JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Winter Storms Affecting You?

Have noticed people talking about storms in their area. Is this early for you? How's it going? Is it unusually cold?

It was a blizzard this morning so bad I had to turn around and go home. I had ended up sideways in the road twice so that's enough for me, I don't have a death wish. It's not me I worry about but the stupid people who don't have a healthy fear of WRECKING!

In the Pacific NW of USA  and on the West side of the mountains it's not really snowy until January. We may have some ice and such, but to have this  much snow on top of days of freezing weather is unusual. Our pipes froze up yesterday so I had some work getting them thawed. Need to get in the attic and throw more insulation around.

Tell us your weather.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Freezing cold in Las Vegas at 28f high of 41 brrrrrr

I actually had to make sure the sprinkler pipes were wrapped - so they wouldn't freeze last night.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I actually had to make sure the sprinkler pipes were wrapped - so they wouldn't freeze last night.

Wimp! ( Weak Ineffectual Male Person. :tongue:   When I was in Vegas for 3 weeks, back in Jan 02 it got down to 23-24 F some nights. At home ( lived near Georgian Bay ) it got a tad chilly that year  maybe -32C ( -21 F ), but nothing like the old usual temps in Jan   -40 either scale and lower ( out in the boonies it used to get -50 C  or -58 F  - I only saw -44 C  :eek:  Ground wasn't even frozen beneath the snow )

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Sunny and 75;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dave, Dave, Dave.....you're just too much!

So you're East US? I thought they were getting freezing weather too? Ohh, are you SOUTH East??

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Very cold,icy and snowing.I took a snow day from service.:-)

27* and 41* for a high sounds really cold to me for Las Vegas.Our temp is 32* but wind chill feels like 27*.

Where are you Nancy? I hear mid west is bad.

It's still snowing here. Am listening to the local radio station and they're reporting all frozen roads, and freezing snow. This morning I couldn't keep my windshield from freezing even with my defrosters on. Have about 4 inches now. Really weird. Not used to it.

Haven't had much snow here yet in West Michigan.  It is cold outside though.  The wind chill is 13 degrees Fahrenheit.  Going to be even colder tomorrow.

I wish it would snow here.  I live in a mobile home and the landlord doesn't have heating tape around the pipes.  Every year I have to pile snow all around the skirt of my trailer to insulate the pipes.  It also helps to keep my cats, the skunks, and the neighbors cats warmer under there.

Our meeting was cancelled last night. The freezing rain started before the meeting and by 10 pm the roads were all ice, so it's good they cancelled it.

The Spanish Cong that meets at our hall cancelled their meeting for tonight as well.

It's a high of 26 degrees today, overnight low of 17.  All the ice is suppose to refreeze overnight.  We have our Sunday meeting on Saturday morning and that may be cancelled as well, no word yet.  My husband and son were out early this morning and bought bout 60 bags of salt for the KH parking lot in case we have a meeting tomorrow morning.  Our meeting is at 10 am on Sat, and my husband and son will be out early tomorrow spreading the salt on the parking lot if we have the meeting.

I did all my errands yesterday, so I get to stay inside the house today!!!  Probably gonna get a fire going shortly to take the chill out of the living room.

The view from my house is ice everywhere.

Lol, you sound like the people down here in TX!!!!

You would not last up north!!!  

I am originally from Chicago, and I always laugh at the people in TX when bad weather hits.  Some of the stores yesterday had all their shelves cleaned as everyone was buying food and stuff preparing for the worst.  And honestly, it's not that bad out, at least compared to where I am from.

Low in the twenties at night, but dry. Now, snow. However we get moisture, we need it. We live on a hillside. So, going down it will be pretty scary until we get a trail blazed. Got to do it. The circuit overseers is coming Tuesday. Snow shovel time. Plenty of food for cats, dogs, and humans. Seed for birds. Wood for the fire. So far, so good.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Oh my word such tempermental temperatures! It was about the mid 70s here today very very warm...got to wear my beloved platform flip flops and sip my delicioso ice coffee-LARGE! > :D< The things summers are made of...oh wait a minute it's December...I may not be happy for long I understand the temp is dropping to the 50s tomorrow. :uhhuh:

We have had a really different winter. Winter was a month late, then it hit us. We had 83 mph winds and snow. In 40 yrs of being here, we have never had wind like that. We hardly ever have wind and our tall spruce trees are very shallow rooted and it doesn't take much to blow them over. The trees tore out electric lines all over the countryside and many were without any power for more than a week -our daughter included. They were well prepared and didn't suffer much at all. We didn't lose power here at our house but they did across the road! Then it turned bitter cold down to -35 in lowlying areas. That's why almost everybody has back-up heat of some kind- there was lots of wood everywhere!   :lol1: Then after that, more snow and then freezing rain and more snow! Lots of meetings were cancelled here as well as in the Anchorage area. Now it's warm even above 30+. We've had it all this year-- never know what is coming the next day. When we first came up here, we knew what the next day would bring. In Oct. it would snow and the piled up snow would sit there on every branch and post and stay there till it melted in April. NOT NOW but we are prepared :exclamation:

Dorothy, I was thinking about you this morning. I was watching the local NW news, NWCN, it covers from Alaska to Idaho. It said in Anchorage this morning it was 33F. I went to work at 7:45 and it was 16F! I can't remember when we were colder than Alaska! I still have about 4" of snow in the yard and driveway but the roads were fairly clear this morning. It's so dry so it's not bad. However this afternoon we'll have about 3 hours of sun on the roads and it'll melt then it's supposed to get 15 tonight so I can only imagine the skating rink we'll have by morning. And it's supposed to snow again tonight too.

We have about 6" of snow on top of ice. My husband and our neighbors are trying to pack down the driveway to get to the road. We have a 1/2 mile driveway with a steep hill at the end. My husband had to use his tractor to pull the neighbor's vehicles up the hill so they can park on top. We have only one 4 wheel drive vehicle between us but we do have a 4 wheeler and the neighbors do too. It's suppose to snow a little tonight but then turn off and be clear and cold for a few days. 

I have to stay inside until it all melts, if I fall I will be back at the hospital so I am home alone as usual and the neighbors and my husband are burning brush piles and cooking marshmallows. All our neighbors are witnesses and 2 of them are my children. 

The 2 children that live by us did spend the day with me which was very kind of them to do so. 

Hope everyone is safe and dry this week. Lots of love. 

I just talked to my son and DIL who live in Wasilla-Palmer (AK) area and they said they had freezing fog!! My DIL went in service this morning even tho the roads are slick and the fog is so thick one can hardly see beyond your nose. She went with others and brothers were driving for which she was glad. I'll bet those householders thought there is nothing to stop those JWs. BTW- my son stayed in. He said it was not fit for man or beast but he is a true "house cat". He likes his warm and cozy. Besides he has a bad knee--it wouldn't do for him to slip on the ice.  :nope:

I slipped on black ice and my patella exploded into 7 pieces. I was on crutches for a year. Didn't help the weight loss one bit either. Better to stay home under those conditions.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I slipped on black ice and my patella exploded into 7 pieces. I was on crutches for a year. Didn't help the weight loss one bit either. Better to stay home under those conditions.

When?