JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Newspaper clipping - Jehovah's Witnesses do better after surgery without transfusions!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4307 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

My daughter had to have a massive cranio-facial reconstruction back in 2000. She was not baptized but demanded the surgeon use no blood. It was not even a battle . . he said he would prefer to do so but he was confident to go ahead. She had wedges put into her lower jaw . . top teeth bone cut free and reconstructed and cheek bones moved.

I walked her to the OR and the surgeon came out dressed like Michelin Man. Woolly everything.. Jumpers in layers. thick trousers and huge woolly boots. She had her surgery in an almost standing position in a room that was like a freezer. Her feet and legs were iced and after 7 hours she emerged looking like a car crash victim.

Doctors told the family to expect a 10-12 day stay in hospital until she could slurp down mushed food safely.

She recovered so fast she came home after 4 days. !! . .no infection or complications. Her blood count was low but I told the doctor I would not let her play basketball again until she was better . .they laughed . . but it worked. They have a new view of bloodless surgery here now. She is not in the Truth at this time but she says that when she is ready . .her conscience is clear on the blood issue.

The state of Western Australia has implimented Patient Blood Management for the whole state. They started 4 years ago in 2008 and everything is in place now-except they have to complete their education program to doctors, staff and legal system - which they hope to complete next year 2013

Interestingly they use posters from NSW Dept of Health showing 5 Blood Myths. Look them up or I can post them in a seperate thread later on.

In Jan. 2010 the World Health Organization ( WHO ) made it a requirement of member nations to impliment PBM in their countries-status to be forwarded to executive counsel every 4 years. Canada is starting with more stingent blood conservation practices just this spring -on a province by province basis since each province looks after its own health care. British Colombia has a web site up to train BC doctors and health care workers.

Canada uses a lot less blood per capita than the US - however formal PBM programs are way behind the US which has over 200.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: