JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Preaching in Greece?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4197 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=8731

With the current economic challenges, are the Greek people, scapegoating or softening to the Kingdom message. I know there is a history of persecution. I am just wondering how our brothers are faring. They're in my prayers.

:squeeze:

With the current economic challenges, are the Greek people, scapegoating or softening to the Kingdom message. I know there is a history of persecution. I am just wondering how our brothers are faring. They're in my prayers.

Do we ever "scapegoat or soften" the kingdom message?

I mean, I understand that we have to be tactful and if under ban or threat of persecution then cautious as well.... what is our status in Greece? I know we produce Greek literature so I believe we legal as can be.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Well,

people are almost non responsive as before, now they definitely don't have time for the good news.

real increase in Greece comes from the foreign sector.

People are more aware of whats going on, but they are preoccupied with surviving.

as far as the brothers, its very tough. specially in the big cities Athens and Thessaloniki etc

they are struggling to make end meet.

many brothers leave Greece to seek employment abroad. roughly 60 brothers per month.

to be honest, i`m also looking to move out to work abroad.

we have legal status here

Thank you so much for sharing. I too have been suffering financial hardship, off and on, since 2002. I just became unemployed, again. It can be extremely discouraging. One of the things that helps me keep proper perspective is remembering that my brothers and sisters in other areas are enduring much more severe hardship than I am. Despite the hardship, you are remaining faithful to Jehovah. It's just as the scriptures say, our "entire association of brothers in the world" are experiencing "critical times hard to deal with". When I feel like giving up, I think about the endurance of others, like you brothers in places such as Greece. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Agape

Although Aris said it all. I would say and my experience.

The crisis has brought and good results. There is a very large increase in the regular pioneers. For example in my congregation before the crisis it was 11 now we have 14 and two new pioneers would start 09/01 This week in Thessaloniki 180 bro/sis studying in school for Pioneers. Some information from the last page of KM March 3432 regular pioneers, 9001 aux. pioneers, 14290 Bible study. 49308 at memorial April 3453 regular pioneers 29013 publishers spent 547731 hours preaching and teaching May 3457 regular pioneers.

In the DC last summer had the privilege to help a group of 150 Gypsy (rom) be accommodated. (I serve on Rooming Department) Of these, only 15 people are baptized brothers. In the area who reside around 300 people regularly monitor our meetings. Next month in Thessaloniki, a new Kingdom Hall complex begin to constructing, that will host six Greek, two Russian and two Albanian congregations.

Also many inactive come back.

Yes, we are in the midst of crisis. But David wrote (Psalm 37:25) A young man I used to be, I have also grown old, And yet I have not seen anyone righteous left entirely, Nor his offspring looking for bread.

Yes, many thinking to leave Greece. In my cong 16 bro/sis fled to Germany, Sweden and Cyprus. Some others are looking to go to Australia or elsewhere. Until that happens, as says Joel (Joel 2:7, 8)  “Like powerful men they run. Like men of war they go up a wall. And they go each one in his own ways, and they do not alter their paths.  And one another they do not shove. As an able-bodied man in his course, they keep going; and should some fall even among the missiles, the [others] do not break off course.

Yes, we have problems, but we remain happy because "... Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!" (Psalm 144:15)

As we say in Greece "with sun or with rain ... " Jehovah's people will never stop preaching, to congregate, and encourage one another.

A big thanks about all of you, dear brothers who referred us to your prayers.

There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing. Because, pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.(Proverbs 12:18,16:24)

Yes, many thinking to leave Greece. In my cong 16 bro/sis fled to Germany, Sweden and Cyprus. Some others are looking to go to Australia or elsewhere.

:shrugs:

To run out of crisis you have to run out of the Earth.

There is no place to hide of GLOBAL crisis except Jehovah's name...

"Absolute rubbish”

You're right.

But how you can stop which are unemployed for two years and must pay higher tax and have to pay higher daily costs as is electricity, gasoline. And every day are see the price of food to rise.

The last couple (with 2 children) left early August. The brother had his own business. Before the crisis was a healthy company with 14 employees. Now left with a debt of 200.000 €.

As you comes from the former Soviet Union you know well what it means economic crisis. How many millions of Russians, Ukrainians, and others left for the whole world?

