JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Isis 'orders female genital mutilation' for women

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3533 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Isis 'orders female genital mutilation' for women in Mosul

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28466434

The UN says militant Islamist group Isis has ordered all women and girls in Mosul, northern Iraq, to undergo female genital mutilation (FGM).

UN official Jacqueline Badcock said the fatwa, or religious edict, applied to females between the ages of 11 and 46.

------------------------------------------------

How long Jehovah?

I saw another news item on the bbc site that said it could be a hoax. What ever the case Please Jehovah bring this to an end soon.

I hope it is not true

but it is also reported from many other Newspaper and

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/07/un-islamic-state-orders-genital-mutilation-201472412511366171.html

Edited by Samira

It's awful but unfortunately it goes on world wide, it's a disgusting, degrading and potentially fatal practice. FGM is taking place in countries such as the UK and US , but this fatwah extends to women in their forties as well :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Yes I know. It is very disturbing that garbage like that is done these days.

Its not new. Female Circumcision has been practiced across the Middle East and Africa for Centurys. Its origins are somewhat unknown but very conservative variations of Islam practice religiously as well as culturally. It's quite prevalent in Tanzania and along the 'Horn of Africa'. The Western World Powers UK/USA building on their narrative of all that's non-progressive in the 'Islamic World' in their war against Islam, have now decided to wage a cultural and ideological front to stamp out this practice which also affects pockets of Western Muslim community who also practice female circumcision. Its important to note though that Female Circumcision is not exclusive to just Muslims, or rather more accurately some practicers of a Muslim faith. 

This of course being a further iteration of the Wests self righteous battle against Religion/Islam et al. 

I am not sure of what you mean, Shawn.

Islam is a disgusting religion that promotes barbaric practices. Female genital mutilation is a monstrosity, and calling it "female circumcision" is a despicable attempt to make it more acceptable by putting it on the same level as male circumcision. I feel Western countries do very well to condemn it and to forbid it among whatever communities practice it in their territory.

Where I live there are still some Africans that send their daughters to their countries of origin to have them mutilated. If they are discovered, the whole family is deported. I can't say I disagree with that policy.

Edited by cvillarrubia

I am not sure of what you mean, Shawn.

Islam is a disgusting religion that promotes barbaric practices. Female genital mutilation is a monstrosity, and calling it "female circumcision" is a despicable attempt to make it more acceptable by putting it on the same level as male circumcision. I feel Western countries do very well to condemn it and to forbid it among whatever communities practice it in their territory.

Where I live there are still some Africans that send their daughters to their countries of origin to have them mutilated. If they are discovered, the whole family is deported. I can't say I disagree with that policy.

You've completely misunderstood what i said. I'm not condoning the practice nor am i trying to make it more palatable by using the term Female Circumcision. As the term Female Circumcision is the nomenclature that has been used to describe this practice for Century's. Female Genital Mutilation is a newer terminology coined recently by the West to describe the practice that occurs in minority community's in the UK, France etc. Either way whatever term you want to call it we know we're referring to the same thing. 

What i was trying to highlight is that Female Circumcision is NOT unique to Islam. That is largely an inaccurate portrayal of what has been a cultural practice for some all over the Middle East and Africa for Millenia. What i am trying to highlight with this recent 'Cause Celebre' is that Western Powers are seeking to capitalize and essentially self aggrandize, thus lending more legitimacy to their war on Islam/Religion by making a Female Circumcision an issue. Most 10 years would have been completely oblivious to the practice. The Western powers certainly didn't care that women were being subjected to this practice until recently. But now that 'Islamophobia' is rife in the West and the new enemy of Western progressiveness, all means for legitimizing the Western world power agenda are being utilized. Thus you need to see the wider picture here. Which is my point. Not to empathize with the practice that has no place religiously or cultural which should be painfully obvious. 

You've completely misunderstood what i said. I'm not condoning the practice nor am i trying to make it more palatable by using the term Female Circumcision.

[...]

What i was trying to highlight is that Female Circumcision is NOT unique to Islam. That is largely an inaccurate portrayal of what has been a cultural practice for some all over the Middle East and Africa for Millenia. What i am trying to highlight with this recent 'Cause Celebre' is that Western Powers are seeking to capitalize and essentially self aggrandize, thus lending more legitimacy to their war on Islam/Religion by making a Female Circumcision an issue.

Hi Shawn. I am very sorry my comments came across as attacking you. I see how they could be read that way, but it was not my intention at all. It never crossed my mind that you or any other Christian might condone that terrible practice. I just didn't understand what you meant and made clear my position on the issue.

Thank you for ellaborating on your point. I agree that some political groups are trying to demonize Islam to further their interests. On the other hand, it doesn't take much to demonize Islamic religion and culture, since it is disgusting enough in itself.

