JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Can You See Yourself...The Way Jehovah Does?

Thank you.  I share your feelings to some extent.  I have actually thought that I could sit down and start making a list of all my mistakes and not overlook a single one.

Why are we so hard on ourselves?  Is it pride?  Do we see our mistakes as a betrayal of our imperfect nature?   As Paul said "When I wish to do what is right, what is bad is present with me. I really delight in the law of God according to the man I am within, but I see in my body another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin's law that is in my body (especially the heart).  Miserable man that I am!  So, then, with my mind I myself am a slave to God's law, but with my flesh to sin's law."

How does Jehovah see us?   I have given that question a lot of thought as well.  

When a dog has a litter of puppies, there's probably a runt.  One inferior in some way.  But doesn't our heart go out to that one especially?  Poor baby!  When people come to select a puppy, sometimes it will be the runt that's picked.  Why?   Because we know it has a disadvantage and we have sympathy for it.  We wish all the puppies a healthy and happy life, but we make it our business to make sure that runt is cared for.

Isn't that how Jehovah sees us?  We are born with a horrible burden to bare, imperfection and under sin's law.  But Jehovah makes it his business to make sure we are cared for.  The ransom is a good reminder.  Why would Jehovah allow his precious Son to go through that, and Himself to go through that, if he didn't love us very much?

The ransom should convince us that God sees us, knows us, understands our inherent weaknesses and treacherous hearts, and makes it his business to help us overcome those disadvantages.

Thanks Tim  :givehug:

7 minutes ago, Doug said:

Thank you.  I share your feelings to some extent.  I have actually thought that I could sit down and start making a list of all my mistakes and not overlook a single one.

I have actually done this...as pathetic and self-destructive as that sounds. 

While in prison, I dealt with people who had done things so horrible, so disgusting and so...gut wrenching...that I actually began to compare myself to them.

The truth is, Jehovah can forgive every single sin...except one. And as Him and his Son are the only two that can judge that particular sin...I have no business thinking I am somehow "better off" than the next person.

12 minutes ago, Doug said:

When a dog has a litter of puppies, there's probably a runt.  One inferior in some way.  But doesn't our heart go out to that one especially?  Poor baby!  When people come to select a puppy, sometimes it will be the runt that's picked.  Why?   Because we know it has a disadvantage and we have sympathy for it.  We wish all the puppies a healthy and happy life, but we make it our business to make sure that runt is cared for.

I like this illustration and have earmarked it for future reference...it's very true.

13 minutes ago, Doug said:

The ransom should convince us that God sees us, knows us, understands our inherent weaknesses and treacherous hearts, and makes it his business to help us overcome those disadvantages.

Exactly!! And that is what prompted me to write this...just in case even one single person can benefit from the reminder of how Jehovah views us...I wanted to sit down and put it into words.

The fact that Jehovah can walk with me...and make my past blood red sins turn into the color of pure white snow... (Isaiah 1:18) ...that is an extremely humbling thought.

I am so grateful to Jehovah that he found even the tiniest grain of decency in me and allowed me to come into his pure and holy organization...it makes me appreciate our meetings, our organization and our brothers and sisters that much more! Thank you for commenting!

22 hours ago, Timl1980 said:

I am so grateful to Jehovah that he found even the tiniest grain of decency in me and allowed me to come into his pure and holy organization...it makes me appreciate our meetings, our organization and our brothers and sisters that much more!

Tim, you give us something to contemplate here, and your honesty is praiseworthy. I find keeping the bible references to Manasseh a great help as well. Not just past mistakes, but also shortcomings along life's road on a daily basis. Jehovah's undeserved kindness is beyond understanding, as is his unfailing loyal love.

Thanks for putting this up Tim.

Lately I have struggled with this. 

No matter what scriptural knowledge I may possess, no matter how many times I try to convince myself of Jehovah's love and forgiveness...his kindness...his gentleness...inevitably I end up sinking into the vast depths of my stupidity...my own ineptness.

My thoughts flit between in-depth plans of my first day in paradise...to how am I going to make my next paycheck stretch to fill all the gaps in our day-to-day life...and everything in between.

Some days I am lost...other days Jehovah finds me and gives me a small boost. Some days I feel like a paragon of spirituality...then other days my pathetic self emerges...and I crash into a heap of tears and prayers. Other brothers and sisters seem so calm and steady...and yet I wonder what hidden issues plague them...what self-doubts and fears inflict them on a day-to-day basis.

I was in the midst of one of these bad days when I decided to do the one thing my mind was screaming at my TO do...and the one thing that was causing my treacherous heart to cross its arms in haughty disregard...I reached out to a brother.

We talked for close to an hour...and he shared two scriptures and a few thoughts that rescued me from the depths of my self-induced despair...and it has caused me to examine myself in the light of the single question this brother raised...

Can you see yourself...the way Jehovah does?

