JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Houston trip advice?

So me and my wife will need to stay in Houston, close to the medical center area, and boy if we aren't breaking the bank for her surgery, we sure are breaking it for the hotel!  

image.png.1764d44a3dd87db6221fbe1fdab63aaf.png

Anyone have any advice for either getting a discount or a cheaper hotel that is very very close to the medical center?  Last time she had this surgery, she had an emergency complication that thankfully we were close enough to tend to it.  So I'd like to make sure we are close.....

1 hour ago, computerwiz said:

So me and my wife will need to stay in Houston, close to the medical center area, and boy if we aren't breaking the bank for her surgery, we sure are breaking it for the hotel!  

Anyone have any advice for either getting a discount or a cheaper hotel that is very very close to the medical center?  Last time she had this surgery, she had an emergency complication that thankfully we were close enough to tend to it.  So I'd like to make sure we are close.....

You might check with the HLC brothers to see if anyone local has an extra room they can spare.  That's what I did when my son had to have surgery in Dallas. The brothers were so kind... ❤️ 

I also tend to float out requests like this to Facebook.  I have friends who live all over the world and generally, somebody knows someone who can help.  I hope all goes well! :) 

Edited by Hope

I had to spend 1 week away from home for education purposes. My congregation elders called a local KH near the hospital I was testing at and asked if anyone had an extra room I could stay in... It went extremely well. I arrived to a comfortable room with a welcome basket of fruit, healthy snacks, and a mini frig with a bedtime snack of a turkey and Swiss sandwich, and a variety of tea, juice, soda and water. A towel and washcloth set on foot of bed. The next day I stopped by grocery store and prepared supper for her and her brother. I did this the next four nights then left movie passes and a bottle if wine on the Dining room table the morning I left. It was a great experience.  

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

9 hours ago, computerwiz said:

Anyone have any advice for either getting a discount or a cheaper hotel that is very very close to the medical center? 

Houston, you have a problem! - Hotel prices that is.

Staying anywhere close by hospitals or airports are somewhat expensive, because they prey on the needy. Same too with carparks as well.

You may need to bunk up with your missus. Need any medical work yourself? 

17 hours ago, Hope said:

You might check with the HLC brothers

15 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

My congregation elders called a local KH near the hospital I was testing at and asked if anyone had an extra room I could stay in

Good ideas!  Thanks!  😃

10 hours ago, Pabo said:

You may need to bunk up with your missus. Need any medical work yourself? 

I'm going with her for sure.  The surgery is serious enough I wouldn't let her go on her own or even with someone else.  

I do need my own, actually.  But not from Houston.  And nothing major...

My son had spinal surgery but we couldn't afford for both of us to go; we maxed out credit cards just to afford the plane tix and the evil co-pay (still paying for all that). 😢  So, I was doubly grateful knowing that the local friends would be able to look after him.  He stayed with a lovely couple for a couple of days 'til he was able to sit long enough for his flight back to Portland.  They took care of him for me... ❤️ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 3:18 AM, LeslieDean said:

I had to spend 1 week away from home for education purposes. My congregation elders called a local KH near the hospital I was testing at and asked if anyone had an extra room I could stay in... It went extremely well. I arrived to a comfortable room with a welcome basket of fruit, healthy snacks, and a mini frig with a bedtime snack of a turkey and Swiss sandwich, and a variety of tea, juice, soda and water. A towel and washcloth set on foot of bed. The next day I stopped by grocery store and prepared supper for her and her brother. I did this the next four nights then left movie passes and a bottle if wine on the Dining room table the morning I left. It was a great experience.  

I love how they went above and beyond for you and how you endeavored to do the same.