JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Taste buds! I hate broccoli, my wife loves it, why?

I have been reading about the taste buds in our mouths. From what I have read they are quite interesting. They get replaced about every 2 weeks and yet our taste of food does not change that much. I still hate broccoli, my wife still loves it. I found this interesting information (to me I guess, since I am 65) 

Q: Do your taste buds change as you age, and if so, why?

A: It is not uncommon for our sense of taste to change, or diminish, with time. This is due to many factors. As we age, the number of taste buds that we have decreases. This usually begins to occur in our 40s if we’re female or in our 50s if we’re male.

At the same time, our remaining taste buds also begin to shrink, or atrophy, and do not function as well. This results in decreased sensitivity to taste, typically affecting salty or sweet, and eventually sour or bitter foods. Around the same time, our sense of smell may also start to decrease, which can contribute to the loss of taste.

—Oral surgeon Michael Horan, MD, DDS, PhD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a plethora of information about our amazing taste buds and why like or dislike certain foods. Too much for me to do justice. I encourage everyone to learn about their taste buds, this would make a great family study project! 

th.jpeg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

I have always liked broccoli, but I like it raw on a salad.  My wife always cooks broccoli.  And it just doesn't taste as good to me that way.

One thing I never liked is coconut.  It never tasted good to me.  I don't like German Chocolate Cake because of the coconut.  Never liked anything with a coconut taste.

Another thing is popcorn.  The taste is OK, but it gets stuck in my teeth pretty bad.

I'd think what determines if you like or dislike a food has more to do with your brain than your taste buds. All the taste buds will determine is what tastes you're more sensitive or desensitized to, I'd think. Preferences would be more based on the dopamine release in the brain when eating a familiar food you enjoy. 
That being said, I like broccoli, but only cooked, and with a little seasoning, myself. 

2 hours ago, IcemanEli said:

I’ve always loved broccolis, even though they make me very gassy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried ricing broccoli? 
I find having it chopped in a blender and steaming it a bit, helps break down the fiber to make it more easily digestible.