There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing. Because, pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.(Proverbs 12:18,16:24)

Oh, those Russians! They are everywhere! LOL But seriously you are right it looks like Russia is in permanent crisis since 1914 and Russian diaspora is widespread. Seems like some of them successfully escaped crisis, but anyway now crisis caught them. Satan wants us constantly running for the carrot.

124110=6881-carrot.jpg

"Absolute rubbish”

• 1 month later...

i lived in Greece for 7 months 10 years ago at that time our work was free,and we could do street witnessing,even though at one time a so called police man who was in

private clothing told me i was not allowed to preach there he showed me secretly his badge,i told him to go to the brother who was about 20 yards away from me, we reported him

and he got repremanded,so I do not think this has changed,but i do suspect that our brothers and sisters may be hit by hardships as honestly all of us are in europe

becouse of financial crisis.but i know Bethel there had been sold in 1997 i had the oppertunity to go right before it closed and was sold .

all we can do is pray for our brothers and sisters becouse i know they wont have it easy May Jehovah bless you all your sister anita in Holland

yeia su aderfos

mbravo

it is wonderfull to hear that our brothers and sisters are inventive enough to find the oppertunity to show that there is a much moore secure government ahead,

in 1996-1997 i was in Kaminia congregation in Pireaus even then I loved the streetwork and go to the harbpors and talk to people of all different countries

i am glad our brs and strs finding possibillities to increase their preaching I was at Malakassa when the full new worldtranslation came out in Greek,

May Jehovah bless the work in greece and everywhere where there are hardships

Doxa ton IEXOBA. pou mas kanei enosi pantou ston kosmos me mia uperixo aderfotita

mia aderfi stin hollandia

Zdrazboui Svetlana

I am anita from holland ,i see you can still see the humor,i know that many of our brs and strs are having hardships and i love your print

but you are so right Jehovah keeps us upright and our heads up and we have been warned for these times,Jezus said whenever we see these things not to be affraid but lift our heads becouse our deliverance is near.

and finnaly Jehovah can take revenge for all the iniquities He has suffered the lies he has endured the false accusations wonderfull we will be all so very happy satan bound and finnally FREE no moore governments to oppress us or Illnesses that pester our bodies May all our prayers be for all those brs and strs who suffer oppression of some kind all over the world and may Jehovah give all of us the strength to pass through harmageddon into th new world

with sisterly love

anita [from Holland]

dos svedania

Thank you so much for keeping this thread going. I don't get out here as much as I would like, however, when I do come out here and see your responses, I am always encouraged.

Our congregation (ASL/deaf) is having our two day this weekend. Unfortunately, my family will not be able to attend since I have not been working since late July/early August. Hopefully, we'll be able to attend in English in February 2013.

On an up-note, I have a temporary job (through the holidays) that starts Monday.

Dear brothers and sisters in Europe, thank you so much for your encouraging comments. Your endurance is keeping me going here in the US, as well as all our brothers and sisters who visit this site.

Love you all! :grouphug:

dear melinda

you know honey it is not the how much we do for Jehovah dear

Jehovah looks at the love we have,He knows oyr capabillities,maybe 30 minutes is for you a whole onth and jehovah is very happy if he sees,we do what we can

I myself am incapacitated,and give what i have i witness most of the time incidental,with family and friends and when I am in the hospital and if i an feeling better i go out in the field which streetwork

is one of my favorites.so dear sister whatever you have to give ,give it with joy,even if it is just a few minutes Becouse then You have given Jehovah the chance to reply to satan "you see even when they have problems ,they still give voluntairely'and we make Jehovah soo very happy,and it makes us feel good.

Dear be satisfied with what you can give,dont look to others what they give ,no one is alike,and dont push yourself to do moore than you can,Jehovah does not ask this he says give me what you have

Jehovah bless you and keep it up

with sisterly love

your sister Anita

Holland>:D<

Yes, many thinking to leave Greece. In my cong 16 bro/sis fled to Germany, Sweden and Cyprus. Some others are looking to go to Australia or elsewhere.

:shrugs:

To run out of crisis you have to run out of the Earth.

There is no place to hide of GLOBAL crisis except Jehovah's name...

I agree Svetlana. Many immigrants moved to UK only to find austerity is biting here and lots of people are chasing very few jobs left. At the moment we have had so much flooding in the wettest summer since 1830, that our harvests have failed and produce in the shops has doubled in price.

Austerity measures mean that most of us, able to work, will not be retiring until near 70 - if at all. Next year all local public facilities will close because the local government has no longer been provided enough funds - public toilets; Civic community centres/theatres, tourist offices museums etc, half the refuse recycling is to cease and we will have to pay extra to have our household refuse taken once a fortnight - this is already causing massive rat problems. Senior citizens will no longer get concessionary travel permits. People have complained and protested about these measures (as well as redundancies and welfare benefit reductions). The reply from authorities has been if you want the facilities, unpaid volunteers will have to run them and businesses will have to sponsor them - but no one can afford to do that.

Most of our town centre/High Street shops have closed, so we have to travel further to get everyday goods and petrol is expensive. We already pay hundreds each year in road tax and they are to introduce more road tolls and higher parking fees on top. We have found our 'Foreign Field' ministry shrinking, especially among the Polish community - most have gone elsewhere or home. Around our town I can count 22 factories; all the mines and metalworks finished and the Nuclear Power Station is decommissioning in the last few years and my sister (not a JW) is being made redundant along with hundreds in the County Police and most emptied town Police Stations have gone to auction - despite the rising crime! So I reckon as you do!

It is unfair to put labels on people.

He is a spiritual person, the other is not.

He is loyal or he is not loyal.

If you stay and suffer, you are show trust in Jehovah, if you leave you do not trust.

Isn't it true that famines in Bible times caused even God's people to relocate on occasion ? I am certain families want to stay where their friends and family are,especially the spiritual family they know and love. But a family head is searching to provide for his family ,so it is on his shoulders to decide best how to do that . And we love and accept these families when they come to our Kingdom Halls .

Although Aris said it all. I would say and my experience.

The crisis has brought and good results. There is a very large increase in the regular pioneers. For example in my congregation before the crisis it was 11 now we have 14 and two new pioneers would start 09/01 This week in Thessaloniki 180 bro/sis studying in school for Pioneers. Some information from the last page of KM March 3432 regular pioneers, 9001 aux. pioneers, 14290 Bible study. 49308 at memorial April 3453 regular pioneers 29013 publishers spent 547731 hours preaching and teaching May 3457 regular pioneers.

In the DC last summer had the privilege to help a group of 150 Gypsy (rom) be accommodated. (I serve on Rooming Department) Of these, only 15 people are baptized brothers. In the area who reside around 300 people regularly monitor our meetings. Next month in Thessaloniki, a new Kingdom Hall complex begin to constructing, that will host six Greek, two Russian and two Albanian congregations.

Also many inactive come back.

Yes, we are in the midst of crisis. But David wrote (Psalm 37:25) A young man I used to be, I have also grown old, And yet I have not seen anyone righteous left entirely, Nor his offspring looking for bread.

Yes, many thinking to leave Greece. In my cong 16 bro/sis fled to Germany, Sweden and Cyprus. Some others are looking to go to Australia or elsewhere. Until that happens, as says Joel (Joel 2:7, 8)  “Like powerful men they run. Like men of war they go up a wall. And they go each one in his own ways, and they do not alter their paths.  And one another they do not shove. As an able-bodied man in his course, they keep going; and should some fall even among the missiles, the [others] do not break off course.

Yes, we have problems, but we remain happy because "... Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!" (Psalm 144:15)

As we say in Greece "with sun or with rain ... " Jehovah's people will never stop preaching, to congregate, and encourage one another.

A big thanks about all of you, dear brothers who referred us to your prayers.

Ω αδελφός Νίκος λόγια σας είναι μια ισχυρή απόδειξη για το Θεό μας και του Αγίου Πνεύματος. Υπάρχει πάρα πολύ θλιβερή είδηση ​​παντού και αυτή η έκθεση έχει λαμπρύνει κουρασμένο μου μέρα. Σας ευχαριστούμε!

