JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Mount Fuji

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4240 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I've found the following website blog by Eric Klemetti the most reliable concerning vulcanology, the comments from readers, some experts such as Boris Behnke who is a vulcanologist living in the shadow of Mt Etna and others studying the field, are usually as interesting as the article and well worth reading as they are constantly monitoring volcanic and seismic related events worldwide.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/doom-volcano-research-media/#more-128584

from the arictle Doooom! The Perception of Volcano Research by the Media

Fuji, Japan

News like this has the tendency to reappear when you least expect it, like a zombie in a horror movie. Just after the Sendai earthquake in March 2011, I had to try to dispel some rumors that Fuji was going to erupt because it “always” erupts after a very large subduction earthquake in Japan. Guess what? It doesn’t. So, why do we suddenly have all this “news” claiming otherwise?

This is not to say that Fuji isn’t a threat. It is an active volcano that will very likely erupt again. The Japanese government is preparing for such an event and will test an evacuation plan for the area around Fuji in 2014. The volcano felt a series of earthquake swarms over a decade ago, meaning that magma was likely intruding under Fuji. However, little is known about how much magma or whether it is eruptible, so as of right now, there are no signs that an eruption will happen soon at Fuji – next week, next month or even over the next few years.

Edited to add: I love your avatar!!

I've found the following website blog by Eric Klemetti the most reliable concerning vulcanology, the comments from readers, some experts such as Boris Behnke who is a vulcanologist living in the shadow of Mt Etna and others studying the field, are usually as interesting as the article and well worth reading as they are constantly monitoring volcanic and seismic related events worldwide.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/doom-volcano-research-media/#more-128584

from the arictle Doooom! The Perception of Volcano Research by the Media

Fuji, Japan

News like this has the tendency to reappear when you least expect it, like a zombie in a horror movie. Just after the Sendai earthquake in March 2011, I had to try to dispel some rumors that Fuji was going to erupt because it “always” erupts after a very large subduction earthquake in Japan. Guess what? It doesn’t. So, why do we suddenly have all this “news” claiming otherwise?

This is not to say that Fuji isn’t a threat. It is an active volcano that will very likely erupt again. The Japanese government is preparing for such an event and will test an evacuation plan for the area around Fuji in 2014. The volcano felt a series of earthquake swarms over a decade ago, meaning that magma was likely intruding under Fuji. However, little is known about how much magma or whether it is eruptible, so as of right now, there are no signs that an eruption will happen soon at Fuji – next week, next month or even over the next few years.

Edited to add: I love your avatar!!

Thanks (tu)

It's always good to have a different perspective on things.