JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Our Amazing Body

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3685 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/whoknew-amazing-body-060000382.html

Did you know that over the next thirty minutes your body will generate enough heat to boil a half-gallon of water? Or that right now millions of dead skin cells are falling off your body and being replaced with new ones?We may live in the computer age but the human body is still the world’s most amazing machine. According to a 2011 article in Wired Magazine, all the personal computers in the world can process about 6.4 quintillion instructions per second combined -- that’s the number 64 followed by 17 zeros. That’s equal to the number of nerve impulses sent out by a single human brain every second – meaning it would take almost every computer in the world to process the data your brain releases each second.The human heart is equally as impressive. The amount of energy it produces in an hour of beating is the same amount of energy needed to lift a one-ton object three feet off the ground.There are some limitations to our bodies, though. Humans are the only mammals that can’t swallow and breathe at the same time. Our larynx sits lower in our throat compared with other mammals, which allows us to make the wide range of sounds needed for speech – but it also means if we try and breathe when we swallow, we’ll choke.So maybe our bodies aren’t 100% perfect. Even with 6.4 quadrillion brain impulses a second…it’s still nice to have a computer to help you out.

Gotta be somebody who can use this in a talk. :)

I recall somewhere hearing or reading that a concert pianist is making 3,000 decisions every minute...

Or was that every second?

I think even 3,000 per second would make us real dunces!

More like 3 billion/sec would be a start!

Egads, we use computers with 3 gigahertz quad processors and we think they are too slow!

Egads, we use computers with 3 gigahertz quad processors and we think they are too slow!

I have an 8 core ( only 6 running due to not having liquid cooler yet ) 3.6 Mhz with 16 Gb ram and it is slow with some programs.

An ant is smarter.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I have an 8 core ( only 6 running due to not having liquid cooler yet ) 3.6 Mhz with 16 Gb ram and it is slow with some programs.

An ant is smarter.

Hi pnutts, you should use an ant instead of your PC then :lol:

I sometimes wonder at the human body, there's so much we still don't know or appreciate about it.

Thinking about how it grows from conception to birth is mind blowing, then the different stages through life.

Truly marvellous - something to truly marvel at.

Here is another amazing thins about the human body :

When you are injured the red blood cells come to the rescue. They follow a sequence of steps in the healing process. First they clot. Then they begin to stitch. After that they begin to form replacement cells. These cells eventually become whatever part was damaged.

The interesting thing is, they are just red blood cells when they are in the blood stream and in addition to supplying the oxygen we need to live, they flow to where they are needed when called for to do repairs.

If it is skin, they become skin cells. If it is your kidney, they become kidney cells - in other words, they become whatever they need to be - sound like someone we know? Perhaps the One who invented/created them in the first place.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Hi pnutts, you should use an ant instead of your PC then :lol:

I tried that. All I got was "Dead Ants" :whistling: "Dead Ants" :whistling: "Dead Ants" :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: "Dead Ants"

And as our cells die off and replace themselves...some every minute, hour, day, week, years, that means then that what we eat today becomes what we are tomorrow...so we if are eating junk food...that means we become...

But that is why that progressively, since WWII has ended, the human race is sicker and sicker and at younger ages. The way we eat began to change after WWI and more so after WWII. More packaged foods, fast foods, polluted foods. We can see the general health of people dropping for each generation. Including the animals that we have as our pets. We lack energy and stamina that was once the norm. I watch my grandkids struggle. My grandchildren suffers with allergies and fatigue, a year and half ago, when our grandson was 16 he had heart failure. Never a problem before, just looked at his sister and said " I am passing out", only he died. 3 different men on the scene did CPR until paramedics got there and shocked him. Which worked, his heart then started beating again. He is left with some damage but mostly physical. They still have no answers for what happened. They did put in a defibrillator so if "whatever happened" happens again, it will shock him. No heart problems in our family. Just steady breakdown of our incredible bodies.

Let your Kingdom come!

Yes! Our bodies are amazing. Pretty amazing for just random occurrences and things starting with a "Big Bang". I know whenever I create something and it goes bang or boom it looks like messy art with no order and chaotic. LOL. ::sarcasm::

An ant is smarter.

Sounds like you have an AMD FX-8150 or 8350 like I do? Maybe? I have a closed loop water cooler though on the FX-8350 and 16GB Ram too! Then my FX-8150 is a running my 6TB VMware file server.

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

Here is a video I came across awhile back. It was produced by Harvard Medical School. It depicts the life

of a white blood cell. Get out some of the Societies publications on the cell and see if you can identify the

various parts and what they are doing. It is like a whole orchestra in an operation. To see all of this and rea-

lize this is going on right now in all of the billions of cells in our bodies, all of which are not even as big as the

period at the end of this sentence, gives new meaning to the phrase awe inspiring ! Well could David write:

" In an awe-inspiring way I am wonderfully made." - Psalms 139:14. The video is entitled "The Inner Life of the

Cell - YouTube. " Hope you all enjoy it.

GStorrs46

[quote name="xTHENKx" post="205202"

Sounds like you have an AMD FX-8150 or 8350 like I do? Maybe? I have a closed loop water cooler though on the FX-8350 and 16GB Ram too! Then my FX-8150 is a running my 6TB VMware file server.

FX-8320 3.6 GHz - haven't seen a good water cooler in my price range except refurbished and they tend to leak.

Can't use an ant, landlord brought in pest control and killed them all off.