JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Re: Occupation

• 4 weeks later...

When I got out of HS I washed windows in order to pioneer. When that work started to fissile due to college students doing the same work for "Beer Money" (I live in a major college town - or at least near one, Gainesville, Fl ... home of the University of Florida) and I could no longer count on it as a viable income I got hired on at a pizza place. I worked there for many years - some off and on - and was able to continue to pioneer for a bit

Then, due to extenuating circumstances, I had to go off the pioneer list.

I started hanging wallpaper and did this for about 15 years - till the building market changed and the bottom fell out of the wallpaper business. Seems people decided paint was better.

A brother in Jacksonville offered me work cleaning and installing carpet, and I worked for him for about 10 years. I had to drive an hour and a half each way for work, but the work was steady.

The market then shifted in Jax and his business no longer had room for me, though he would have liked to keep me on. I continued to do carpet in my area for another 10 years. I used to clean and install, but the cleaning part gave me sever carpal-tunnel problems and I had to become a full-time installer. That is a bit rough when you get older.

When I could no longer make a full living from carpet, partially due to age/body and partially due to economic conditions in the area, I went to work for another brother in Jacksonville. We joke about me changing work to "get off my knees", since now I do irrigation.

I still spend most of the day on my knees but I no longer have to kick the tools to do the job. On days I work for him I still have to drive for 1-2 hours each way, but other days I work near home doing irrigation at some apartment complexes in Gainesville.

When I first started helping at "Quick Builds", I was in the wallpaper department since I had experience in that work. As things changed in building KH's in our area, wallpaper was no longer being used. By that time, I had already moved into the carpet department. When the "RBC" was formed, I was assigned to carpet and did that for many years. Our area had some new RBC's formed a few years back and I was moved into the "Structured Wiring" department (sound) where I still serve today. In fact, I was just in Williston last weekend and will be there again this weekend for a remodel.

Even tough my work has needed to be flexible and sometimes the money was not the best, we have managed to survive. I have been married for 32 years and raised 4 daughters, all still in the truth. Some types of work may not be "glamorous", but they pay the bills and Jehovah finds a way for us to put these types of skills to use for His glory.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~