JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Calculus - Last battle of a poor student

João

ROFL...

Well done........ Dead man counting....

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

• 1 month later...

Never give up! First rule in mathematics!!!!!

My college statistics test took me three hours to complete! Our professor was willing to let us sit there as long as it took to get through the final (which was only suppose to take an hour and a half). I think one question took me an hour and I had to redo the last three equations over and over until I could remember it correctly. I had studied a lot before the test by writing out the formulas over and over just using different numbers. It is all about memorizing the formulas and then putting in the numbers. Don't think about the numbers only think about the formulas. Ok, I do admit, I may have had some holy spirit helping me though. 

The universe, time, earth, nature, and our human bodies are all controlled by mathematics. Jehovah holds the highest mathematics PHD. The more we study and understand mathematics we can see that it points directly to an amazing creator. 

With a perfect mind and after millions of years I can only imagine the mathematics we will be able to understand and compute without calculators and computers. 

WOW ... this really takes me back. When I was in high School we had a teacher that was working on his PHD in physics. He was teaching high school physics at this time, but was a little disappointed that he would have to give that up during the term that he wrote his dissertation. For some reason they would not allow him to work full time and do the dissertation at the same time.

Anyway, back to the story .... keep in mind that this was before calculators ... well, just as they were starting anyway. A battery operated calculator then was somewhat large and heavy and one that could add, subtract, multiply and divide, that's it, cost around $200 US - and this was when $200 was a lot of money .... like I said, back to the story.

This teacher was covering information that had to do with the effects of heat and cold and how they can help or stop us if we do not keep their properties and effects in mind.

To illustrate, he showed us his "favorite" slide-rule. That's right, we used slide-rules before calculators. This one was made of a particularly excellent wood and had adjustment screws that required a jewelers set of screw drivers.

Anyway, he explained how he had an important exam. This was a major physics exam that had to do with his Master's Degree that he was getting at the time of this exam.

He spent the morning adjusting his slide-rule and lubricating it with graphite. It was working perfectly when he headed for the exam. Only thing was, the dorm room was NOT air conditioned, but the exam room was.

He said he only go about 15-20 minutes into a 3-4 hour exam when the slide-rule "locked up" - temperature and humidity variations. What to do ... he pulled out "scratch paper" and proceeded with the exam.

He actually got done before the time was up and he was not the last one to finish. He said he had gone through nearly 50 sheets of paper during this exam doing all the math "long hand".

A few days later his professor wanted to see him. When he went to the professors office he was told that he had scored a perfect score on the exam - something NO ONE had ever done in this professors class before.

The professor was amazed and impressed - and so were we.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~