JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How do you mark your bible?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3872 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Right now I don't really have a specific system. With my newest bible I used only black pen.

But sometimes I underline a whole scripture, sometimes I underline the main thought, and other times I only circle the verse number. And yet other times I put a square parenthesis line connecting several verses in the margin.

Then sometimes I write my own cross references either in the margin, at the end of the scripture or on the bottom of the page.

In addition to that I write explanations and my own thoughts in the margin or the bottom.

And also meanings about illustrations and prophesies.

I was thinking about using a system for my next bible to keep it more organized and easier to identify things....

I was thinking about using different colors. But I don't like highlighters.

Any tips and advise or pictures of your own bible?

Here is one page of my bible:

post-2920-0-33203700-1380292352_thumb.jp

the Bible I used previous to this one was the last one I marked,

all those comforting/ Must Remember this one!/ great-at-the-door scriptures

... but then it seemed I ended up marking just about everything 

the pages then seemed to wear faster, ink smudges, pencil fades...

so I do not mark a Bible anymore

... esp since last Feb when it seemed the 'delay' in getting new Bibles

might be turning into more than a 'delay'   :mellow2:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Do you use specific colors for specific things?

It started out that way, but I never had the right color with me so now it is just random.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I don't underline scriptures in the bible.  I do sometimes write things in my bibles, but not very often.  When I first began attending the meetings way back when, I did write things in my bible to use out in field service.  Now I just rely on God's holy spirit to help me out.   I also have 3 little notebooks that I put scriptures in that come in handy when witnessing to others if I can't remember where a certain scripture is. 

I have a hard time remembering exactly where most of the scriptures are.  I could tell you what book they are in and approximately where they are in the bible, but that's about it.  It doesn't matter how many times I've read a scripture.  I still can't remember exactly where it is in the bible.       

Funny, I never mark my bible. I have little plastic post-it like tabs in my study bible (different colour for different things - I know only geeks colour code so... I'm a geek) but I never write in the bible.  I guess I feel if I underlined every thought I thought was good the whole thing would be underlined.  I write notes in a little notebook that I keep. 

Edited by sunshine

I have pencil notes in my study Bible, but often they are so small I cannot read them anymore! Some are faded too, and now with the latest Wt I find that some notes are out of date. I have some yellow highlights in it too, but would probably do things differently if I started now.

I would never mark a Bible for the ministry, especially in an area where we witness to Muslims. They would see it as highly disrespectful to a holy book. Even when invited in by a Muslim family to talk together, you never put your Bible on the floor (even if for example, you were accepting a drink etc) that would be disrespectful.

I have two bibles.  One for service and one for personal study.  The personal study looks similar to the one above, except for a few yellow highlighted portions.  The color helps me remember where passages are in case am asked a question (when using the non marked Bible) out in the field. 

Edited by allabord4jah

When I came into the truth I began highlighting the scriptures in my Truth book in different colors. I matched them with the chapter and verse in the bible. I LOVE flipping through my bible or books and seeing all the colors. I thrills me.

I have 3 LG bibles and all of them have been dotted and highlighted. I tell you, friends, I just am so happy when I see that we have used those scriptures in talks or in literature. I only highlight what has been studied and brought out. BUT - I do have certain scriptures that I often refer to when speaking with others and they have notes and specifics underlined and or highlighted. Mostly they are scriptures that have to do with depression, grief, abuse issues, low self esteem, etc.. The people who benefit from this are my brothers and sisters already in the truth. But it also works well with bible students of mine.

I use colored pencils, they don't bleed through the page and yes I have different colors for different subjects.  Crayola has some beautiful metallic pencils, I use them.  Purple if for Jehovah, mostly scriptures that point to the importance of His name (purple is my FAVORITE color) Blue for Jesus, especially things disproving the trinity, Green is for scriptures about paradise earth (green grass, trees etc.) When people see my Bible, they see how much I use it and study it.  I have never had anyone (householder, family member, coworker) say anything negative about all the marks in it, they all seem to think it is pretty neat.  Yep, there is a method to my madness :uhhuh: Just a little OCD

I use colored pencils, they don't bleed through the page and yes I have different colors for different subjects.  Crayola has some beautiful metallic pencils, I use them.  Purple if for Jehovah, mostly scriptures that point to the importance of His name (purple is my FAVORITE color) Blue for Jesus, especially things disproving the trinity, Green is for scriptures about paradise earth (green grass, trees etc.) When people see my Bible, they see how much I use it and study it.  I have never had anyone (householder, family member, coworker) say anything negative about all the marks in it, they all seem to think it is pretty neat.  Yep, there is a method to my madness :uhhuh: Just a little OCD

little OCD lol :D

brings to mind this month's WT article on color...

so are the 'last days'/Armageddon scrips in red, prayer scr in white... ?

glad to have you JEP :flowers:

do we welcome you as a sister or brother?

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

I used to buy these twist up "bible" hi-lighters then I figured out that they are nothing but twist up crayola crayons.  So that is what I use to high light points.  Doesn't bleed through to the other side and pretty cheap if you purchase the cheaper brands from walmart.