JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I have installed this program so I can download some movies & kids shows.

I haven't used this before. does anyone use this program please.

I have selected what I want go to download it but am not sure where it goes to.
Thanks for any help.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I use uTorrent, which I find very useful. 

Torrent clients use peer-to-peer networks to download, that is the file is on other peoples' computers and they upload parts of it through their client (called 'seeding') as you download those separate parts.

I have a folder called 'torrents' where I keep the torrent files, and a folder called 'downloads' where I keep the downloaded file until I want to move it.  These options I set up in the 'options' or 'preferences' part of the help menu.  I imagine it is similar with the program you have.

There are useful torrent sites which have perfectly legal items for download, such as Dime-A-Dozen, which I use for downloading music concerts.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Christopher.

That is helpful. I did notice seeding.

So seeding does that mean it is downloading?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

No, Gabe, seeding is where you are uploading.  The term for downloading (apart from downloading!) is 'leeching'.

The idea of the peer-to-peer network is that you may have downloaded parts of the file from someone else, but another person is getting some part from you. It's a 'give-and-take' process.  When you have the complete file, if the client shows you are still 'seeding', then you are uploading to someone else.

Edited by bohemian

Oh wow. Thanks for the eplanation. got it. So it safe to use it then. It is not like Bear Share is it? Hopefully safer without the bugs.

I have no idea what Bear Share is, so cannot comment on that.

It is fairly safe as long as you use normal precautions.  Peerblock is a little program you can use to prevent suspect connections, although it can also block sites you may want to visit!  I run it before leeching/seeding and turn it off afterwards.

Keep your antivirus and firewall up to date, of course.  Run a virus check on any downloaded file before you open it.

The temptation to download illegally (i.e. steal, thieve) is VERY strong with torrenting, so be careful. The music and movie industries are watching and trying to track you. Jehovah see's you too ;)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Thanks Bob yeah I have heard to many bad stories. People being sued more than they can afford to pay back.

Please don't take me the wrong way.

Even if the program says legal. Then it may not be. Right?

I hope you I am not confusing. Just double checking?

• 1 year later...

Now how about sharing? If someone owns a program, is it okay to copy from their pc for your personal use if the laws in the country allows it. 

If the laws AND the software maker are OK with it.

As an example - Apple has a new feature where apps can be shared with family members.

Microsoft has a similar feature of sharing Office on multiple PCs - through a work share program.

I am certain we could come up with more. THEN there are some software manufactures who specifically state "NO SHARING" - click yes to agree. Well, if you clicked "yes" then you wouldn't share it, eh?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Now how about sharing? If someone owns a program, is it okay to copy from their pc for your personal use if the laws in the country allows it.

The various international copyright treaties virtually guarantee that any sharing without direct permission of the manufacturer is illegal.

And regardless of the legality, we would abide by the software agreements that we 'signed' by clicking agree. While we may not necessarily face legal action, we would want to remember Jesus' words at Matthew 5:37: "Just let your word ‘Yes’ mean yes, your ‘No,’ no."