JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Need help with smoking meat

Does anyone on here want to share their experiences--good and bad-what to do-what NOT to do-with me?

I have read up abut smoking meat but would like for someone that has experience share with me how they do it.

Any takers?

I did enter my first cook off (grill/smoke) last year and took home 2nd on the pork butt and 1st place on my Bourbon Baked Beans but I am looking for tips on smoking other things--like ribs--dry rub or wet/marinade. I have done smoked cheese which was really good. Also mac and cheese (smoked) that was just fair--I don't know really what I did wrong--possibly overcooked the macaroni--little on the mushy side even though I thought I undercooked the pasta to be on the safe side.

Thanks

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

"Need help with smoking meat" ... take it off the fire, if it is smoking, it is probably done, or over done :lol1:

Now that I got that out of my system, here are a few thoughts :

• Cook "low and slow" - a good smoked meat should be cooked at a lot temp, around 225º F,for several hours.
    The smoke should be almost colorless for the greater part of the smoking time
    Solid white or very dark smoke can make the meat taste bitter if it last too long
    "Leave it alone", don't keep peeking at it or poking it
    Having a bowl of water in the smoker will add moisture will help keep the meat from drying out
    Use a probe thermometer to know when the meat is done
    Pull the meat about 10-20 degrees before what you want the final temp to be
    Wrap the "done" meat in foil and let it rest for some time in an insulated container or wrapped in a towel - the temp will keep going up during this rest
    Some woods are better for smoking than others - even some hard woods can have a very strong of bitter taste
    NEVER use pine !!!

A good resource for BBQ and smoking is The BBQ Brethren

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thanks John. I am leaving for our CA this evening so I will look over that web site later. I have used apple juice and beer in a stainless steel bowl before but I have a time keeping the temp at a steady/constant low number. I let it die down or flare up and that is the hardest part of the whole process for me.

Have a great weekend because I am looking forward to spending time with new friends and learning mor about Jehovah and his future plans for us'

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

• 2 months later...

I've smoked chicken thighs before canning it. Light marinade and alder chips. I also smoke my tuna before canning. Lightly, mostly to cook some of the fat off.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34