Please join me in turning to Psalms 139...and we'll let the familiar words of David flow through our tired minds:

"O Jehovah, you have searched through me, and you know me.2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up. You discern my thoughts from afar.3 You observe me when I travel and when I lie down; You are familiar with all my ways.4 There is not a word on my tongue, But look! O Jehovah, you already know it well."

He started out by reminding me that this is David speaking AFTER his sins with Bathsheba...and then he asked me to take a closer look at verse 3...and in particular to look at the footnote for the word..."observe".

Literally, it means to measure...and in our research guide...it points out that this word can mean to "sift", or "winnow". 

So... he explained...each day Jehovah "sifts"...or "winnows"... through everything we say and do...everything we are...and he keeps the good...and discards the bad.

Ok, we already know this...right? No big revelation there.

But as a 1995 Watchtower puts it: "The self-condemning heart may sift our doings in the opposite way, berating us mercilessly for past errors and dismissing our accomplishments as nothing. But Jehovah forgives our sins if we sincerely repent and strive hard not to repeat our mistakes."

Why? 

Why, my dear brothers and sisters...do we insist on doing the exact opposite of what Jehovah does? Why do we berate ourselves...MERCILESSLY? Why do we dismiss any good that we accomplish? 

Because we're imperfect...and thus we need these reminders...and we need Jehovah and Jesus...and we need each other.

This dear brother assured me that Jehovah has indeed forgiven me for my past...and he took me to another set of scriptures to prove just how deeply Jehovah has forgiven me...and he showed me the need for me to move on from them as well... (to the best of my ability).

He took me to Micah 7:18,19:

"Who is a God like you, Pardoning error and passing over the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? He will not hold onto his anger forever, For he delights in loyal love.19 He will again show us mercy; he will conquer our errors. You will throw all their sins into the depths of the sea."

He asked me to put myself in the sandals of the ancient Israelites hearing these words...how would they have felt to hear Jehovah assure them that he would throw their sins in to the depths of the sea? Could anyone have gone down there and retrieved them at that time in history? No, simply put...it was beyond their reach.

And then...after I stopped and looked more in depth at these verses myself...I noticed how Jehovah had reminded them of their exodus from the land of Egypt in verse 15...and another aspect of those words sunk in...and suddenly it snapped into place in my head...I got what Jehovah was trying to say.

Friends...figuratively speaking...Jehovah doesn't just sink our past sins into the depths of the sea...he opens the sea up...just as he did with the Israelites...and he drowns them just as he did with the Egyptians...putting them to death... (so to speak) ...making sure they never arise again.

If the creator of the Universe goes through all of that...just to make certain I fully understand that I am truly forgiven...then why can't I make more of an effort to just see myself...the way Jehovah does?

Dear brother,

You really gave me some food for thought and I really thank you for that.
Your post is a beautiful one, very encouraging and thoughtful. So, thank you.

I can really relate to the struggles you described in your post. For me, it sometimes feels like whatever I try to do in my service for Jehovah, I'm always 0-2 behind. This way of thinking is hard to deal with, and it undermines the strong relationship Jehovah wants to have with us.

I have to say that a certain scripture really helped me. Maybe I may share it here.

It is in Isaiah 55.

It is a chapter we use a lot in the ministry to prove that what Jehovah says is true and is always accomplished. Whatever humans may do, Jehovah's will will be accomplished.

So, turn your attention to verses 6 and 7.

"Search for Jehovah while he may be found. Call to him while he is near. Let the wicked man leave his way And the evil man his thoughts; Let him return to Jehovah, who will have mercy on him, To our God, for he will forgive in a large way."

These words are so beautiful for a heart that is hurt by past mistakes. It is soothing. But a heart that is hurt might say easily:

"Yes, I know this is true. But in my situation, with all the details I vividly remember..... I don't know if I can believe Jehovah will see me like this."

When we read verse 8, we will recognize it from use in the ministry. But I hope you can see the connection between verses 7 and 8. Jehovah says:

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, And your ways are not my ways,” declares Jehovah. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So my ways are higher than your ways And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Do you see the word that connects 7 and 8? The word "for"?
It is Jehovah who is giving us reasons why you really have to believe what He just said about returning and that He will forgive!! [/i]. He urges us to accept that His ways are better than a sinful path and that His forgiveness will be there!

It is like Jehovah saying to us:
"My friend, I will forgive you. So, please, even though your thoughts say something else, my thoughts are greater than yours. My ways of handling the situation are better than you can understand. You see the rain? It will not go back until it does what I wanted it to do. In the same way are my words of forgiveness for you in verse 7! It will not return to me until it did with you as I please.
Please accept that fact."

This was a turning point for me in how I see myself. It really helps me to understand that Jehovah is greater than I am, even when my thoughts are about myself and my past.

He have to do our best to see ourselves as Jehovah sees us, because His thoughts are greater than ours

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-S911B met Tapatalk