JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Post office boxes ....

Is it me or does it seem like they are disappearing ( maybe it is just in Chicago ) ?

You can't seem to find them around anymore ..weird

How about in your area ? or are they disapearing there as well ?

for those not in America ... they would be the boxes that you put your letters in so that the post office can pick them up to mail them to your recipient.

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

A sign of the times. People now use more email in place of letter writing. Don't underestimate FB & Twitter either. Boxes are more often withing shopping mall areas now as servicing them is time consuming. The postal business has been hit hard by the digital revolution and a huge increase in packages of goods bought on-line means the courier business is growing more now. This has been going on here in Australia for years.

Is it me or does it seem like they are disappearing ( maybe it is just in Chicago ) ?

for those not in America ... they would be the boxes that you put your letters in so that the post office can pick them up to mail them to your recipient.

You are correct. I don't even see them anymore, and I am in the Ft. Worth Texas area. Only place I see them are outside the actual post office building.

There really is no need for them for most people. Just put your mail in your own mailbox and lift the little flag on the side. Easier and cheaper then driving to a post office box.

You are correct. I don't even see them anymore, and I am in the Ft. Worth Texas area. Only place I see them are outside the actual post office building.

There really is no need for them for most people. Just put your mail in your own mailbox and lift the little flag on the side. Easier and cheaper then driving to a post office box.

Except up in Chicago the main post office ( downtown ) they don't even have them outside the building anymore ... I noticed it really when we had the Nato Summit ..( they weren't there brfore then .. but I really noticed them at that time since I had some letters to mail ) but then we haven't gotten them back...

Well here we don't really have the mail boxes outside of our homes since alot of us live in apt. buildings.... the mailboxes are in the main lobbies here.

Also wouldn't that be kind of dangerous to put your mail in the mailbox and put up the flag ...as that could let the not so honset people to know you may have something there that they could steal ... like your identity :eek:

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

Maybe they took them down for the NATO Summit so no one would drop a bomb in one.

I have always put my mail in my mail box with the flag up. I don't send money in my letters or anything so if they steal it, they are not gonna get anything interesting, lol.

Identify theft people are doing more damage getting info on the internet and going through your garbage. That is why I shred anything important! We invested in a nice shredder a few years back, it has been great.

How about in your area ? or are they disappearing there as well ?

The Postal service in the US is downsizing in many areas. Many rural area have to go to the post office to pick up their mail. The town of Orofino, Idaho is divided by a river, the people on one side of town must go to the post office for their mail while the other side has mail delivered. Not only are the Mail Boxes that once decorated many sidewalks disappearing, so are many small town post offices. The mail sorting is also changing. For example, if we mail a payment for a city water & sewer bill, it goes 60 miles to Portland, Or, sorted, and then back to our town even though we have a post office in town. The trucks go back and forth between cities whether their is mail or not so time is the only looser.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25