JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lambv:eat:

Does anyone have a marinade they like to share please. I am looking for a new recipe. Please, I bought a leg yesterday & would like a new Idea thanks.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I like to make my own masala marinade which I use for chicken, but it would work well with lamb.

Ingredients:

· 6 cardamom pods

· 2 tbsp cumin seeds

· 2 tbsp coriander seeds

· 4 whole cloves

· 1 tsp black peppercorns

· 1 tsp ground fenugreek

· 2 tsp ground turmeric

· 1 tbsp paprika

· 1-2 tsp hot chilli powder (the more you use, the spicier the dish)

· ¼ tsp ground cinnamon

· 1 tsp flaked sea salt

· 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed

· 40g/1½oz piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated

Split the cardomom pods and remove the seeds from inside and discard the husks.

In a dry non-stick frying pan, toast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves, black peppercorns and the seeds from inside the cardomom pods.

You will smell the beautiful aroma in a minute or two, and then take it off the heat.

Grind these in a pestle and mortar (or spice grinder).

In a bowl mix the rest of the spices with the freshly ground spices. Add 100g of low-fat natural yogurt and mix to form the marinade. Leave to stand for a short time to meld the flavours.

Coat the lamb with the marinade (really push the marinade onto the meat!) and leave in the fridge (preferably overnight) covered with cling film.

When done, I pat the meat to remove excess spices - but leave some on - squeeze a little lime juice over it and cook in the oven on a rack over a foil-covered baking tray at approx 200deg C (or as you would normally cook it). (Timings depend on size etc.)

Let it rest covered with foil in a warm place and then carve and serve.

I serve it (usually chicken) with a salad, or a bed of watercress and a mint raita (mint sauce in plain yogurt), but you could serve it with rice and a nice daal.

Thanks Chris. If only we could have the aroma come thru the internet.lol. I love masala. Yummo. I used to be able to buy it in our Asian/Indian shops. I will make that paste. Thanks. Gabe

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

:chef:this is Asian gado gado marinade satay sooooo yummy but I don't know if it will go with lamb.

I just love lamb stuffed with lemon. garlic, sprigs of rosemary rubbed over with olive oil and soy. cooked long and slow more of a Jamie Oliver thing

anyway back to the marinade bunch of coriander,//three -six chillies to taste //half a cup of lemon juice maybe more according to taste // 4 garlic cloves// tablespoon of brown sugar //tablespoon of soy.// half a cup of peanuts or you can use peanut butter// quarter of a cup of sesames seed oil //enough water to make a smooth paste //oh any salt to taste// Then blend away.

I always tweak a recipe by taste

mind you I would try Christopher recipe it sounds sooo yummy when I was in Dubai we bought all these spices frankincense ,cardamon , saffron was soooo cheap the fresh spices really make the dish.:chef: