JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Implications Of Syrian Conflict And Proposed Peace Conference

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3969 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Rami Khouri of the Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs at the American University of Beirut discusses the civil war in Syria and its regional implications.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-06/implications-of-syrian-conflict/4739148

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-06/syrian-govt-seizes-qusayr/4736358

*** Bible Citations ***
(Revelation 16:14) They are, in fact, expressions inspired by demons and perform signs, and they go forth to the kings of the entire inhabited earth, to gather them together to the war of the great day of God the Almighty.
(Revelation 16:16) And they gathered them together to the place that is called in Hebrew Har–Ma·ged′on.

Edited by Purple Triangle

When I see the conflict in the Middle East at the moment I see more than the actual fighting.

When the aging prophet Daniel was in need of encouragement an angel came to strengthen him. Daniel 10:13 says

*** Bible Citations ***
But the prince of the royal realm of Persia was standing in opposition to me for twenty-one days, and, look! Mi′cha·el, one of the foremost princes, came to help me; and I, for my part, remained there beside the kings of Persia.

And then when he was about to leave Daniel the angel said.

*** Bible Citations ***
So he went on to say: “Do you really know why I have come to you? And now I shall go back to fight with the prince of Persia. When I am going forth, look! also the prince of Greece is coming.

Of these princes of the Daniel book says.

*** dp chap. 12 p. 205 Strengthened by a Messenger From God ***

It is clear that the nations of the world never were and are not now under the guidance or rulership of God or Christ. While Jehovah permits “the superior authorities” to exist and maintain control of earthly governmental affairs, he does not appoint his angels over them. (Romans 13:1-7) Any “princes” or “rulers” over them could be placed there only by “the ruler of the world,” Satan the Devil. They would have to be demonic rulers rather than angelic guardians. There are, then, invisible demonic forces, or “princes,” behind the visible rulers, and national conflicts involve more than mere humans.

When I see Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, Israel, Iran on the brink of all out war I see the demonic forces behind the conflict. Throw in the political maneuvering between America and Russia you get an interesting situation.

I guess quoting Revelation 16:14,16 was a bit presumptuous of me. At the moment I am a little bit manic and my comments can reflect this.

The conflict in Syria is both political and religious. Very complex. Russia is allied with Assad and his government. America supports the opposition. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/07/opinion/abdo-shia-sunni-tension/index.html

Sunni Muslims and Shiite Muslims don't like each other very much. Much the same as Protestants and Catholics in Northern Ireland.

I don't know if what I am seeing is a climax or whether it is my Mania talking but it seems to me like things are gearing up.

Throw in the proposed Peace conference. This means I can barely contain my excitement.

I have just been called for dinner so I had better go.

Hopefully this makes a bit of sense and I am not just rambling. :)

Here is another couple of stories on the Peace Conference the Russians are proposing. Makes for very interesting reading.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/05/us-syria-crisis-conference-russia-idUSBRE9540UJ20130605

http://newindianexpress.com/nation/India-should-be-part-of-Geneva-II-peace-conference-on-Syria/2013/06/07/article1624633.ece

I can't sleep tonight. It is 1:50 am local time. I will keep on the watch.  :)

How all this will play out is anyone's guess. I find it interesting that President Obama is VERY leery about getting involved in this Civil War - as there can't really be a "winner" - only losers (see Vietnam). And who wants to be on the losing side? He clearly doesn't.

He is president for 4 more years. I doubt this conflict will go on for 4 more years, but who knows.

I am reminded of ancient Babylon. It didn't come down when ones expected it to. It went down while it was throwing itself a HUGE party about how GREAT it was. I can't help but imagine we will see something similar - everything looking good and economies back on track and people turning back to religions for help with personal problems - with church going numbers going UP (like a big party) - then BOOM! unexpected governments turn.

I just can't help getting the feeling that - this Syria conflict looks too easy of an answer - too easy to point to as the beginning of the GT. After all, it has already been YEARS in the making. This just doesn't seem unexpected enough - but who knows. Keep telling people about the real solution - God's Kingdom and the rest will play out as Jehovah intends.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I am reminded of ancient Babylon. It didn't come down when ones expected it to. It went down while it was throwing itself a HUGE party about how GREAT it was. I can't help but imagine we will see something similar - everything looking good and economies back on track and people turning back to religions for help with personal problems - with church going numbers going UP (like a big party) - then BOOM! unexpected governments turn.

I think it is interesting what the "Daniel's Prophecy" book says.

*** dp chap. 7 pp. 100-101 Four Words That Changed the World ***
A FEAST GETS OUT OF CONTROL
3 The 5th chapter of Daniel opens with a banquet. “As regards Belshazzar the king, he made a big feast for a thousand of his grandees, and in front of the thousand he was drinking wine.” (Daniel 5:1) As you can imagine, it must have taken a vast hall to seat all these men, along with the king’s secondary wives and concubines. One scholar notes: “The Babylonian banquets were magnificent, though they usually ended in drunkenness. Wine, imported from abroad, and luxuries of every kind loaded the table. Perfumes filled the hall; vocalists and instrumental performers entertained the assembled guests.” Presiding where all could see him, Belshazzar drank his wine—and drank, and drank.
4 It seems strange that the Babylonians were in such a festive mood on this night—October 5/6, 539 B.C.E. Their nation was at war, and things were not going well for them. Nabonidus had recently suffered defeat at the hands of the invading Medo-Persian forces and had taken refuge in Borsippa, to the southwest of Babylon. And now the armies of Cyrus were encamped right outside Babylon. Yet, it does not seem that Belshazzar and his grandees were worried. After all, their city was the impregnable Babylon! Her colossal walls loomed over deep moats filled by the great Euphrates River as it flowed through the city. No enemy had taken Babylon by storm in over a hundred years. So why worry? Perhaps Belshazzar reasoned that the noise of their revelry would display their confidence to the enemies outside and would dishearten them.

So the Babylonians were at war. I would say that religion at the moment in a lot of respects is at war. Pedophile priests being exposed, Class actions and government enquiries. People are disillusioned and are leaving their pews. Any banqueting that is going on is show of a false sense of security. Just as Belshazzar's was.

Interesting times for sure.

"Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)"

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

In connection with this Syrian problem, I was thinking about Matt. 24:6 "You are going to hear of wars and reports of wars; see that you are not terrified. For these things must take place, but the end is not yet." Satan uses everything at his disposal to sidetrack people. Look how he used WW1 to distract people from the establishment of the Kingdom in heaven in

1914. We don't know what the trigger will be. We may not really recognize it for a time after it occurs. We must stay awake and be prepared to rely on Jehovah to keep us informed and united.

How all this will play out is anyone's guess. I find it interesting that President Obama is VERY leery about getting involved in this Civil War - as there can't really be a "winner" - only losers (see Vietnam). And who wants to be on the losing side? He clearly doesn't.

He is president for 4 more years. I doubt this conflict will go on for 4 more years, but who knows.

What we need to remember about Obama is that he is merely a puppet for demonic forces. Even if he personally as a human being doesn't want to get too involved, he will in the end do what the demonic forces tell him to do.

As for Vietnam, when has man ever learnt from history? Iraq, Afghanistan etc. History repeats itself over and over again. Man has certainly dominated man to his injury. Personally I can't wait until these demonic forces are silenced for the thousand years, and then after that once and for all.