JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Which apps do you use?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3766 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I just got an iPad...:ecstatic: so I am looking for ways to get my theocratic stuff together. I can't figure out how to get the links for Watchtower Library and JW.org on my iPad. I am a bit challenged so I have been searching in here for tips. I always have to go through the internet to get it. On my laptop it is my home page, JW.org. I didn't realize until now that the Library had a separate place, I always just went through the main site. See, I am pretty slow here. I like doing my highlights and having at least 5 that I print and take to the meetings. I want to stop doing that and just use my pad. So I am looking for a word processor that I can do talks on (girlie talks:readbible:) and my highlights, reviews ect. Also, linking this site. I am not on very often, but I always have to find it when I do.

Any help would be appreciated. :givehug:

If you want to create a shortcut to a website (it will look like an app) just go to that website with the safari browser. Then on top, next to the address bar, click on the little sign that looks like a arrow shooting out of a box. The option in the middle will say "add to home screen" click on that. Done.

As a word processor for writing talks, recipes...I use the app "notability". I think it cost $1 or so. But well worth it.

But lately I have been using the app "goodnotes" instead of "ibooks" for the watchtower and Jeremiah book. And as the name suggests it's great for writing notes, talks... It cost $5 but I love it. If I could do it again I'd just get goodnotes right away and not notability.

Sorry, I'm not good with explaining things.

Is there an app that you can use to search the WTL? For Android.

For the entire WTLibrary, i am only aware of iSilo.

OK...I have that.I just can't punch a word or phrase into a search bar on it like I can at jw.org , which doesn't have as much as a full WTL but it's OK...I can search by subject .It's hard to find specific things , the subjects are rather broad in scope.

I did see the Equipd from an earlier post, bought it. I agree with its awesomeness...but...I get the Bible on my iPod but not on my new iPad...:nope: That is very sad, so when I am reading something and click the highlited blue scripture...blank...just the books of the bible on the top and Chapter/verses under that but no scripture. I downloaded into cache. Everything else comes up but not the bible. But on my iPod I have the bible fine. But for study I need it on my iPad...any possible ideas that I could try? :praying: I even deleated it once and reloaded, no bible todavia.

I read the downloaded weekly study material from meek space on Adobe reader so I can highlight it or insert notes but daily I go to WOL to read the text and the article it is taken from and footnotes and m.references and I can use the pub index for research then Scripture index. I just downloaded the free Webster dictionary for Android and it has a feature that will pronounce the word you look up! This is the feature I was missing from WOL compared to Wt. Lib. on computer disc..Also the dictionary has an excellent def. of Jehovah and JW!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I use Good Notes for school book, preparing watchtower, Jeremiah book, kingdom ministry and taking notes, Adobe Reader app for song book and reading W&A, year book and so on. iPad app "Holy Bible" is nice to use and it has a link to Watchtower Library. NWT app is also a reference bible, also nice to use. Those learning a new language might also appreciate NWT app because you can have to languages showing at the same time.

I just got my iPad too!

I used to always use Foxit PDF reader/writer on the computer, it let's you add notes, highlights, etc. but now the iPad doesn't run computer software of course.

Definitely going to look into these apps.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for sharing, I'd never spotted the concordance in isilo! There are a few apps that have been mentioned that I've not heard of so will definitely try them.

To add the wol.jw.org to your home screen, go to the website, and at the bottom of your screen you'll see an icon(on your ipad not on the website) that has a square with an arrow 'popping' out. If you tap this you will see a list of options, one of which is "Add to home screen" once there you can do a tap + hold for a few seconds until all the icons wobble, then move it where you like.

Hope that all makes sense!

• 4 weeks later...

I use the following for all of my ministry, study and theocratics needs on my Note 2, as well as non theocratic apps:

1.Daily text Pro-It has a transparent widget that goes well with any wallpaper. Also able to save texts as my favorite and share them.

2. NWT Pro-Love the search feature and Bible topics for discussion.

3. YouVersion Bible

4. Ministry Assistant

5. JW Songbook-Good for offline use

6. Copy cloud storage-For online storage of all the publications, photosync etc.

7. A plethora of PDF readers: ezPDF, Mantano, MoonReader, Repligo. In my search to find the one that best fits my needs, I ended up buying them all! I think I'm leaning towards ez as my favorite. Oh yeah, Foxit is pretty good too(its free).

