JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Posted (edited)

use google to find the answer.

Off the top of my head, saltish water makes objects on water, more buoyant. Salt has antibacterial properties. So a boost to one's health.

Spoiler

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/other/health-benefits-of-sea-salt.html

Nutritional Value of Sea Salt

Sea salt potentially derives 82 essential trace nutrients from the mineral treasure trove present in seawater, according to the Journal of Aquaculture and Aquatic Sciences. These natural minerals are valuable for the healthy functioning of the body. The nutritional wealth of sea salt may include vital minerals like sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, bromide, chloride, iron, copper, and zinc, among other beneficial elements

Edited by daydream

Posted (edited)

When our Grand Creator designs and creates something, in his great wisdom He always has more than 1 reason behind why He chose to design it. So for example, some people may not understand why there is salt in the oceans? In fact some might say, “Hey if there were no salt in the oceans look how much drinking water there would be?” But who is wiser, us imperfect, slow thinking humans or Jehovah? There is not even a close comparison, so notice here just a few of the reasons why Jehovah wisely designed the oceans to have a high “salinity”.

“Ocean Circulation”
I will try to add to Brother Carl’s post as he already touched on this very positive benefit.

So how do the all the oceans have such a balanced distribution of nutrients, heat and oxygen?

Our first thought might be, “Ocean currents” and that is pretty much correct, but how are ocean currents created? 

I think of ocean currents like "ocean conveyor belts" and these currents or “belts” are driven by differences in water density caused by changes in temperature and salinity. For example, saltier water is denser than fresher water, so the cooling of warm surface waters and the formation of sea ice increases the salinity and density of the surrounding water, causing it to sink. And therefore, this sinking of salty water drives deep ocean currents that move across the globe, while being replaced by warm surface currents, creating a continuous circulation pattern. So the oceans are like a huge factory that have inside them many “conveyor belts” that run in a pattern and distribute everything where it needs to go. Without salt, there are no ocean conveyor belts! And this would result in a very UNbalanced distribution of nutrients, heat and oxygen hurting all life in the ocean!

“Osmotic Balance”
 Salt plays a big role in maintaining the osmotic balance and regulating the water content inside marine life, enabling them to survive and even thrive in the ocean! Having the proper water and salt balance within the bodies of marine life is essential for their survival! So a high salt concentration in seawater prevents excessive water loss from their cells and tissues. So thanks to Jehovah designing oceans with such high amounts of salt, it is like the high salt levels in the ocean serve as a “shield” on the outside for the cells and tissues of every sea animal and organism!

“Buoyancy”

Sister Ying Ching also mentioned this in her post and she is right, the oceans are so deep that it would be difficult for many of the marine life to get to the surface if not for “buoyancy”(the ability of something to float in a fluid, like water). So guess why so much of life and organisms in the ocean can reach the surface? 

Because high amounts of salts in seawater increase its density, providing buoyancy that supports  the floating and movement of marine life. So here is a wonderful benefit of ocean’s salt and buoyancy:  Every single life in the ocean that needs to move to survive and needs to reach the surface does not have to spend much as much energy! If you have swam in the ocean before, you know how tiring it can be just to swim for a little while, so imagine if Jehovah did not give marine life this major “boost” in the ocean to help them? 

“Helping Outside of the Ocean”
Here is more evidence of great wisdom by our Father, the ocean's salt plays an important role in the regulation of the Earth's climate by influencing the absorption and release of heat! Plus, the ocean’s salt assists in the formation of clouds and precipitation patterns! So what wisdom! The salt inside the oceans provide help outside of the ocean, ingenious! ️ 

HUMANS

Since humans live outside of the ocean, why would Jehovah design the oceans to help us?

