JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sister stabbed at the Kingdom Hall.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4325 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/18848997/deputies-wife-stabbed-by-husband-at-church

Church members held a man until deputies arrived after they said he stabbed his wife while she was attending a bible study Thursday.

Greenville County deputies said they were called to Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses at 1400 Old Spartanburg Rd. about 2:15 p.m. where they found church members holding 46-year-old Leonard Edwards Jr. in the sanctuary and his wife lying on the floor with a stab wound to the back.

Church members told deputies that Edwards arrived at the church while his wife was attending a bible study and asked for her to come out of the church, which she did.

His wife immediately ran back inside with Edwards chasing after her carrying a knife, deputies said. They said he knocked her down and stabbed her in the back before the members could stop and detain him.

Edwards was arrested and charged with attempted murder. Deputies said additional charges were pending and he will have a bond hearing later Thursday.

This happened at my hall today. My mother-in-law (80 years old) was attending...along with 4 others from my hall. What a horrible thing to go through. Very scary for those attending. I hope the sister is okay. I haven't heard how she is yet.

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

Brenda, If you don't feel comfortable answering, I understand, just trying to grasp the situation, do you know the sister? Is her husband a witness too? Please let us know how she is doing if you can.

I didn't know the sister...and I haven't heard how she is doing. She is at the local hospital. She was divorced from the man (he was not a brother). According to my mother-in-law...he came and asked her to come outside...and she did. Then she ran back inside and he was chasing her with a pocket knife. He knocked her to the ground and stabbed her in the back before the brothers could subdue him. He had been drinking (the brothers could smell it). I'm praying that she will be okay. What a horrible situation she is in. I feel for her.

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

Brenda, how terrible for the sister involved as well as the others there. I hope, too, that she will be okay and find peace in her life. Does she have children involved? And if so, are they being taken care of and okay? I'm so sorry that this happened. You all will be in my prayers tonight.

Brenda, how terrible for the sister involved as well as the others there. I hope, too, that she will be okay and find peace in her life. Does she have children involved? And if so, are they being taken care of and okay? I'm so sorry that this happened. You all will be in my prayers tonight.

I didn't hear anyone mention children. The man didn't look very old...many in his late 30's or 40's. My mother-in-law said that he was upset because she wasn't at work...instead was at the Pioneer Service School. I don't know how they know that (if she said that or if he said that). But when someone is intoxicated...there is no reasoning...so who knows what was going on in his mind.

I didn't hear anyone mention children. The man didn't look very old...many in his late 30's or 40's. My mother-in-law said that he was upset because she wasn't at work...instead was at the Pioneer Service School. I don't know how they know that (if she said that or if he said that). But when someone is intoxicated...there is no reasoning...so who knows what was going on in his mind.

Mother-in-law just called...the sister is going to be okay and will be released from the hospital around 9:00 pm this evening. Also I stated earlier that they were divorced (she says they were separated about 4 months and she has a restraining order on him). They are moving the Pioneer Service School to another KH for the time being. So very thankful that she will be okay.

Mother-in-law just called...the sister is going to be okay and will be released from the hospital around 9:00 pm this evening. Also I stated earlier that they were divorced (she says they were separated about 4 months and she has a restraining order on him). They are moving the Pioneer Service School to another KH for the time being. So very thankful that she will be okay.

So glad to hear she will be released tonight. It sounds as though it may have been a flesh wound and did not puncture any vital organs. Yes, when intoxicated who knows their thoughts? They (the thoughts) are usually disconnected and do not make any sense other than rage and vengeance. I had my first husband come into the Kingdom Hall one Sunday, walk down the aisle to about the fourth row where my four children and I were sitting, and just stood there, glaring at me, until I got up and followed him outside. I was so humiliated, I wound up sitting in the anteroom to the bathroom crying the entire rest of the meeting. He was VERY jealous, and wanted to make sure I was at the meeting. He used to follow me to and from work, and sometimes showed up at my job to make sure I was there. Little did I know that he was committing adultery for the majority of our married life. I feared for my life and divorced him after years of beatings. Many of the times he was intoxicated.