8. Merriam Dictionary, Dictionary.com

9. FTP Cafe

10. EZFile Explorer

11. Papyrus

12. JW Podcaster

13. Ruzzle, CandyCrush-My absolute fav games.

14.OI Safe

15. LMT Pie

*Philippians 4:13~My daily reminder that with Jehovah's backing I can do it!*

I love Equipd. I use it all the time. I can't use iSilo, as it isn't accessible with Voiceover. The buttons are accessible, but Voiceover will not detect any text in the file. I was told by another blind sister that iSilo is aware of the inaccessibility of their apps to the blind. They've been aware for years and seem not to care. For the bible, I only use Equipd if I'm clicking on a scripture link. Otherwise, I prefer Jwbible, which was free when it was on the app store but is no longer there. I like it because it has a search function. The author took down the free Jwbible and instead posted a $0.99 app called Jw-bible NWT. It's the same app only with more features. One which I enjoy is the ability to stream the audio version of the NWT or download individual books for reading. The other is that the new NWT included in this app has cross references and footnotes. I saw someone mention the free NWT app for the iPhone. It doesn't work very well with Voiceover, so I don't use it.

• 6 months later...

I use Mantano Reader for all of my studying and reading.

I'll agree here. It isn't free ($6.99) but very simple to use. Download what you can as ePub files so that the links will work. You can set the tablet to import directly into Mantano Reader so that it is very easy to keep up to date.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an iPad...:ecstatic: so I am looking for ways to get my theocratic stuff together. I can't figure out how to get the links for Watchtower Library and JW.org on my iPad. I am a bit challenged so I have been searching in here for tips. I always have to go through the internet to get it. On my laptop it is my home page, JW.org. I didn't realize until now that the Library had a separate place, I always just went through the main site. See, I am pretty slow here. I like doing my highlights and having at least 5 that I print and take to the meetings. I want to stop doing that and just use my pad. So I am looking for a word processor that I can do talks on (girlie talks:readbible:) and my highlights, reviews ect. Also, linking this site. I am not on very often, but I always have to find it when I do.

Any help would be appreciated. :givehug:

Just got mine too and it is Tecno Phantom N9 Tablet. This forum is awesome thanks to you all the moderators. I was able to use the free version applications and installed on my android tablet. And i am so excited using it for my purpose of theocratic benefits both at meetings and at work too.

Please keep up the good work while Jehovah continue to use you all in develpoing the means to advance the kingdom interest.

Hi inkartinc! You certainly seem excited!

Adding links is easy, go to the website in Safari(wol.jw.org or jw.org) the at the bottom of the screen is an icon that's a little square with an upward pointing arrow. Tap that the. Tap "add to home screen".

If your talking about the JW Library app then you need the App Store, just search "jw library" in there. You want the purple one :-)

As for a word processor, I think Pages(Apple's answer to Word) is available for iPad if not the Notes app is actually pretty good.

It's been mentioned before in this thread but Equipd is very good if you don't mind paying a little bit for it.

Hope that helps!

-- Edit: I do apologise, I replied to the original post thinking it was new. Please disregard this post :-)

Edited by MikeC

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for that. My first post was a while back! I have come a long way since then. I have no problem trying things. I have 2 apps I use that have gotten me to try many different word processing apps. They are:Apps Gone Free and Apps Price Drop. With them I have had fun trying things until I have found what works for me...unless someone has something new...?

What I do now is I use Notability for my Watchtower, I like having control over my marks, iBooks and Equipd I don't have that control.

I Dropbox my Bible Highlights from my laptop with the Wt CD on it into Notability along with the KM from Box. Sometimes, Meekspace, but I like the format I get from the Box account, it's more like a reg KM. I have different files set up in Notability for different Wt articles that I want to study again, Conversation with a Neighbor, Imitate Their Faith, ect. Brochures and that kind of stuff.

I use Equipd for the Daily text cuz like like being able to quickly read the scriptures noted, the Wt article it's from etc. I also use it at the meeting and studies for the Reasoning Book and Insight, BE etc. I don't like Notabilty for books tho, I have been using EZPDF for my books. I tried several others (including Iannotate and didn't like them) EZPDF seems to fit my needs for the books, annotating doesn't flow like I like in Notability but it's ok. Wish it had a wrist guard, maybe someday. The iPad song book I downloaded from here works in EZPDF, that's cool. Thanks to you brothers who provided that!

I use GoodNotes for taking notes at Assemblies and CO visits. I like being able to zoom write in the box at the bottom for smaller notes. I download the program for the assemblies into a new book.

I have FreeVideo for all the videos and clips which I use on my bible studies.

I have one page on my iPad that is strictly for my study and meetings apps.

You may also benefit from a free app called DOCUMENTS, many have   ...   http://www.meekspace.org/index.php?do=/forum/thread/131/your-preferred-study-method-for-the-watchtower-and-why/   here's a tutorial   http://www.meekspace.org/index.php?do=/video/1/documents-tutorial-part-1-intro/

Edited by timpin