JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Monday, April 29 You accepted it not as the word of men but, just as it truthfully is, as the word of God.​—1 Thess. 2:13.

Monday, April 29

You accepted it not as the word of men but, just as it truthfully is, as the word of God.—1 Thess. 2:13.

Jehovah’s gift, the Bible, is filled with his wisdom. The Bible’s counsel has a positive effect on people. The Bible changes lives. When the first books of the Bible were composed, Moses told God’s people, the Israelites: “This is no empty word for you, but it means your life.” (Deut. 32:47) Those who obeyed the Scriptures could enjoy a successful and happy life. (Ps. 1:2, 3) Time has not drained God’s Word of its power to improve people’s lives. The wise principles found in the Bible are everlasting; they have proved to be beneficial to people living in every time period. As we read that sacred book and meditate on what we learn, the Author uses his powerful holy spirit to help us see how we can apply the Bible’s counsel in our life. (Ps. 119:27; Mal. 3:16; Heb. 4:12) Yes, the Bible’s living Author is eager to help you. What an incentive to read the Bible regularly! w23.02 3 ¶5-6

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Palms 119:27

I am trying to understand this scripture mentioned in today's text.

Make me understand the meaning of your orders, So that I may ponder over your wonderful works

How understanding Jehovah's orders is connected to pondering jahs wonderful works ?

5 hours ago, dilip kumar said:

Make me understand the meaning of your orders, So that I may ponder over your wonderful works

How understanding Jehovah's orders is connected to pondering jahs wonderful works ?

I think its saying that Jehovah's orders are one of his wonderful works. Like how His commandments are a safeguard. At least thats how I see it.

9 hours ago, dilip kumar said:

An alternative rendering of the scripture is in the Byington Bible that is available on JW Library:

27. Give me insight into the course your mandates prescribe; that I may study your mysteries.

A good help to understanding this is in the February 2023 Watchtower:

*** w23 February p. 3 par. 6 What the Bible Reveals About Its Author ***
No other book is like God’s Word. Why is that so? Because the Author of that book, Jehovah God, is almighty, is eternal, and has unparalleled wisdom. Many other books outlast their authors, but the advice those books contain does not always stand the test of time. On the other hand, the wise principles found in the Bible are everlasting; they have proved to be beneficial to people living in every time period. As we read that sacred book and meditate on what we learn, the Author uses his powerful holy spirit to help us see how we can apply the Bible’s counsel in our life. (Ps. 119:27; Mal. 3:16; Heb. 4:12) Yes, the Bible’s living Author is eager to help you. What an incentive to read the Bible regularly!

In simpler terms, we can understand this scripture to mean that the Psalmist is asking Jehovah to help him understand Jehovah's way of thinking, so that he is more motivated to ponder over Jehovah's creation. It can be worded as, "Make me understand the meaning of your orders, so that I am motivated to ponder over your wonderful works."

This relates to our attitude towards research and personal study. Some brothers and sisters shy away from personal study because they feel that the material is too difficult and the topic is too esoteric to be understood, and when they start to study meatier topics, they may feel disheartened because they have difficulty understanding the teaching. 

It is much easier to study material if we can understand what we are studying and see the practical value of the material in our day-to-day life. That is why this prayer is relevant - It is asking Jehovah to help us to understand His ways and His teachings, so that we are more motivated to continue studying.