Oh Brother Nikos your words are a powerful testament to our God and his Holy Spirit. There is too much sad news everywhere and this report has brighten my weary day. Thank you!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Hi dear friends! It's going on 1am here in North Carolina. Sister Anita, thank you so much for your kind words. Jehovah is such a loving God to provide such an association of brothers. As I mentioned in my previous post, we didn't get to attend our two-day assembly with our congregation (ASL/deaf), but Jehovah did not leave us in the lurch (2 Corinthians 4:10) Our host congregation, before we became an official congregation, had a gathering today. The sisters that hosted the gathering invited us. We had a full share. We were able to help with the preparation and clean up and got to see many of our friends from our original host congregation and the 2nd congregation that hosted us once we began to grow. Such a wonderful day. When we returned home, we were tired but the girls (11 and 12) got their Watchtowers done and are looking forward to visiting the friends again at tomorrow's meeting in English. Jehovah makes sure we get what we need, when we need it.

Monday night is our Congregation Bible Study, TMS and Service meeting, and I'm sure our deaf friends will have many tidbits about this weekend's program.

As an added bonus, a young deaf man that I met back in the early Spring has attended a few meetings. He attempted to attend today (Saturday is our regular meeting for the Public Talk and Watchtower study). He text me when no one was at the Hall. I explained everyone is out of town at the 2-day assembly. He said he'll plan to attend the meeting with us next week.

I also have a telephone study with a woman in Colorado! We submitted her information at jw.org and this week she told me the local congregation has contacted her. I used an online app that allows me to share my screen and we watched the Faith In Action Part 1 DVD. She was very impressed. We didn't get to finish it, so we'll probably complete it on Monday. I'm trying to get her to attend a meeting. We have agreed that the local congregation will take over her study of the Bible Teach book and I will help her to prepare for a meeting, most likely the Watchtower.

So, I'm poverty-stricken materially but incredibly rich spiritually. Jehovah has certainly taught me to be content with these things and I am truly happy! 1 Tim 6:8.

Love you all,

Melinda

BROTHER IS THIS NOT VERY BLACK AND WHITE?

there may be circumstances we should not judge if someone leaves he must have a good reason,and it does not always have to do with lack of faith but also may be common sense

Which Jehovah us fully equipped with,do you live in greece,if not you cant imagine and do not go by hearsay people have been migrating since beginning of times,even Maria and josef had to leave

the egyptians made life hard for the israelites they moved and Jehovah even helped them so Nikos be just glad you do not have to leave

have a very nice day

Doxa Ton Iexoba pou mas krataei me steno enosy,ala min karagorizeis

me adelfiki agapi

H aderfi stin Hollandia

Dear Melinda

you brought tears to my eyes,that is just what I meant Jehovah looks at us not in hours but in our willingness,it is so upbuilding to hear these things

It is no wonder jehovah is the happy God and to hear sucht wonderfull reports makes our hearts happy and filled with joy

Jehovah bless you keep up the good work and keep sharing

with love your sister in holland

Anita:kisscheek:

Zdrazboui Svetlana

I am anita from holland ,i see you can still see the humor,i know that many of our brs and strs are having hardships and i love your print

but you are so right Jehovah keeps us upright and our heads up and we have been warned for these times,Jezus said whenever we see these things not to be affraid but lift our heads becouse our deliverance is near.

Hi, Anita! :wave:

My sense of humor always helped me to survive in the hard circumstances and I hope it will help me in the future.

:flowers::squeeze:

"Absolute rubbish”

If you stay and suffer, you are show trust in Jehovah, if you leave you do not trust.

Hey, Nikos! Where, on earth, did you find those "labels"? :eek:

In what words?

:surrender:

"Absolute rubbish”

In what words?

I am a little and insignificant Greek. I did not understand what you ask.

I made ​​a general comment, perhaps influenced by what I hear about my decision here in Greece.

In what words?

I am a little and insignificant Greek. I did not understand what you ask.

I made ​​a general comment, perhaps influenced by what I hear about my decision here in Greece.

LOL, Nikos, you are surely not insignificant :)

Your general comment sounded like you were offended a little by some comments and took them too personally,

like someone has putted that labels on you. :nope:

As to your plans to move somewhere, I would suggest you (I know, I know, I should not :) ) to move to a country where the need is greater and where the level of life is lower than now in Greece, for instance Dominicans or another country with a tropical climate . That would be nice experience to your family IMHO

"Absolute rubbish”