JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I am officially an auxillary pioneer NOW!

Even though I started auxillary pioneering in January this year I now feel like I have been properly ignitiated. I received my first (hope it is my last) dog bite while out in service. I have learned several things from this event. First, when you are with your fleshly sister and you are approaching the house via a gated fence and you see a sign that says "Beware of Dog" don't believe her when you call it to her attention and she says--"this is a return visit--I don't ever remember seeing a dog here before. It is probably just an old sign to scare people off." The front door to the house was open but the storm door closed. I tell my sister "I'll just stay here on the side walk because if there is a dog they can be very territorial if you get on the porch because they preceive that as their property." She states "Oh, silly" Two dogs charge out of the house right past her and run out to the fence then circle back to the porch and one grabs me by the calf of my leg and tears a hugh hole in my new $14.00 tights! I have 4 canine marks and a very big bruise now. I don't know how the skin did not break and leave such a bad bruise. I screamed and so did my sister but no one came out of the house to see if we were ok. She NOW listed the call as a closed gate with a biting dog and a letter will be sent.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Leslie!

First, let me say that I am glad you are OK!

Second, I am not a bad person, so why can't I stop laughing?? I think it is the gift you have for telling a story!

It reminded me of that great scene in "The Pink Panther" where Peter Sellers asks the woman with the dog:

"Madam, Does your dog bite?"

Woman: "No"

He approaches the dog and it tears him up!

Sellers: "Madam, I thought you said your dog didn't bite"!

Woman: "That is not my dog"

Now imagine it with his great accent!

Yes, it was a good idea to mark this on the call sheet! :laugh:

Leslie!

First, let me say that I am glad you are OK!

Second, I am not a bad person, so why can't I stop laughing?? I think it is the gift you have for telling a story!

It reminded me of that great scene in "The Pink Panther" where Peter Sellers asks the woman with the dog:

"Madam, Does your dog bite?"

Woman: "No"

He approaches the dog and it tears him up!

Sellers: "Madam, I thought you said your dog didn't bite"!

Woman: "That is not my dog"

Now imagine it with his great accent!

Yes, it was a good idea to mark this on the call sheet! :laugh:

Hit post too soon!

Chuck, thanks for the memory! While I was studying back in Lexington, VA about 1984 one of my closest friends and mentor would greet my with that line..."does your dog bite" and I would respond "its not my dog". All this time I thought we were the only ones sick enough to appreciate that.

Hi Leslie,

I'm so glad you're ok!! Wow--it could've been so MUCH worse. I'm sure the experience was traumatic enough for you, but it scares me to think of what could've happened.

That reminds me of my pioneer days years ago. I used to carry dog biscuits in my publisher bag--just in case I was confronted by a scary dog. Fortunately, I never had occasion to use them in an attempt to thwart the attack of a mean dog. I ended up giving them to friendly dogs, and sometimes I'd get an odd look from the householder. ('She actually carries dog biscuits with her?!?!')

Anyway, I digress. Just glad you're ok.

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

She NOW listed the call as a closed gate with a biting dog and a letter will be sent.

What kind of letter and to whom?

I think she means this address will be added to the list for "letter writing" as are many addresses in gated communities, etc.

Leslie, I'm glad it wasn't any worse but it was bad enough! WATCH THOSE DOGS! I guess we all have many dog stories out in preaching work. My dad had a guy sic his dog on him. Thankfully dad had a big bookbag and held it between him and the dog. Another time a little sneaky dog run up behind Dad and grabbed his pantleg. Dad just raised his leg with some force and the dog flew 10 or 12 ft. in front of him. Good job, Dad. One time I went up on the porch to ring the bell. A dog bounded around the house and baring his teeth and growling a low growl which I interpreted as he meant business. No one was home and he wouldn't let me down the steps. I was a bit worried but I remembered that Dad said a dog can sense your fear and it makes them more aggressive, so I put on my brave face and started down the steps and I guess it bluffed him and he turned and left. WHEW! My husband was working with a Dist. Overseer and came to a house with a fenced yard that had a Beware of Dog sign. About that time a mean dog ran up the fence, and the DO pulled out a "Dog Dazer" and that dog spun around and left with his tail between his legs. They went on in the yard to the door and left a handbill. I'll bet those people wondered how in world somebody got past their mean dog!

Even though I started auxillary pioneering in January this year I now feel like I have been properly ignitiated. I received my first (hope it is my last) dog bite while out in service. I have learned several things from this event. First, when you are with your fleshly sister and you are approaching the house via a gated fence and you see a sign that says "Beware of Dog" don't believe her when you call it to her attention and she says--"this is a return visit--I don't ever remember seeing a dog here before. It is probably just an old sign to scare people off." The front door to the house was open but the storm door closed. I tell my sister "I'll just stay here on the side walk because if there is a dog they can be very territorial if you get on the porch because they preceive that as their property." She states "Oh, silly" Two dogs charge out of the house right past her and run out to the fence then circle back to the porch and one grabs me by the calf of my leg and tears a hugh hole in my new $14.00 tights! I have 4 canine marks and a very big bruise now. I don't know how the skin did not break and leave such a bad bruise. I screamed and so did my sister but no one came out of the house to see if we were ok. She NOW listed the call as a closed gate with a biting dog and a letter will be sent.

