JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Reusable food wrap

This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I try to find ways to keep leftovers fresh but not use wrap. Mostly I use zippered bags, but this is great. I'll try it!

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2014/07/diy-food-wrap.html?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=onegoodthing&utm_content=%5B%5Brssitem_title%5D%5D

DIY REUSABLE FOOD WRAP

covered-bowl-horizontal.png

When you’re done eating and putting away the leftovers…I hope today’s post will come in handy. :-)

Plastic wrap and aluminum foil are both useful when it comes to keeping food fresh, but also create a lot of waste! Since I’m always on the lookout for new ways to cut down on the amount of trash we produce, when I came across this idea in MaryJanesFarm magazine, I knew I had to give it a try. It’s SO easy to make – just about as easy as stopping by the store for a new roll of plastic wrap – and a real money-saver because you can use it over and over again. I even like the rustic, natural look of it. Several sheets of it folded and tied with a piece of twine would make such a nice house-warming gift! Here’s how to make your own…..

DIY Reusable Food Wrap Supplies:
  • Thin cotton fabric (I used unbleached muslin)
  • Scissors
  • Beeswax
  • Cookie sheet
  • Paintbrush

Start by cutting your fabric into your desired dimensions. It might be a good idea to cut a few different sizes, to use on different sized containers!

muslin-squares.png

Next, if your beeswax is in a bar like mine, you’ll need to grate some. I ended up needing about 2 tablespoons of grated beeswax per 12” square of fabric. If you have wax pellets, you can skip this step. :-)

grating-beeswax.png

Preheat your oven to 200. Then place one of your fabric pieces onto a cookie sheet, and sprinkle the beeswax over the top. (You’ll want to use about double what is pictured below.) Then place your cookie sheet in the oven until the wax melts, which should only take about 5 minutes or so.

beeswax-on-fabric.png

Once the wax is melted, use your paintbrush to spread the beeswax around the fabric, making sure it is evenly covered. Then hang the fabric up somewhere to cool, and it’s ready to use!

brushing-wax.png

You can use the food wrap to cover bowls and plates, wrap sandwiches or block of cheese, or even fold it into a container for snacks. Each wrap should last several months, and if it gets soiled, simply hand wash it in cold water (warm water will melt the wax) and allow it to air dry.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

very useful... I especially like the 'should last several months' part :D

soon, we will learn many ways to make good use of all of earth's resources

thanks Cheryl B)

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

reminded me of the method of water- proofing canvas for tents. wax was dissolved in gasoline, then brushed onto the canvas. yucky, but effective, yes.

the trick with this method of water- proofing the cotton, is to saturate the cloth totally. gotta think on this........

I wouldn't doubt if they had ways of water proofing tents even in Paul's day since they were used quite extensivelly in all types of weather and it probably involved wax because we know they had candles back then!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Al..., Al...., AL.... we're trying to find alternative ways to get away from plastic wrap. Silly man! 

I think Bridget has a good idea, maybe the wax has been around for a long time and we just forgot about it with new technology. 

I remember watching Andy Griffith years ago and I saw him unwrap a lunch from Aunt Bea, it was wrapped in wax paper. Like my sandwiches when I was a kid. So to use unbleached muslin and wax and perhaps Jojoba oil for fungicidal, sounds appealing. I'm going to try it and see if it works as easy as they say. I'll probably do one of those colossal "failures!" We'll see next week. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Wrap n mat ... Reusable sandwich wrapper .. You could probably make your own ..

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Al..., Al...., AL.... we're trying to find alternative ways to get away from plastic wrap. Silly man!

I think Bridget has a good idea, maybe the wax has been around for a long time and we just forgot about it with new technology.

I remember watching Andy Griffith years ago and I saw him unwrap a lunch from Aunt Bea, it was wrapped in wax paper. Like my sandwiches when I was a kid. So to use unbleached muslin and wax and perhaps Jojoba oil for fungicidal, sounds appealing. I'm going to try it and see if it works as easy as they say. I'll probably do one of those colossal "failures!" We'll see next week.

its reusable, wash the plastic wrap, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah ha ha ha, you make me laugh Al. 

I think it's more of a woman thing. Well not all, but a lot of us. It may seem like a lot of work but the long term is what most of us will look at and its worth it.

Being a farmer person we always had to make do, or make what we needed. And I hate spending money. I'd rather spend one hour to have something that will last 6 months. And every time I roll out the plastic wrap I cringe, I used it yesterday to wrap 3 paper plates of food for a brother and I had to resist the urge to ask him to rinse it and send it back to me! He already thinks I'm off my rocker when I ask for my zipper bags back!

I cannot tell you how much joy you bring me! I got a good laugh over this one! 

OCDitis? Oh that just may be an oxymoron!

When it comes to recycling I'm the queen. I recycle everything, compost vegetable matter and burn what can safely be burned. So maybe I have re-com-burn-itis.

But really I don't have OCD, I'm just frugal and dislike waste. I pride myself on having only 1 small bag of trash a week, like a plastic grocery bag. What a goal to shoot for huh? Sad, I appear to have no life!  

I cannot tell you how much joy you bring me! I got a good laugh over this one!

OCDitis? Oh that just may be an oxymoron!

When it comes to recycling I'm the queen. I recycle everything, compost vegetable matter and burn what can safely be burned. So maybe I have re-com-burn-itis.

But really I don't have OCD, I'm just frugal and dislike waste. I pride myself on having only 1 small bag of trash a week, like a plastic grocery bag. What a goal to shoot for huh? Sad, I appear to have no life!

you have a life sis, frugality is good. Its a problem to others when they are not frugal. Now a silly ?. I don't rinse my plastic bottles because to me its wasting water, u?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OMG you are tooo funny!! 

I'll bet you use spit to buff the top don't you?

We live at the ocean so water here isn't a big issue. But I understand that it is in many places.