Well because Jehovah knows our hearts, He knows that we would be inticed and drawn to the ocean for many reasons. So Jehovah made the oceans, to not only benefit marine life, but to benefit us too! Here are a few benefits:

• Trace Minerals:  Adding to Sister Ying Chang’s good post, because of salt, seawater contains various trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, and iron, which are essential for marine life and can be beneficial for human health! But wouldn’t we have to drink the saltwater to benefit from all these healthy minerals and elements? No, minerals/elements are “bioavailable”, meaning they can be absorbed thru the skin and utilized by any organism in the ocean, including us humans when we are playing the ocean water! The various biochemical processes and functions inside all marine life, organisms and us NEED these trace minerals, and salt helps to provide these.  Such wisdom and love behind the craftsmanship of the oceans wouldn’t you agree? 
  • Therapy Sessions:  Every time you have ever swam or played in the ocean waters, you have went to 1 of “Jehovah’s Therapy Sessions”! Meaning that the oceans offer “Therapeutic Benefits” and SALT plays a vital role. Salt water has been used for therapeutic purposes, such as alleviating respiratory issues, improving skin conditions, and promoting relaxation and even stress relief! So what do you think happens when you are surrounded by salt water when playing/swimming in the ocean? You are getting a full therapy session thanks our Grand Creator who knew we would be drawn to the oceans! 
  • “Grounded”:  Have you ever been “grounded”?  No, not when your parents disciplined you and grounded you to your room. But there is a “grounding” when it comes to the ocean/beach. Ocean water is highly conductive due to the dissolved salts and minerals it contains, so when we are walking barefoot on wet sand or in shallow ocean water, this allows our body to absorb negative electrons from the Earth, a process known as grounding. Meaning that when positive electrons in the form of free radicals have been building up in our bodies, but then when we come into direct contact with the sand and salt water at the beach, which have negative charges, our bodies are “balanced out”!  This is why you and me feel more energized and relaxed anytime we go visit the beach. Just another reason why so many of us just love the beach and ocean and could stay there for days or weeks! 

There are even more benefits to the salt in the oceans, but then my post would be longer than the book of Genesis. 😃 

So I hope this post has given Jehovah further honor and glory that He so rightly deserves for His masterpiece of the ocean.  The bad part about making this post however is that I feel sad that I cannot just go to the ocean right now! I need to check for some cheap flights ✈️ 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

This was discussed at our Midweek Meeting last March

Watch the video, from the 2 minute mark :)

The video above is actually from the Friday Afternoon Session of the 2021 Convention when Brother Patrick LaFranca gave the symposium part: Use Creation to Build Your Faith — Oceans

You can watch the full symposium talk here:

16 hours ago, Arumuga Raja said:

Are there any good reasons why God made the sea water salty?

In a Nutshell

1. Climate Regulation: The saltiness of the oceans helps regulate Earth's climate by influencing ocean currents. These currents distribute heat around the planet, maintaining a stable climate that makes Earth habitable.

2. Marine Life Survival: Many sea creatures rely on the salt in the water to maintain the right balance of water in their bodies. This process, called osmoregulation, is vital for their survival.

3. Nutrient Cycling: Salinity affects how nutrients and gases like oxygen and carbon dioxide dissolve in the water. This process is crucial for the life cycles of marine organisms, especially plankton, which form the base of the ocean food chain.

4. Water Density and Circulation: Salt increases the density of seawater compared to freshwater. This difference in density drives the global ocean circulation system, also known as the "global conveyor belt," which plays a key role in distributing heat and nutrients around the planet.

In summary, the saltiness of the oceans is essential for regulating the climate, supporting marine life, facilitating nutrient cycling,

and driving ocean circulation. :coffee:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

3 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

• “Grounded”:  Have you ever been “grounded”?  No, not when your parents disciplined you and grounded you to your room. But there is a “grounding” when it comes to the ocean/beach. Ocean water is highly conductive due to the dissolved salts and minerals it contains, so when we are walking barefoot on wet sand or in shallow ocean water, this allows our body to absorb negative electrons from the Earth, a process known as grounding. Meaning that when positive electrons in the form of free radicals have been building up in our bodies, but then when we come into direct contact with the sand and salt water at the beach, which have negative charges, our bodies are “balanced out”!  This is why you and me feel more energized and relaxed anytime we go visit the beach. Just another reason why so many of us just love the beach and ocean and could stay there for days or weeks! 

There are even more benefits to the salt in the oceans, but then my post would be longer than the book of Genesis. 😃 

So I hope this post has given Jehovah further honor and glory that He so rightly deserves for His masterpiece of the ocean.  The bad part about making this post however is that I feel sad that I cannot just go to the ocean right now! I need to check for some cheap flights ✈️ 

And just like that - Bro Trotter is thinking - "It is time to get grounded! and take a trip to the ocena!!!"  :thumbsup:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....