Sorry to ramble on like this. I really feel empathy for this sister. :wave:

So glad to hear she will be released tonight. It sounds as though it may have been a flesh wound and did not puncture any vital organs. Yes, when intoxicated who knows their thoughts? They (the thoughts) are usually disconnected and do not make any sense other than rage and vengeance. I had my first husband come into the Kingdom Hall one Sunday, walk down the aisle to about the fourth row where my four children and I were sitting, and just stood there, glaring at me, until I got up and followed him outside. I was so humiliated, I wound up sitting in the anteroom to the bathroom crying the entire rest of the meeting. He was VERY jealous, and wanted to make sure I was at the meeting. He used to follow me to and from work, and sometimes showed up at my job to make sure I was there. Little did I know that he was committing adultery for the majority of our married life. I feared for my life and divorced him after years of beatings. Many of the times he was intoxicated.

Sorry to ramble on like this. I really feel empathy for this sister. :wave:

I am so sorry you had to go through that. We have no idea what others are going through when we go to the meetings and see our sisters who have unbelieving mates. I would be inclined to think everything at home is okay...because they are there. I apparently live in a bubble...because I have never had to experience that. You are to be commented for continuing your meeting attendance under those circumstance. That shows that you truly love Jehovah and you know where to find refreshment...among Jehovah's people. I hope you are experiences a much calmer life now.

Yes, Brenda, thank you for your comments and encouragement. I became inactive about ten years after that episode, and it was during that time of inactivity that I met my current husband. I became active again (thank you Jehovah!) several years ago with my current husband an unbeliever. We have had MANY good conversations about the truth, and he knows this is the truth, but he just won't take that first step. However, he is VERY encouraging for me to go to all the meetings and out in field service as much as I can possibly go. I am now auxiliary pioneering, and he asks me from time to time how I am doing with my hours. So, yes, life is MUCH calmer now and so much more enjoyable!

Yes, Brenda, thank you for your comments and encouragement. I became inactive about ten years after that episode, and it was during that time of inactivity that I met my current husband. I became active again (thank you Jehovah!) several years ago with my current husband an unbeliever. We have had MANY good conversations about the truth, and he knows this is the truth, but he just won't take that first step. However, he is VERY encouraging for me to go to all the meetings and out in field service as much as I can possibly go. I am now auxiliary pioneering, and he asks me from time to time how I am doing with my hours. So, yes, life is MUCH calmer now and so much more enjoyable!

Oh good, I am happy for you now. It sounds like your husband is favorably disposed...so maybe he will take 'that first step' before long. I'm sure your zeal for the ministry is a good example for him. You never know what might make him want to take hold of the truth...and make it his own.

We have a sister who is a pioneer in another KH. She was violently opposed to the Truth when her husband first learned and tried to share it with her. She went to the KH one Sunday and yanked her boys up out of the chairs and pulled then down the isle all the time cursing her husband. Now she is a full time pioneer!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

We used to hear often that a wife can win over her husband with Christian conduct . . and it is true.

But there is a time and place to leave too . . there was a public spectacle locally years ago where a sister stayed with a bullying brute because she thought she was pleasing Jehovah even though she went to meetings with black eyes and broken bones.

He finally shot her dead and neighbours went on the News to detail how long her torture had gone on. They reported how it make them ill to see her stay and they all saw this tragedy coming.

Not one the most upbuilding events for the congregation. :no:

Advise and help for sisters in danger has changed markedly since then. Thankfully. Stories of survival during brutality are no longer part of theocratic family guidance.

We used to hear often that a wife can win over her husband with Christian conduct . . and it is true.

But there is a time and place to leave too . . there was a public spectacle locally years ago where a sister stayed with a bullying brute because she thought she was pleasing Jehovah even though she went to meetings with black eyes and broken bones.

He finally shot her dead and neighbours went on the News to detail how long her torture had gone on. They reported how it make them ill to see her stay and they all saw this tragedy coming.

Not one the most upbuilding events for the congregation. :no:

Advise and help for sisters in danger has changed markedly since then. Thankfully. Stories of survival during brutality are no longer part of theocratic family guidance.

The sister has to be reasonable, if their lives are truly in danger they must leave. Some of them do see some seed of hope in their husbands but a man can kill a woman with a single blow so they must be "cautious as serpents". The elders in my best friends congregation told her they didn't want to be called to identify her body because her husband would get drunk and beat her, he beat her and denied her food when she was pregnant; she left.

I didn't know what was going on at the time, I think that's for the best because it would have been hard for me not to have gone over and dragged her bodily out of the home. She knew that and didn't tell me.

May Jehovah the God of tender mercy help all our sisters in these situations.