JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Question About Attending A Family Vows Renewal

I'm currently facing a dilemma. My cousin, who is a unbeliever has invited me to witness the renewal of her 30 - years marriage vows. The ceremony and reception will take place at a reception hall, and she's deeply involved in her church. Her pastor will be officiating the vows, and many members from her congregation will be in attendance. I'm feeling uncertain about whether or not I should go. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Have you done a search/research on attending weddings of unbelievers and of vow renewal ceremonies?

There are articles which outline Bible principles to consider. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

BLEmom - Certainly, I have conducted extensive research on the subject matter and I am fully aware that attending a family wedding is a conscious decision. However, my inquiry revolves around a slightly different circumstance - attending a wedding where the couple is already married but opting to renew their vows. If you happen to come across any articles that delve into this specific topic, I would greatly appreciate your assistance in pointing me in the right direction.

1 hour ago, GBee said:

If you happen to come across any articles that delve into this specific topic, I would greatly appreciate your assistance in pointing me in the right direction.

I in a query under Vows I found this, maybe it will help you on your decision.

How binding is marriage, and what policy of Jehovah’s Witnesses reflects that understanding?

8 When two Christians marry in a way that is legal and recognized, that union is binding in God’s eyes. Hence, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not repeat a marriage by having multiple legal ceremonies, nor do they renew marriage vows, such as on a couple’s 25th or 50th wedding anniversary. (Matthew 5:37)

Edited by booboo

1 hour ago, GBee said:

BLEmom - Certainly, I have conducted extensive research on the subject matter and I am fully aware that attending a family wedding is a conscious decision. However, my inquiry revolves around a slightly different circumstance - attending a wedding where the couple is already married but opting to renew their vows. If you happen to come across any articles that delve into this specific topic, I would greatly appreciate your assistance in pointing me in the right direction.

You can put renew vows into the search bar and a few references pop up. 
Watchtower Online website 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

The same principles apply to this ceremony as to a wedding.

I found this video very useful which showed a Christian who was invited to a family wedding and evaluates the different principles involved:

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODBiblePrinciples/pub-jwb_201807_3_VIDEO

We don't know what she decided in the end, since it's a personal decision, but the principles are useful.

*** w07 11/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers *** contained some useful principles which apply to this situation as well. Some of them are:

- Christians do not get involved in false worship (John 4:24).

- Take into account how your participation (or lack thereof) will affect others, both in the congregation and outside (Romans 14:13).

- Foresee situations that could press you to compromise or that might prove embarrassing to the wedding party (Proverbs 22:3).