JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Cargo Ship hits a Bridge

I wonder what are the rules or regulations of letting ships going through this area regarding of time? This happened just before 1:30 in the morning.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live/baltimore-key-bridge-collapse-live-updates-after-container-ship-collision-114855033.html

34 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

This happened just before 1:30 in the morning.

I thought the same thing, poor lighting or distracted helmsman !   👨🏼‍✈️    😴

Power loss is the early speculation. Video shows it losing it twice. Ship went past the bridge and then it looks like it backed into it. Ships have local "Pilots" wen they enter ports in the US. So they are very experianced inmoving in the area. This on actually had 2 on board.

I often watch the ships that travel along the Columbia River. In a ship group we were talking about ships running aground and hitting bridges or other ships. The last occurrences of this happening loss of power was involved. The Columbia River has an incredible current and with no power these ships can go off of course. Here is an example of how close these ships come to the bridge pillars where we live. Look how close the two ships are. The river  needs to dredged constantly to help ships from running aground. 

DSC_0765 PAC AGENA GRAND PACE under lcb.jpg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

Here is a similar ship that recently passed by on the Columbia River, there's multiple bridges that these ships have to go under. The first bridge in Astoria, the Astoria-Megler bridge is one of the most dangerous areas before the bridge was even built.  The last photo is the Astoria-Megler bridge from the Astoria Column viewpoint area. This is where the Columbia River meets the Pacific Ocean. Since 1792, approximately 2,000 ships have sunk in this area, earning it the nickname “Graveyard of the Pacific.”

IMG_2786 wide view lcb SM KWANGYANG.jpg

IMG_2769 side view SM KWANGYANG.jpg

DSC_0310 wide view of AMB from Column essent.jpg

Very interesting breakdown of what happened to the DALIS. Sal Mercogliano, the host, has degrees in Military and Naval History, Maritime History and Nautical Archaeology, and Marine Transportation. He is a former merchant mariner, and teaches courses in maritime history, security and industry policy. 

Reading this Bloomberg report, the ship made a mayday call prior to hitting the bridge and authorities were able to stop cars from going onto the bridge therefore saving lives. Watching the video above, you can see the reduction of vehicles passing through overtime.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/ship-s-mayday-call-before-baltimore-bridge-crash-saved-lives-1.2051838#:~:text=(Bloomberg) -- A mayday warning,Maryland Governor Wes Moore said.

Is the collapse of a key bridge a global crises ?

The collapse of a key bridge is a global crisis," Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said during Wednesday afternoon's press conference. "The national economy and the world's economy depend on the port of Baltimore. The port handles more cars and more farm equipment than any other port in the country."

The state of Maryland says the port moved 847,158 automobiles last year. About 70% of the wheeled cargo was imported. The port also handles a large amount of wood, steel, aluminum, home appliances, furniture, sugar and liquefied natural gas. About 20% of U.S. coal exports pass through Baltimore, second only to the port in Norfolk, Virginia.

I would think it just takes how fast they can remove the bridge debris and get product moving again before it affects prices, then how slow product will move once the bridge rebuilding begins, also the longer routes trucks have to take to bring product in / out of the area. Just another " Global Crisis " in this system !  🤑💰

• 2 weeks later...