JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fun Bits Of Random Trivia

I love learning something new every day. It can be theocratic or not. But it has to be little know in my region. Here's one I found and was pleasantly surprised at the answer.

If there is another thread like this please move me, I looked but didn't see anything.

WHO IS THE LARGEST TIRE MANUFACTURER? 

One of the oldest tire manufacturers is Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, founded in 1898 in Akron, Ohio.

A couple years later, Firestone Tires and Rubber Company was also founded in Akron. It’s unclear why both companies formed in the same city, but there’s no question they were the kings of the tire world for over 75 years.

lego-tires.jpg?w=455&h=343

If you ask someone which company makes the most tires, they’re likely going to answer Goodyear or Firestone. Goodyear does have one Guinness World Record, although it’s for fuel economy. But, the company that produces the most tires is LEGO.

It seems reasonable once you think about it, but the number of tires they product is absolutely stagering. The first LEGO set with tires shipped in 1962 and that set was one of the top sellers in 1967 with 820,400 units sold. In fact, nearly half of all current LEGO sets include a tire of some kind. That adds up to about 318 million tires per year or 12 tires every second.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you know that if you count your grandparents going back just 20 generations, you'll find that you have over 2,000,000 grandparents. This applies to everyone, since it takes two to tango and the numbers increase exponentially, namely,  4, 8, 16, 32, 64, and so on.

The implications of this, are that, given a common geographical area or region, like a country or even a continent, you don't have to go back very far before everyone has at least one, if not more, common ancestors and hence many relatives outside the obvious aunts, uncles and cousins. The last names may make it easier to identify distant relatives, but the names don't tell the whole story since the females who marry take their husband's last name, and yet their offspring carry their mother's DNA leading back to the paternal grandparent. As people became more mobile in the last 200 years and large numbers of immigrants moved and have continued to move to new countries, the potential of being related to someone you don't even know has grown even greater.

It's just goes to show the truthfulness of Jesus' words to his disciples at Matthew 23:8, " ...... and all of you are brothers."

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley