JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Iphone or Droid?

Almost time for phone upgrade and daughter works at Verizon. Verizon is changing their phone plans and daughter remembered I talked about getting a smart phone. I thought of asking here first since I want to download books, talks, etc. from jw.org. Do any of the downloads require Flash? Do I need, or would it be better, if I get a reader? I want to be able to do research and study at work and it's getting harder to carry bible and books along with other things I need at work. I do not intend to buy books which might require a reader. I don't know the answer to that.

My daughter recommended iphone because the screen has a white background which makes for easier reading but if I need to have phone worked on, it has to be sent away. Verizon is right here and we have a great customer service base. :thumbsup: My daughter is worried I'll drive her crazy trying to learn to use a smartphone (should I be insulted??? LOL) but I want something I can use for a couple of years at least.

So, any suggestions? What do you use & why? Help???

I guess you have to decide which you'll get the most use of depending on the features of each product.

Now that I'm used to (and spoiled by) my iPad, I find the screen of the iPhone way too small. The iPad can read pdf files (such as the ones you can download from jw.org, our mags and publications, NWT, etc.) You can also upload talks or mp3 files. You can also use a wireless keyboard with it or use the screen keyboard, which isn't too bad in size when the screen is turned sideways. The iPad also has lots of applications and apps you can use for note-taking! I'm in love with my iPad actually! *blush*

The iPhone is a fantastic phone, but now, I'd choose the iPad and just get a cheaper phone, lol. That's my experience, not everyone would agree with me. It all depends on what you personally need and require. :)

I really like my Droid phone. JW Reader is great!!!

Here is a link to the apps I like on it:

http://www.jwtalk.net/forum/read.php?53,94840,94840#msg-94840

My wife has an iPhone and I like that I am not attached to Apple and iTunes for anything I want to do on my phone.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I have stayed out of this topic because I am very biased against Apple. I do not like their closed environment. They like to remain in control and tell you what you can do on your device. The brothers who have written theocratic apps for Apple have been turned down repeatedly by Apples acceptance board. It also cost the writer of the app that is accepted quite a bit of money to get it on the Apple app market.

Android is "open sourced" anyone can write apps for it and there is no charge to the person who writes the app. You have an infinite number of ways to customize your Android device the way you want it.

This is, of course, my opinion, but I hope it helps!

I have stayed out of this topic because I am very biased against Apple. I do not like their closed environment. They like to remain in control and tell you what you can do on your device. The brothers who have written theocratic apps for Apple have been turned down repeatedly by Apples acceptance board. It also cost the writer of the app that is accepted quite a bit of money to get it on the Apple app market.

Android is "open sourced" anyone can write apps for it and there is no charge to the person who writes the app. You have an infinite number of ways to customize your Android device the way you want it.

This is, of course, my opinion, but I hope it helps!

Totally agree.

The public slanging match between Apple and Adobe (Flash) in 2010 went unnoticed by too many iPhone users and the reason and outcome has snuck up on people without them noticing until now.

Adobe went with Android as did thousands of app designers because of Apples holier-than-thou demands. They asked for money from designers of apps where Android let the market decide which apps win and which ones sink into oblivion.

Apple is not 'international friendly' either. Specific rules apply in USA that don't translate to Australian communications law and use.

One wish I have is that both platforms would make apps more local friendly and display apps for countries specifically and App Stores did not force us to plough through millions of apps in Japanese, Swahilli, Russian etc. I'm sure users in those countries are sick of doing the same searches through all the English ones too.

Short answer to this demand . . .give us an App Language/Zone Filter.

I have all Apple products in my home, 2 iPhones, 4 iPads, MacBook pro, MacBook air, 2 Thunderbolts, and Apple TV. They all work great, never crash, no problems. You plug it in, turn it on and it just works. Yes, the white screen and Verizon service are both winners too!!!

