JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

African diet

How do you keep them?Do you raise litters of them like pigs?We used to raise pigs and chickens to eat when I was little.

I had read about you eating cats and dogs there,and many other countries do also.It is not a normal practice here though people eat rabbits here.

Though rabbits are also kept as a pet by many and they would never eat them.I had rabbit stew a brother had killed and cooked while we were camping last fall.It had a lot of pepper in it.

My Chinese friends make "Cliddy Soup" but I haven't tasted it yet. Seems that the neighborhood is void of cats lately. Every once in awhile I hear them calling, "Here Cliddy, cliddy, cliddy."

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

How do you keep them?Do you raise litters of them like pigs?We used to raise pigs and chickens to eat when I was little.

I had read about you eating cats and dogs there,and many other countries do also.It is not a normal practice here though people eat rabbits here.

Though rabbits are also kept as a pet by many and they would never eat them.I had rabbit stew a brother had killed and cooked while we were camping last fall.It had a lot of pepper in it.

I recently discovered this delicious Butternut squash soup from Kelly Osborne, it's not exotic but it is very yummy and so filling with so few ingredients that i purchase from one of the international markets in the neighborhood. Obed my mom ate cat when she was a little girl in her home country. Her constituition is very sturdy and strong to this day!

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
 2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced small
 1 large, or 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, then cut into 1 inch cubes
 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 potato, Yukon gold or russet, cut into 1 inch cubes
4 cups vegetable stock or water
1 cup canned coconut milk
Salt and pepper as needed

1. In a large pot, heat oil to medium-low. Add garlic, onions and a pinch of salt, stirring until translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.

2. Add squash, carrots, potato and stock, bring to boil, lower heat to a simmer and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until vegetables can be easily pierced with a fork. Remove from heat and add the coconut milk.

3. Puree soup in a blender, working in batches so you don't overflow. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

4. Garnish with a sprig of thyme or chopped parsley and a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil.

Makes six 1-cup servings. Each serving: 219 cal, 13 g fat

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

I agree Vernalee.

Mum used to make a baked custard with the tapioca.

I also think they look like frogs eggs.

But they are delicious.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Well, for snails, crash the shell and remove the snail. Then we discard some part of the snail like it's digestive tract. The remains are washed with lemon juice to get rid of it's slimy covering. Lastly, it's washed with salt water.

I knew a brother who made beef with peanut butter in it - that was delicious, over rice!!

Another brother that I knew made something that he called fu-fu - it was like dough that you eat with stew.  He said he had to make it with substitutes, but it was really good, too!

Can you eat any kind of snails?We have these big snails here in our lakes,a lot of them.I wonder if we could eat them.

No no no! please don't! Water snails are dangerous! I can't assure you that those ones you mentioned are safe but here any fresh water snail is not edible except terrestrial ones and the ones in the ocean.

I knew a brother who made beef with peanut butter in it - that was delicious, over rice!!

Another brother that I knew made something that he called fu-fu - it was like dough that you eat with stew. He said he had to make it with substitutes, but it was really good, too!

Fufu is the real deal in Ghana! The brother was right. He made it with substitutes. Fufu is made by pounding boiled cassava and unripe plantain together with a pestle and mortar and energy of course. Fufu is not eaten with stew. Soup rather. Fufu with groundnut soup and either antelope or "enyenle"(python meat) is just paradise!! :D
Edited by obed