JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A tragedy (burnt house) and a quick financial response from friends

Yesterday (on Friday February 2nd 2024 at 3am CET) in a town 15 miles from our town a fire broke out in a house where one couple of friends lives. They are in our circuit. Their neighbor's gas cylinder exploded and set their house on fire.

Everyone is okay but they and their parents lost everything material, especially the roof over their heads. Still, the response from friends was impressive. The couple started an online fundraiser with the goal of 100,000 PLN (that is about 24,000 USD) to demolish the building and possibly rebuild. In less than 24 hours they received 150% of their goal that is 150,000 PLN.

If you want you can check it here:  https://zrzutka.pl/stefanko# and see the photos as well.

The last one is very moving:

Fyt67usXFQX2Rfvb.jpg

The words on the fridge read:

faith

respect

joy

When I'm afraid, I put my trust in you

Psalm

joy

patience

From the page:

We are raising money to rebuild the house after the fire that occurred on Friday, February 2, at 3 am.

At around 03:00 we were awakened by an explosion, the shaking of the building and the noise of shattering roof tiles.

There was silence all around, and after a while we heard a shout coming from the first floor, where our parents slept - "a wall collapsed!".

It was the wall in the bedroom, through which there was now a view of the neighbor's apartment with a hissing stream of fire from the gas cylinder.
We hurriedly evacuated the building, taking only what was at hand. The fire was spreading very quickly.

We stood in front of the building and watched as clouds of smoke rose from the roof along with the flames of the fire - devouring everything we left inside.

In the aftermath of the fire, the walls were flooded with water. The ceilings are cracked and collapsed and the roof is burned.

The building was completely destroyed and with it equipment, our clothes, our daily belongings - everything we left behind when fleeing the fire.

After all was over, all that was left was a burned-out area, and my parents and I lost the roof over our heads.

The building was not insured, so we are asking for financial support in these difficult times. The funds raised will be used to get back on our feet after this tragedy, demolish the building, remove debris and rebuild.

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

4 minutes ago, Michał said:

Yesterday (on Friday February 2nd 2024 at 3am CET) in a town 15 miles from our town a fire broke out in a house where one couple of friends lives. They are in our circuit. Their neighbor's gas cylinder exploded and set their house on fire.

Everyone is okay but they and their parents lost everything material, especially the roof over their heads. Still, the response from friends was impressive. The couple started an online fundraiser with the goal of 100,000 PLN (that is about 24,000 USD) to demolish the building and possibly rebuild. In less than 24 hours they received 150% of their goal that is 150,000 PLN.

If you want you can check it here:  https://zrzutka.pl/stefanko# and see the photos as well.

The last one is very moving:

Fyt67usXFQX2Rfvb.jpg

The words on the fridge read:

faith

respect

joy

When I'm afraid, I put my trust in you

Psalm

joy

patience

From the page:

Thanks for the support 

Can I ask, how does that work?  Do people not have home insurance or things like that? 

My roof got blown off in a storm 2 weeks ago and myself and my family have been living with water coming in since then. Insurance will eventually get round to sorting it. When is the question though. 
Clearly things are different here in the UK. Just wondered how that all works elsewhere.
Always wondered especially when watching some disaster clear up on jw broadcasting etc all over. Never seen that here. 

Edited by Mykyl

Can I ask, how does that work?  Do people not have home insurance or things like that? 

My roof got blown off in a storm 2 weeks ago and myself and my family have been living with water coming in since then. Insurance will eventually get round to sorting it. When is the question though. 
Clearly things are different here in the UK. Just wondered how that all works elsewhere.
Always wondered especially when watching some disaster clear up on jw broadcasting etc all over. Never seen that here. 

Honestly, I don’t know. It was stated that they didn’t have house insurance and I can’t think of a reason why. The second half of the house was insured.

House Insurance is widely available in Poland so I wondered why they didn’t have it but now it is no use for me for asking them these questions.

(Tapatalk)

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

That’s not quite how I meant it sorry.

I suppose I mean is it normal not to have insurance in the US or other places. Is it prohibitively expensive there. I know it’s not needed by law. 

Edited by Mykyl

In Poland the cost is on average like $100-200/year for an apartment and $200-1000/year for a house. Of course it can be lower/higher depending on different circumstances.

Unfortunately, here as everywhere else I guess insurance companies try to minimize the damage and it takes them a lot of time.

(Tapatalk)

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

14 hours ago, Michał said:

and $200-1000/year for a house. Of course it can be lower/higher 

I only wish our house insurance was that much. Ours is about AU$7,000 per year, but this includes our workshed.

On 2/5/2024 at 12:34 PM, Mykyl said:

So sorry about your roof!!!  Did you guys put tarps over the roof in the meantime?  Does insurance not cover a hotel or something while it’s being repaired?  Yikes!!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”