OH NO so glad your ok. I never trust anything that shows even a hint of dog. If there is no sign I shake the fence and look for droopings. congratulations on your pioneering. I'm sure you will have much sucess as Jehovah makes it grow.

Leslie, I'm glad it wasn't any worse but it was bad enough! WATCH THOSE DOGS! I guess we all have many dog stories out in preaching work. My dad had a guy sic his dog on him. Thankfully dad had a big bookbag and held it between him and the dog. Another time a little sneaky dog run up behind Dad and grabbed his pantleg. Dad just raised his leg with some force and the dog flew 10 or 12 ft. in front of him. Good job, Dad. One time I went up on the porch to ring the bell. A dog bounded around the house and baring his teeth and growling a low growl which I interpreted as he meant business. No one was home and he wouldn't let me down the steps. I was a bit worried but I remembered that Dad said a dog can sense your fear and it makes them more aggressive, so I put on my brave face and started down the steps and I guess it bluffed him and he turned and left. WHEW! My husband was working with a Dist. Overseer and came to a house with a fenced yard that had a Beware of Dog sign. About that time a mean dog ran up the fence, and the DO pulled out a "Dog Dazer" and that dog spun around and left with his tail between his legs. They went on in the yard to the door and left a handbill. I'll bet those people wondered how in world somebody got past their mean dog!

Oh, thats is too funny about the dog dazer, I know a sister who takes them a big dog biscuit, always works ,they trot off with their biscuit.

So Dorothy, I was in service a couple weeks ago with a brother who visited Fairbanks and he said everybody there carries a gun, do you carry a gun?He said this sister had a bunch of guns and ammo ( that wasn't you was it :pistols: ) ....if this is true, how often has anyone had to use such weapons in the field ministry ? And on what?

Two dogs charge out of the house right past her and run out to the fence then circle back to the porch and one grabs me by the calf of my leg and tears a hugh hole in my new $14.00 tights! I have 4 canine marks and a very big bruise now. I don't know how the skin did not break and leave such a bad bruise.

I would say those tights were worth every penny you spent on them! I was been bitten on the calf by a neighbor's new dog. The bite broke the skin (actually PUNCTURED the skin) and I got a SERIOUS infection because I tried to treat it myself instead of going to the doctor and getting an antibiotic. The doctor said that dogs have a terrible bacteria in their mouths and a bite needs to be treated immediately (glad yours was not a puncture wound). Surface scratches can probably be treated at home - but then I'm not a doctor. Happy you are doing well! I'd stock up with tights in every color!

Nance, sorry I haven't answered your ?s about Alaska. When somebody tells about it up here, all kinds of stories come out, like it's always dark during the day in the winter, we live in igloos, it's always cold, we smoke pot and now --we all carry guns!! Honestly I don't know where these stories come from except thru different people's perception of what they think goes on! Yes, we most all have guns because most people hunt and we carry them for protection against bears and moose. I have a pic. of my husband out in a stream fishing and he has a .45 pistol on his belt but it is carried for protection from wild animals and we have had many bear attacks this year, some slightly injured, some severely injured and some people killed and eaten, but it is rare considering that there is sooo much outdoor activity up here by many people. Many of the brothers as well as my husband and boys like to go on snowmobile trips into the wilderness and they always carry guns for protection from moose that do not want to give up the trail. We do meet "wild" people sometimes in service. A young brother and I went to a door and the householder pulled a gun on us and ordered us off his place and he stood on the porch with his gun until we were gone. Scary! We have seen several times that a householder will have a gun handy but not using it. Alaska is really no different than the northern tier states in the lower 48as far as weather. It gets below 0 but gets cold and stays cold so you get used to it and here at Fairbanks we have very little wind. For about 6 weeks in winter we have very short days but the sun is above the horizon for nearly 4 hours on Dc. 21st but about Mar. our days are same as "outside" (we call the 48 states) but from then until Aug it is light all the time, day and night.I have to say that we have everything here that is elsewhere, fast food places, big box stores, etc. as well as drugs, alcoholism and many kinds of abuse like everywhere else. There are about 80,000 people that live in this little spot in the wilderness and our nearest town of any size is Anchorage and it's 360 miles from here. We have about 300-350 witnesses here. There are many villages around but most have no roads to them. Hope this answers some of your questions. We have lived here nearly 40 years and I guess if we didn't like it we would move like so many do. It is a very transient population here. But them maybe we are "sourdoughs" - sour on the place but no dough to get out!!!

Don't be discouraged Satan will through a lot at you, I remember when I started I was hit with severe Illness so I was thinking of going off the list. I spoke with the C.O.'s wife in which she told me never quit on Jehovah's assignments, it your to sick or inscriptional he will fire you otherwise stay under his employment. He wants all to do your best.