JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I Have A Confession To Make...

Funny you say that. I think a lot of us are to varying degrees.  So I took up diamond painting but then ended up listening to music or talks while doing it. So does that count? 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

7 hours ago, Timl1980 said:

I finally got it off my chest!

Do you usually wear it on a lanyard or lay down with it sitting there most of the time?

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Funny you say that. I think a lot of us are to varying degrees.  So I took up diamond painting but then ended up listening to music or talks while doing it. So does that count? 

I would say no, I'm talking specifically about being unable to put your cell phone down for very long. I would love to see some pictures of your diamond painting though, it sounds really cool!

4 hours ago, computerwiz said:

You and just about every other warm-blooded human being.  It's sad but true.  This little story here hits even harder:

Wow! Those were really good! And sad but true. I try to think of others, but oftentimes my cell phone wins out. It is so weird how an inanimate object could pull my affections in a completely different direction... but it has happened before. So, thank you for the awesome reminders!!

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Do you usually wear it on a lanyard or lay down with it sitting there most of the time?

Most of the time around my neck as a lanyard...but sometimes even a self ridiculer needs help... so I just lay down and stretch out and let it fall across my chest 🤣

3 hours ago, Timl1980 said:

I just lay down and stretch out and let it fall across my chest

Yeah, but you must rolled over or something because you said you "finally got it off my chest!" ... so where do you wear/keep the phone now?

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

Yeah, but you must rolled over or something because you said you "finally got it off my chest!" ... so where do you wear/keep the phone now?

Well, besides the turn of phrase meaning...I was once rolled over physically by my wife for not paying attention to something she was saying. 🤣 That had the potential to be a defining moment in where I kept it...and the answer would be now down low by my side I suppose...in hopes she won't see it.🤣😂 But mostly it's now in my pocket🤪

One thing you could do is download some ebooks on your phone and read them instead of scrolling through social media whenever you're waiting for something (like an appointment) and have nothing with you but your phone. That's what I've been doing. Also if you're like me and constantly think of random stuff to search up throughout the day, you could create a "List of things to search up" in a note-taking app and write down those thoughts every time they pop up. I use Google Keep for that so I could easily do it regardless of which device I'm on. 

I have had long discussions about this very topic. Whenever I see a Bible character stumble I try to imagine what similar test I could face/be tempted by. I imagined Armageddon survivors would complain about food as well (just think of what it will be like when we run out of Twinkies).

My idea of the level of technology has changed ever since the FS said that they may have to finish filming the Gospel According to Jesus in the New System, implying there will be a considerable amount of technology at our disposal. But even if I imagined I would have my tablet or phone, I know I won't have the same apps available. I would lose all of my games, contacts, my notes in the JW app, everything. I sit with that feeling and really try to imagine what it would do to me and what would really hurt to lose and why; and honestly, I think I'll be ok.

Repetitive games like chess (for me it's match-3 games) are easy to give up because they are merely distractions and in the New System we will be SO busy. For long-term games (like the Sims) that I've unlocked and built up the game over many years, I know it will sting a little to lose, but again, once I am busy doing something of real value I know I won't miss it. It's shallow.

I won't be waiting around for someone to send me a message on social media and I won't be refreshing this forum 10 times a day, because i'll be busy! So what else do I truly need by device for besides studying for meetings? Now maybe if we had to start looking up scriptures manually again I'd be prone to grumble. "Back in my day we just clicked a link", I'd tell the youth (just kidding, I'd keep it to myself).

Phones give us a dopamine hit when we get notifications and use certain app features, so it can truly be an addiction, but after Armageddon, are you really going to be worried about addictions? Won't Jehovah help? I wouldn't worry about how it will feel to lose it in the future (we will cope somehow), but I do think you should do some research on phone addiction and start trying to break free (or at least set boundaries). I would write down every single thing you like about using your phone (every app, every game) and write next to it how you would feel to lose it and how it would impact your life. Be honest, most things you don't need. Then I would set limits on which hours of the day you absolutely don't need your phone - AND STICK TO IT (with your wife). You can train yourself over time to have more self-control. 💜

I will have to admit, my phone is close to my heart .............

............. since I carry it in my shirt pocket

image.png.c929b1d4345a81925419cb675daec646.png

Edited by Qapla

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 4:34 PM, Timl1980 said:

I...I am addicted to my cell phone!

[...]

And...most sadly of all...both my wife and I will be sitting in the same room and still we end up scrolling or playing games on our phones, (she plays Tetris and a few other such games, I play online chess almost constantly).

First make a pray to Jehovah, a very simple and short one will be enough.

For the games part, pick the game that you play the most, the one that steals your time more, and uninstall it.

Mechanically, without overthinking too much, just uninstall it.

Then enjoy a couple of days of peace before moving on to the next thieve.

For messaging apps try to turn off the wifi and/or data connections and put the cellphone in airplane mode after a certain hour, like 18h00 or 19h00

Jehovah will help you to get there.

Know this my beloved brothers, I am not a native English speaker.

Please be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. (James 1:19)