I think we would all agree that within any religion there are loving, kind, gentle, and genuine people. That, however, doesn't detract from the fact that all false religion is disgusting, therefore all false religious practices are disgusting. Whether a behaviour occurs within the context of a particular religion or not, if it violates Jehovah's standards then it must also be considered disgusting.

It's easy to understand why people would react with greater emotion when it comes to the physical violation and mutilation of girls/women - and that's why governments make such a noise about it in order to further their own agendas.

We are living in the "last days" remember!

It's easy to understand why people would react with greater emotion when it comes to the physical violation and mutilation of girls/women - and that's why governments make such a noise about it in order to further their own agendas.

Niall, I agree with your comment, especially the part I have quoted.

I agree there are good people in all places and in all religions. I also agree that all false religions are disgusting. Now there are disgusting practices and more disgusting practices. It am disgusted when I see Catholic processions in Easter. I was profoundly disgusted last year when I visited Korea and saw Buddhism, despite all the claims of gurus, is just a bunch of superstitions and idol worshipping. But forcing people to be savagely mutilated, or treating women as rubbish, or executing anyone who disobeys their religious laws, as Islam does, or burning alive those who have different beliefs as Catholicism did some centuries ago, and Protestants in America did no so long ago, is on a completely different level.

Governments may be denouncing these practices to manipulate public opinion, yes, but in that particular case they are right.

I believe the girls that have been forced into this crazy act need to be put in some sort of protective custody since they can't protect themselves....I've heard of groups caring for such ones and putting their own lives at risk by refusing to release the girls back to their families :wub:

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

I believe the girls that have been forced into this crazy act need to be put in some sort of protective custody since they can't protect themselves....I've heard of groups caring for such ones and putting their own lives at risk by refusing to release the girls back to their families :wub:

Natasha, I think you refer to women is Western countries. But the news reports was about ISIS, a recently declared Islamic caliphate. Religious fanatics have conquered a big area of Syria and Iraq and have turned it into an independent state strictly governed by Islamic laws. And the newspaper said that the authorities of that country have now ruled that all women inside their territory must be subject to that kind of mutilation. I am afraid there will be no support groups for them. :(

What I find kind of funny, if it weren't so tragic, is that when their terrorist leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi declared the independent caliphate, he invited all Muslims in the world to move there to live according to the Koranic law. I wonder how many Muslims are willing to leave their countries and move there. And above all I wonder how many would stay there if they left the borders open.

Hi Shawn. I am very sorry my comments came across as attacking you. I see how they could be read that way, but it was not my intention at all. It never crossed my mind that you or any other Christian might condone that terrible practice. I just didn't understand what you meant and made clear my position on the issue.

Thank you for ellaborating on your point. I agree that some political groups are trying to demonize Islam to further their interests. On the other hand, it doesn't take much to demonize Islamic religion and culture, since it is disgusting enough in itself.

I think its sensible not to make sweeping judgments like this. Or to be caught up in Worldly reasoning that demonizes Islam & Religion as a whole in furtherance of its own agenda.

Islamic Culture has contributed much to the World so personally id refrain from using such strong adjectives to describe perceived aspects of its culture which varies wildly from one country, region, society to the next. Put into an objective context its logical to presume, considering there are nearly 2 Billion Muslims on this planet, that most find Female Circumcision abhorrent. This is course is the sensible response of any cognitive, empathetic human being.

The fact one extremely errant brand of the faith though has issued an edict, is not reason enough to castigate all Muslims or the religion as a whole simply because this is what Western press engages in on an almost regular basis. 

Elaborating further whether Western governments are right on this occasion isn't the point. As their goal is not to highlight the suffering that has been happening in Islamic Nations and all over Africa for Century's.

As an example Qatar and also Saudi Arabia are also ultra conservative Islamic Countrys who also condone and practice this custom of Female Circumcision. But because both of those nations are aligned with Western interests, mainstream media simply doesn't cover this issue there. ISIS/ISIL are seen as the new threat to UK/USA hegemony in Iraq, even though they are a decades old organisation, who are essentially a CIA creation due to 'blowback' of US foreign policy in Iraq that has turned the nation into a completely lawless society. This in turn is now being promulgated as the latest grave threat to Western ideals which is the only reason why this topic is being raised in the press. As iv emphasized proper context is very important here. So don't let Satan's subtle chicanery fool you into agreeing with his worldly governments, because they're not raising the issue because they care.

When Satan is ready to attack Jehovahs people after his empire of false Religion is destroyed the spot light will turn on Jehovahs people. And the government you were 'agreeing' with a while ago will no longer be agreeable to you/us. Therefore continue to be very wary of what you read in the media. And "test the utterance" to see what its source is. 

Let me be clear i am not in any way shape or form defending Islam as a religion. We know it originates with Satan. But we must be sensible and not let worldly viewpoints shroud our better judgement.