JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Kia Cars Easy Prey

Can you believe people! Look at the depravity in humans. Whatever you do don't buy a Kia 

https://news.yahoo.com/kia-owner-fed-multiple-thefts-042045044.html

Car thefts continues to plague Western Washington with Kia and Hyundai owners being targeted.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

7 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Can you believe people! Look at the depravity in humans. Whatever you do don't buy a Kia 

https://news.yahoo.com/kia-owner-fed-multiple-thefts-042045044.html

Car thefts continues to plague Western Washington with Kia and Hyundai owners being targeted.

It's shows that the only thing holding some back is the possibility of getting caught.  The world has no moral code.  

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

On 11/29/2023 at 10:45 AM, ChrisW said:

It's shows that the only thing holding some back is the possibility of getting caught.  The world has no moral code.  

That's their moral code: If you get caught, it's bad and immoral. If you get away with it, then you're good.

I went to Hyundai for the software upgrade relative to this.   I was not charged for it and they also put a sticker on the side window indicating it had enhanced security.  This is for those that have a key/fob ignition like mine.    In some cases they were plugging into the USB port in the car and doing their thing and getting into the system.   Hard to believe these people.

Nothing like a bit of installing a bit of old tech to be used on the electrical supply line to the starter motor. What is it you may ask?

image.png.b3c2092df296c77be49f49e537268897.png

Have the switch located in a spot hidden somewhere where you can easily access when you are in the car yourself. Such as under your seat, under the dash, in the glove box, or centre console, or disguise it as an auxilary switch on the dash as something else like driving lights or something similar.

Even if they can get into you car with out your keys or key fob, if the activating power supply to the solenoid of starter motor line had a switch installed, they cannot start your engine, especially when it is an automatic.

I knew a brother who had wired up the cigarette lighter to be the switch to the starter motor. You pushed in the cigarette lighter, turn the key to start to start the motor, then release the cigarette lighter to disable the starter motor. No one could ever know that that was the disabling device.

Edited by Pabo

54 minutes ago, Pabo said:

Nothing like a bit of installing a bit of old tech to be used on the electrical supply line to the starter motor. What is it you may ask?

image.png.b3c2092df296c77be49f49e537268897.png

Have the switch located in a spot hidden somewhere where you can easily access when you are in the car yourself. Such as under your seat, under the dash, in the glove box, or centre console, or disguise it as an auxilary switch on the dash as something else like driving lights or something similar.

Even if they can get into you car with out your keys or key fob, if the activating power supply to the solenoid of starter motor line had a switch installed, they cannot start your engine, especially when it is an automatic.

I knew a brother who had wired up the cigarette lighter to be the switch to the starter motor. You pushed in the cigarette lighter, turn the key to start to start the motor, then release the cigarette lighter to disable the starter motor. No one could ever know that that was the disabling device.

Biff Tannen's car in 'Back To The Future.'

Someone has to be able to get into the car to access the USB port.  We keep our Hyundai locked all the time.

I think it is a good idea.  It just takes some wire, and a little know-how, and it can be hidden where no one would see it.  It adds another layer of protection to the vehicle.

Until God's Kingdom comes, we have to be aware of thieves everywhere.

8 hours ago, Osprey said:

Interesting, but not sure this is a good idea for modern cars. :)

If the car has a starter motor, it can be done, as the cars computer system does not monitor the starter motor until it is engaged.

As for full electric cars, you cannot do this.

But with many hybrid cars, it is still possible to immobilise the starter motor, unless they use a different method of starting the internal combustable engine (ICE). But the theives may still drive off with your vehicle using any residual power in the battery may have, but the ICE will not start up if the starting mechanism has been isolated. So it may.limit their range or use of the vehicle.

On 12/7/2023 at 3:33 PM, Pabo said:

If the car has a starter motor, it can be done, as the cars computer system does not monitor the starter motor until it is engaged.

As for full electric cars, you cannot do this.

But with many hybrid cars, it is still possible to immobilise the starter motor, unless they use a different method of starting the internal combustable engine (ICE). But the theives may still drive off with your vehicle using any residual power in the battery may have, but the ICE will not start up if the starting mechanism has been isolated. So it may.limit their range or use of the vehicle.

I had to check on this myself.  I could not find any way to install such a switch in an EV.  So you are correct according to what I found out.

We had a Toyota Prius hybrid about 10 years ago.  My wife was driving and ran out of gas.  We only made it about 2 blocks before the car quit.  I am not sure how long it took my wife to realize that we were out of gas though.  

• 3 weeks later...