JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

anybody seen this site w a bunch of old literature?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3772 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/archive.htm

i havent examined it to closely. some of the really old stuff i never even heard of. there is some Miller stuff on there which i vaguely know of the millerites.... but it looks like a collection of old literature from wt bible students.

before i start downloading stuff, is anyone familiar w this site? i was looking for paradise lost book and they had it.

b

http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/archive.htm

i havent examined it to closely. some of the really old stuff i never even heard of. there is some Miller stuff on there which i vaguely know of the millerites.... but it looks like a collection of old literature from wt bible students.

before i start downloading stuff, is anyone familiar w this site? i was looking for paradise lost book and they had it.

b

Friendly warning;

Be careful with these internet sites that house many old literature that is not being used anymore.

Friendly warning;

Be careful with these internet sites that house many old literature that is not being used anymore.

i figured. thats y i didnt stick around to look at it very long. being somewhat new in the truth, i saw some unfamiliar "old" stuff and terms that i just dont know anything about. like the miller stuff. i vaguely remember hearing something about miller but dont know if its something i should read (as in history context) or avoid completely. so i just left...

i vaguely remember hearing something about miller but dont know if its something i should read (as in history context) or avoid completely.

For general reading and study the new stuff should keep you occupied for quite some time, and the two "Faith in Action" videos on JW.org should give you a good historical overview of the organization. (Vol 1, Vol 2)

That said, the pre-1900 'Zion's Watch Tower' issues with calculations of Daniel's prophecy to reach 1914 can be useful for particularly stubborn Bible students who insist that we came up with the year and calculations after the fact (a well-stocked Kingdom Hall library will likely have a bound volume of these for an unaltered source), and a few of the trickier beliefs are more thoroughly explained in the 1930-1950 era publications. But even for in-depth research I tend to steer clear of the pre-1930 stuff unless I'm looking for a specific date, because that's the era when there were still some serious misunderstandings. For example:

w00 1/1 p. 9 par. 16

"In 1886 when C. T. Russell published a book that came to be called The Divine Plan of the Ages, this volume contained a chart linking the ages of mankind with the Great Pyramid of Egypt. [...] Well, as an examplethe length of certain passages in the Great Pyramid was said to indicate the time for the beginning of the “great tribulation” of Matthew 24:21, as it was then understood. Some Bible Students became engrossed with measuring different features of the pyramid to determine such matters as the day they would be going to heaven!"

I applaud the caution being counselled on this thread. There are sites with 'adjusted' versions of early literature out there.

My reasoning is explained on this page: http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/reason.html and I hope it reassures everyone. Everything is either a pdf of a scanned image,or has been personally prepared by me from my own scanning/ocr.

Any complaints, you know who I am and where to reach me.