JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Reasons Why We Do Not Celebrate “Thanksgiving Day”

In the next few days, could an unbelieving family member or neighbor ask us about Thanksgiving Day and why we don't celebrate it?

Yes, this could easily happen. So I thought I would post a few interesting points from our literature about the origins and history of this day in order for us to be, “….always ready to make a defense before everyone who demands of you a reason… but doing so with a mild temper and deep respect.” (1 Peter 3:15) 

• Where might the Thanksgiving Day idea have originated?

Spoiler

*** g76 11/22 p. 12 A National “Day of Thanks”—The Dream and the Reality ***
    While admitting that the present celebration has some connection with the Pilgrims, where did these get the idea of a thanksgiving festival? Historians note that ‘harvest festivals’ were among the oldest known holidays. And there were several different harvest celebrations in existence at the time of the Pilgrims.

Of special interest is the fact that the Pilgrims did not flee directly from England to North America. They first fled to Holland. Although religiously free there, they were disappointed with the industrial way of life, the “new” language and their economic circumstances. So from Holland they sailed on The Mayflower to the “New World.” But, argue some, the time in Holland would have brought them in touch with European harvest festivals.

So there were a number of pagan “harvest festivals” of which the Pilgrims may have got this idea from to create their own tradition. 

• Did everyone agree that this was a good tradition or holiday to start? 
    Spoiler

Eventually this holiday was observed annually in the New England area. However, it was not until 1789 that the first national Thanksgiving Day was proclaimed by George Washington. And, even after that precedent, this practice was not carried on by succeeding presidents. It is claimed that Thomas Jefferson condemned it during his two terms. Finally, as already noted, in 1863 Abraham Lincoln established a yearly national festival, which ensuing presidents have honored.  

Why did some people oppose the idea? For one thing, many governors felt that it was an example of state interference with religion. Actually, in time the celebration itself became more political.

For example, Mrs. Hale and her supporters intended it to be both a day of patriotism and religion. She wrote in one article: “Then in every quarter of the globe our nationality would be recognized . . . every American . . . would thrill his soul with the purest feelings of patriotism and the deepest emotions of thankfulness for his religious enjoyments.” That this idea was held by others is noted in The American Book of Days: “It has frequently been the custom for clergymen to preach political sermons on Thanksgiving Day. In the early years of the nineteenth century their sermons were extremely partisan.”

• But doesn’t this Thanksgiving Day have approval from the Bible? Did not the Israelites celebrate harvest festivals?  
    Spoiler

The apostle Paul, in fact, became concerned about Jewish Christians who still were “scrupulously observing days and months and seasons and years.” He remarked: “I fear for you, that somehow I have toiled to no purpose respecting you.” (Gal. 4:10, 11) Why was Paul so concerned? Because, despite his hard work, these former Jews were clinging to religious observances that God no longer desired. They were missing the “spirit” of Christianity.

The early Christians were admonished to apply the principle found at Ephesians 5:20. In the name of Jesus Christ, they were to ‘give thanks always for all things to their God and Father.’ Yes, an attitude of constant appreciation for God’s provisions and protection was emphasized repeatedly. The words “thanks” and “thanksgiving” are used over forty times in the Christian Greek Scriptures.

On the contrary, the idea of a single day of thanks undoubtedly would have reminded the early Christians of the pagan Romans, who held an annual thanksgiving celebration in December. A writer of the second century noted: “We [Christians] are accused of a lower sacrilege, because we do not celebrate along with you the holidays of the Cæsars in a manner forbidden alike by modesty, decency, and purity.” 

*** ijwfq article 59 par. 11 Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Certain Holidays? ***
    Thanksgiving.

Like Kwanzaa, this holiday is rooted in ancient harvest celebrations that honored various gods. Over time, “these ancient folk traditions were taken over by the Christian church.” —A Great and Godly Adventure—The Pilgrims and the Myth of the First Thanksgiving.

• Thanksgiving Day is also a nice remembrance of the peaceful relations between the Pilgrims and Indians in early America right? How did the Puritans/Pilgrims view the native North American Indians? 
    Spoiler

Arrogance Brings Violence

Considering themselves to be the “elect” of God, many Puritans viewed the native peoples as subhuman squatters on the land. This attitude created resentment, and some natives began making attacks. So the Puritan leaders relaxed laws involving the Sabbath enough to allow men to carry guns on the way to worship. Then, in 1675, things got worse.

Seeing the loss of his people’s territory, Metacomet, also known as King Philip, of the Wampanoag American Indians started raiding Puritan settlements, burning down houses, and massacring settlers. The Puritans retaliated, and the fighting went on for months. 

Thankfully Jehovah’s people offer Him thanksgiving everyday with “spirit and truth.” (John 4:24)

😃 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Basically I told a plumber that I'm no into that holiday and I thankful everyday we have freedom too. Plus, I told him that others should  leave the constitution alone because it help us with the freedom too. Plus, many Native Americans in not happy with Thanksgiving because white men came over took their lands. I can see their view point on this matter because I have Native American blood in me too.