That being said my father swears (not literally) by all things Droid. He used his tablet f the meetings and his phone has "facial recognition" (apparently that's a Droid draw). Other than that I'm not a fan, I've seen his stuff crash before. honestly he uses his stuff for everything, including his job (swimming pool designer) and I just use mine for fun, email, pictures, etc and there is nothing he can do that I want to do. Now I'm sure there are things he can do that the apple stuff can't but it's very unlikely that you or I will ever have a desire or need to do those things. Lol

I asked him one day about it and he was like "see, I can have multiple screens open at once.....blah blah blah". I was like, "ok.....so?". Like I said I have no desire to do that so I didn't see the appeal. Plus I'm at the mercy of whatever my husbands buys me and he has a computer science degree and LOVES the Apple products so there is o way he would let me convince him to buy something different since he thinks he is an expert. I will admit he does know more than me in this area, BUT this area alone! :lol1:

Get the Droid Razr Maxx. Android operating system, blazing fast 4G speeds, and a whopping 3300mah battery that gives you the longest time off the charger of any phone on the market. You will NOT be disappointed.

I got one a couple days ago :P

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

For me international phone was also a big deal. I needed a phone I could just buy a SIM card for and put it in and go. iPhone isn't like that at all. So, I bought an android phone that would let me change out SIM cards - no problem.

In Italy and Vietnam the corner grocery stores (like 7-elevens here) sell SIM cards with x amount of minutes built in - very handy and cheap.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I have to chime in and even this thread out a bit.

I LOVE my iphone!! It's works flawlessly.

There's a reason why the iphone has dominated the smart phone market since it came out.

It's just a simple well oiled machine.

It's built extremely well.I've had my iphone 4 for two years roughly and it has not crashed once.

I love it just as much as the day i bought:infatuated:

and I'm a PC guy:cry:

I have to chime in and even this thread out a bit.

There's a reason why the iphone has dominated the smart phone market since it came out.

It's just a simple well oiled machine. . . . . .

I am glad for you.

This made me laugh because I work for a phone company and set up handsets & equipment in new stores . . so I meet the bosses of the company a lot. Many of them admire me for haveing a HTC and Samsung phones . . and the quirkiest comment so far was . . " at least you are not a sheep!" . . (I smile quietly to myself)

Australia has a coverage area as big as USA and most people travel outside the major cities a lot . .iPhone is not the best handset for the rural areas.

Neil, have you traveled outside of Canada with it? Does it work on US network too?

To be honest Jerry I'm not a 100% sure.

I haven't traveled outside of Canada since i purchased the phone.

My phone is locked to a Canadian phone carrier (Bell) .

SO most likely you would have to "jail break" the phone so it could accept a US carrier.

Jail breaking is very easy though,and by the way my iphone takes a SIM card (its the new mini SIM cards)

SO theoretically i would say YES..

I am glad for you.

This made me laugh because I work for a phone company and set up handsets & equipment in new stores . . so I meet the bosses of the company a lot. Many of them admire me for haveing a HTC and Samsung phones . . and the quirkiest comment so far was . . " at least you are not a sheep!" . . (I smile quietly to myself)

Don't worry Jan I'm not drinking all the apple cool aid.I only own an iphone and an ipod.

I'm 100% OK with being a sheep, its better then being a goat.(tu)

It's just a simple well oiled machine.

As of February 2012...

48% of activated smartphones were Android.

32% were Iphones.

12% were Blackberry's.

8% were all others.

Sorry, but your apple has a worm in it :P

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

My wife has an iPhone also. She loves it. It is as you said - simple & always works.

No silly customizations to get in the way - like live tiles or Widgets.

Soon .....

Since August of 2011 on a 2 year Verizon contract it's been an LG Revolution Android phone. Nice large screen and easy to install JW apps. Some free and some charge $.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/on-the-ministry-lite/otmr2.ui

More apps to right of this free app. On The Ministry the full version even has a GPS for RV's.

The wol.jw.org site makes much of the apps not entirely necessary.

For listening to jw.org the app:

JW Player 2.0 2.3.2 (Android) is very good:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pm.jwplayer