JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Antarctic ice sheet rapidly collapsing, studies contend

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3620 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2014/05/12/collapse-parts-west-antarctica-ice-sheet-has-begun-scientists-say/BC7xkIWyGjJBcwSsMkS7pM/story.html

“Today we present observational evidence that a large sector of the West Antarctic ice sheet has gone into irreversible retreat,” Rignot said in the NASA news conference. “It has passed the point of no return.”

Those six glaciers alone could cause the ocean to rise 4 feet as they disappear, Rignot said, possibly within a couple of centuries. He added that their disappearance will most likely destabilize other sectors of the ice sheet, so the ultimate rise could be triple that.

A separate team led by Ian Joughin of the University of Washington studied one of the most important glaciers, Thwaites, using sophisticated computer modeling, coupled with recent measurements of the ice flow. That team also found that a slow-motion collapse had become inevitable. Even if the warm water now eating away at the ice were to dissipate, it would be “too little, too late to stabilize the ice sheet,” Joughin said. “There’s no stabilization mechanism.”

4' in 200 years. So, the oceans will be slow to rise at first, but we will see a slow and steady rise.

This will affect many coastal cities - eventually.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

• 2 weeks later...

As ice melts the volume the ice (water) takes gets smaller. If the ice starts on land and moves to the sea the volume grows more since it is not floating on the sea but adds water to the sea when it melts..

(Water expands as it freezes, and shrinks as it melts.)

Since most of the ice is now floating, the volume of water will get smaller, and the sea will stay the same depth, maybe even go  down

some.

I have never seen this explained anywhere, so the "water drowners" are flooding us out with false science.

That's just it, most of the ice in the Antarctic isn't floating - yet. But it soon will be. Call me crazy, but I am going to have to trust these scientists who have been studying this for decades and who have computer models showing what will happen vs trusting someone without these credentials.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Blah blah blah.

So tell me which scientist do you trust? There is so much confusion, lies, errors, and manipulation of data there is no way i put faith in any of them, either side. It's just another satanic effort to stir up emotions.

I think I will let Jehovah take care of it. I hear it won't be much longer. :)

There is so much confusion, lies, errors, and manipulation of data there is no way i put faith in any of them, either side.

That problem isn't with the scientists, that problem is with politically charged "news reporters" who turn any and every story not endorsed by their corporate and political sponsors into a hate-campaign against The Other Side™.

Whether the ice is really melting that the claimed rate or not is irrelevant, I just can't understand why so many people are so quick to defend pollution based on literally nothing more than blind allegiance to their chosen political/news party.

That's just it, most of the ice in the Antarctic isn't floating - yet. But it soon will be. Call me crazy, but I am going to have to trust these scientists who have been studying this for decades and who have computer models showing what will happen vs trusting someone without these credentials.

Problem is, there are scientists who are just as eminently qualified on the other side of the issue.  Credentials just as reputable.  (http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/SORCE/sorce_04.php) Forty years ago, the 'experts' said we were going into a period of 'global cooling,' and that we'd soon end up in the deep freeze.  We didn't.

What might happen in 100-200 years isn't important, as I am sure the new system will have begun by then.  We should not allow worldly controversies to divide us.

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Politicly charged? Maybe or are they are just trying to make a living?

Not defending for sure. But I can find information to defend either side. Experts for either side. So men are hardly blind when it comes to their arguments. THEY ALL LIE TO SEEK THEIR BENEFIT. Just pick your poison so to speak. Pass tough laws and watch people lose jobs, freeze in the winter, cook in the summer. Do you like the clothes you wear, the car you drive, the computer you are reading this on. Think about it everything we do today contributes to the ruining of the earth to some extent.

I laugh when I see the ones who push invironmental laws and regulations and then fly all over the world in their jets. Or make financial gain off trading tax credits and goverment grants to provide their points. Mean while I have seen the effects of companies dumping chemicals into the Galveston bay system, we can't eat the fish for all the dioxins in the inland waters. I have seen what train derailments do the the local environments. No doubt man is ruining the earth. Not really anything new there right? 

I feel it is a tool Satan is using to splinter mankinds relationships.

For me, it is as you said all irrelevent. Anything that may happen in 200 years won't. Jehovah will remedy it. I just get sick of hearing all the lies both sides spout out. Can't we all get along? Oh yeah the answer is no.

In the mean time I will enjoy the coolest Spring/Summer I can remember in a long time sharing information I can be sure of, the real solution to mans problems, Jehovah.

My purpose in posting the article wasn't to advocate one policy change or another. As Bible readers we realize only one policy change would really make any difference - the elimination of Satanic influence and the simultaneous acceptance of our Creator's rulership by all on the planet. Anything short of this is futility.

I do appreciate how the slave addresses the issue time and time again. They don't deny facts like the planet's average yearly temperature has increased

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/

And yet they don't get involved in the controversial parts, like what is the cause man or nature.

So my purpose was similar, to point to the fact the ice sheets are melting much faster than even anticipated. And this will have some impact - what and to whom and to what extent - I don't know if anyone knows for certain.

I just hope the "new" policy that is God's Kingdom comes soon. I hate seeing Jehovah's wonderful creation ruined (Rev 11:18) as is happening just as Jesus prophesied.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Politicly charged? Maybe or are they are just trying to make a living?

I'm referring to news commentators (on every network) who tell verifiable lies to defend their network sponsors, and portray criminals (even rapists and torturers) in a sympathetic light, depending on which version of events more closely fits their chosen political narrative.

It's not uncommon for two networks to claim that the same exact scientific report promotes contradictory views, when the true report doesn't even mention any of the claimed views in the first place.

So rather than listen to the known liars on the news, and "scientists" whose reports invariably reflect the views of the corporation that sponsored the study, I'll focus on independently confirmed measurements. And so far, those numbers are clear that the global average temperature is rising (even if some localities are cooler than last year), and sea levels are already rising.

Aw, come on Jerry, let's look at it this way, if the world doesn't get ruined, the GT won't happen, the prophesy won't get fulfilled.

I just hope the "new" policy that is God's Kingdom comes soon. I hate seeing Jehovah's wonderful creation ruined (Rev 11:18) as is happening just as Jesus prophesied.

I guess we should jump for joy!  Well almost! I don't like the ruination of the world either, but we can rely on Jehovah to straighten up the mess.

Maybe God will re-create the lost species he wants on the earth. Jesus did speak of a re-creation.

Edited by crazylee

So rather than listen to the known liars on the news, and "scientists" whose reports invariably reflect the views of the corporation that sponsored the study, I'll focus on independently confirmed measurements. And so far, those numbers are clear that the global average temperature is rising (even if some localities are cooler than last year), and sea levels are already rising.

Looks like sea levels have been increasing for a while to me. Not trying to be argumentive just making a point. The science is not real clear on anything regarding warming or climate change as it is now referred to. Last post for me on this subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_sea_level_rise

Blah blah blah.

So tell me which scientist do you trust? There is so much confusion, lies, errors, and manipulation of data there is no way i put faith in any of them, either side. It's just another satanic effort to stir up emotions.

I think I will let Jehovah take care of it. I hear it won't be much longer. :)

I do agree it's difficult to know who you should believe in.

The fact is though, man is ruining the earth.  Is it as bad as some scientists say, maybe, maybe not.  You can't tell me though with all the stuff man has done, the earth has not suffered.

Do I get overly involved about these things, no.  I know that the time is fast approaching when Jehovah will take care of it.