JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Organic Pesticides

Natural pesticides for bed bugs

Wikimedia Commons Public Domain
2ab28cf36981f1250747d3b2976fc06e.jpg?ito

July 9, 2014

Go green with these natural pesticides for bed bugs. The ingredients might surprise you. Most are found in your kitchen or herb garden. Bed bugs are invasive and as difficult to get rid of as roaches. The difference is, bed bugs bite! Stop letting bed bugs infest your home. Use these all natural pesticides for bed bugs.

The sun

The heat and radiation of the sun kills bed bugs and their eggs. Wash all clothing and bedding in hot soapy water. Hang it in the sun to dry while you use natural pesticides in the home. On a hot day, wrap mattresses in plastic and leave in the sun after spraying with natural pesticides. The additional heat will help accelerate the power of the pesticides.

Soapy water

Soapy water kills bed bugs on contact. Make a soapy pesticide by mixing all natural, biodegradable dish soap with water. Mix dish soap in a spray bottle filled with water. Resting bed posts in containers of soapy water will keep bed bugs from climbing up and into the bed. Grease bedposts with petroleum jelly as a water repellent bug slide. Bed bugs do not jump or fly so this is their only path to the food source (you).

Mint and lavender

These pleasing herbs are deadly to bed bugs. Make a mint and lavender tea as a green pesticide for bed bugs. Spray baseboards, cracks and crevices with the tea. This is also nice to use on mattresses, pillows and bed covers. The fresh scent of lavender keeps bugs away as it floats you to sleep. A lavender and mint sachet works great under the pillow or between mattress and box springs as a bed bug deterrent.

Garlic, cayenne and oregano

These potent natural pesticides fight bed bugs with their pungent aroma. Put a couple cloves of garlic and a tablespoon each of cayenne powder and oregano in a tea ball or cheesecloth. Simmer in a pot of boiling water. Pour into a spray bottle when cooled. Spray baseboards, cracks and crevices in the whole house to keep bed bugs at bay. Spray between mattress and box springs to discourage infestation.

Tea tree oil and other personal repellents

These pesticides are safe for most people to apply to the skin. Simply mix 10 drops of essential oil with ½ cup olive oil and use as a lotion. The essential oils that work best are tea tree, oregano, and lavender. Bed bugs often bite between toes. Check for allergies by applying a small amount first. Wait 24 hours to see if there is a reaction. If not, put a generous amount all over the feet, legs and toes. The added bonus to these natural pesticides is their skin softening and healing properties.

Suggested by The Examinor/Phoenix, AZ News Website

Lisa,

I agree with your synopsis, it's amazing what good old soap and water can do. And the power of the sun is incredible.

I make my own laundry soap and it gets things cleaner than nearly all commercial products.  

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Bed BUGS I have a horror story ....... In a very nice Hotel in Stockhom I was covered in bites turned on the light and there they were hundreds of them! Had an alergic reaction , by the time we made it to Finland they had blistered ! Dr I went to felt so bad for me she didn't charge me! The only thing that gave me releif was sweating in the sauna! A month latter I still had blisters where I got bit. I was covered in bites from head to toe!

They are almost impossible to get rid of ...... We checked our suitcases with a fine tune comb, thankfully non hitched a ride! So moral of the story don't leave luggage on the floor & check mattresses before you crawl in. I still have the creepy crawly feeling when I have to stay somewhere!

"Sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite" took on a whole new meaning. :(

I'm using Epsom salt, dawn soap and vinegar outside. Won't kill hymalaya black berries, or the Ivy that I feel will one day come inside the house and take over. Never plat Ivy by your home! But it works on the rest of the weeds.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Well the epsom salt is a fertilizer. I use it in the garden to fertilize cucumbers and beans. But the vinegar is fairly good, I've heard good results from that. 

Bed BUGS I have a horror story ....... In a very nice Hotel in Stockhom I was covered in bites turned on the light and there they were hundreds of them! Had an alergic reaction , by the time we made it to Finland they had blistered ! Dr I went to felt so bad for me she didn't charge me! The only thing that gave me releif was sweating in the sauna! A month latter I still had blisters where I got bit. I was covered in bites from head to toe!

They are almost impossible to get rid of ...... We checked our suitcases with a fine tune comb, thankfully non hitched a ride! So moral of the story don't leave luggage on the floor & check mattresses before you crawl in. I still have the creepy crawly feeling when I have to stay somewhere!

"Sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite" took on a whole new meaning. :(

AGHHHH! That is a creepy crawly story Wendy! I have one similar to it with fleas, we went to one of the hotels on the recommended list when visiting NY. We walked in and immediately our legs were covered in fleas! We ran out, because of how late it was and we didn't know where else to go, we just switched to another room. Needless to say we put our coats over the pillows and lay down in our cloths. Stayed this way till day break and ran for the car! Yes, we reported the hotel to the rooming department.  

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34