears of joy streamed down the cheeks of some as their voices hummed with awe and excitement.

The path wound down towards a high arcing bridge with a waterfall underneath, the splashing water throwing up a mist that wafted up towards the bridge. As we approached the bridge there were people standing on it, hugging and talking, gazing out over the beautiful valleys that extended beyond it. I heard the sound of lumber being sawed and hammers pounding nails as to my left I could see a group of people working on erecting the framework of a building.

As we moved across the bridge, I noticed a group of young children surrounding a young man with a piece of white linen wrapped around his forehead, keeping his hair in place. He was seated on a stool, a wooden harp on his lap and his voice ringing out above the falling water, “Jehovah is my shepherd...I will lack nothing...” Beautiful lilting notes cascaded out of the instrument, filling the air and mingling with his deep voice that carried the words along, mesmerizing the children and causing me to pause, my heart filling with reverence and awe.

“David gets about a dozen requests a day to sing and play his harp.” The man said knowingly, guiding me forward across the bridge to other side where I could see sets of cascading steps that led down to the gently flowing river below the waterfall. “Come, brother...your family is waiting.” He reminded me gently, beckoning with his hand as we made our way down several sets of beautifully paved stone steps, past a small pool of water teeming with brightly colored fish to the entrance of another building.

“Go on, my brother. They're all waiting for you.” Hugging me, he waved me inside the open door and stepped back. Moving forward, I saw her. My Caroline! My dear dear wife; fresh tears burned hotly in my eyes, blurring my vision as my wife cried out in pure joy and ran into my arms. Suddenly I was surrounded, arms reaching out to pat me, joyful cries from my parents, my grandparents...faces I'd only seen in pictures surrounded me and suddenly a thought burst inside me...words I had memorized came spilling out of grateful lips: And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more...

The warmth was back, and this time I knew what it was, I knew where it came from. I was home, and here I would stay. Jehovah had made the promise, and it is impossible for Jehovah to lie. My mind full of joy, I made my way into the room clinging to my beautiful wife...allowing the warmth to wash over me as I joined in the conversations and excited laughter bursting all over the room. It would take a long time to hear all the news, to hear everyone's story and get to know each and every one of my family, but there's no hurry...after all, we have forever.

I actually got really emotional.  I could see it happen as if it were really happening right in front of me.  You are an amazing writer.   I write also.   Maybe I'll add a story myself sometime soon.   Thank you for sharing. 

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3