JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ebola outbreak now level one emergency

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3496 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/cdc-issues-highest-emergency-alert-amid-ebola-outbreak-n174496

This is another scary issue the world is facing. Let your Kingdom come Jehovah!

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

Pestilence is one of the signs of our times. I appreciate that. And agree with that. There is some other news that's interesting though:

Listening to the news for the past few days the media has a new toy. Ebola. They love having something new to talk and sensationalize about. 

It is spreading in 3 countries however it isn't easily spread. It's not through direct skin contact or air. It's actually not very easy to spread other wise it would have affected more people than it has. Here's an article from the CDC about how it's spread, mostly with heath care workers who have come in contact with it, via bodily excretions.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/index.html

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

This in today on Huffington Post News:

Ebola Is A Curse From God, Some African Christian Leaders Say

(How horrible, these religious leaders again and again blaming Jehovah God for the plague.  James 1:14, 15, and other scriptures that these African "Christian" leaders fail to even read the Bible, and share with their flocks.  All they are doing is instilling more fear, and confusion.  This is why the nations under Satan's control will eventually turn on all of them, (after Jehovah puts the THOUGHT in their hearts) Rev. 17:16,17.   Jehovah, Almighty God, will no longer tolerate these lies told about him.   These so called "Religious Leaders" along with millions who lie to their flocks will also face the wrath of those they support, politically, commercial, and other religious foes.  That time is near at hand for their spark to be put out forever.)

Ebola patients flee as Liberia clinic looted

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/08/ebola-patients-flee-as-liberia-clinic-looted-201481713725590885.html

An Ebola quarantine centre in Liberia has been looted by a gang who reportedly took bloodstained sheets and forced 17 patients to flee, raising the chances of the virus spreading.....................

Wesseh said she heard the attackers shouting anti-government slogans and insisting there was "no Ebola" in Liberia. "They broke down the door and looted the place. The patients have all gone," she said.....................

"Of the 29 patients, 17 fled last night. Nine died four days ago and three others were taken by force by their relatives," he said. "They had all tested positive for Ebola."

What a disaster man has made and it continues to go from bad to worse ....... I hate this system.

same attitude as Satan: "If I die....I take as many as possible with me"...

feeling sick and can't even watch the News any more

How long Jehovah?

Amen sisters. Amen. Getting so tired, not tiring out just tired of the fight.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

That was a shocking news when we heard too. Well thanks to Jehovah our branch office have finally sent us a letter to all the congregation in Nigeria. I have copy and also one for my congregation.

Just pray Jehovah always remember us.

That was a shocking news when we heard too. Well thanks to Jehovah our branch office have finally sent us a letter to all the congregation in Nigeria. I have copy and also one for my congregation.

Just pray Jehovah always remember us.

What did the letter read if we may ask?

What did the letter read if we may ask?

It is a 2-page letter and I don't know if it will be OK by the administrator for me to post it on this forum. Because I am not too comfortable posting Branch letters meant for all the congregation to a forum like this. Except otherwise, if the administrators in this forum says it is OK and also show me samples of any letters meant for the congregation and sent by any member of this forum would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Bro. Peter

Nigeria

Edited by posemeke

• 2 weeks later...
Ebola toll tops 1,550, outbreak accelerates: WHO

(Reuters) - The Ebola outbreak in West Africa has killed more than 1,552 people out of 3,069 known cases in four countries and "continues to accelerate", the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Thursday.

The epidemic in the region, the deadliest since the disease was first discovered in 1976, has killed nearly as many people as all the previous known outbreaks combined.

"More than 40 percent of the total number of cases have occurred within the past 21 days. However, most cases are concentrated in only a few localities," the United Nations health agency said in a statement.

The WHO is later due to launch a new strategic plan for tackling the spread of the virulent disease.

A separate Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, identified as a different strain of the virus, is not included in the latest figures which cover Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria.

The disease has overwhelmed West Africa's already fragile health infrastructure. On Wednesday, the head of the African Development Bank said it was causing enormous damage to the economies of the region.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/28/us-health-ebola-toll-idUSKBN0GS0UO20140828

Heard but can't confirm that all Missionaries who are serving in West Africa and are in the moment outside the country

for conventions are not send back to their assignment at least for 6 month.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/08/ebola-crisis-set-worsen-warns-us-expert-201482863229799199.html

Ebola crisis set to worsen warns US expert Head of top public health body says "world has never seen an outbreak like this" and figures have been underestimated.

The Ebola epidemic in West Africa is set to get worse and many cases of the deadly disease are not included in the official tally, the head of the top public health body in the US has said.

It comes as Nigeria on Thursday said that a doctor had died from Ebola in the southeastern oil city of Port Harcourt in the first case of the deadly virus outside the financial hub, Lagos - putting the death toll at 1,552 deaths out of 3,069 cases across four countries.

Flights suspended

On Wednesday, airlines ended more services to African countries hit by the Ebola outbreak that has left more than 1,400 people dead as health ministers prepared for a summit to deal with the crisis.

Air France agreed to a government request on Wednesday for a "temporary suspension" of services to Sierra Leone, leaving its capital Freetown and Monrovia in neighbouring Liberia with just one regular service, from Royal Air Morocco.

The decision came a day after British Airways said it was suspending flights to Liberia and Sierra Leone until next year due to Ebola concerns.

Authorities in the worst-hit nations are scrambling to contain the most serious outbreak of the lethal tropical virus in history.

Brussels Airlines has cancelled several services in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

Edited by Samira

WHO says Ebola cases could exceed 20,000

World Health Organisation warns there could eventually be six times more cases than doctors know about currently.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says the Ebola outbreak in West Africa eventually could exceed 20,000 cases, more than six times as many as doctors know about now.

A new plan to stop Ebola by the UN health agency also assumes that in many hard-hit areas, the actual number of cases may be two to four times higher than is currently reported.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/08/ebola-crisis-set-worsen-warns-us-expert-201482863229799199.html

Ebola now in another country:

(Huffington Post/August 29, 2014)

EBOLA IN FIFTH COUNTRY

(Scripture mentioned in our meeting last night in about pestilence  (Luke 21:10, 11) 10 Then he said to them: “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. 11 There will be great earthquakes, and in one place after another food shortages and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and from heaven great signs.  Yep, prophecy foretelling of events in the last days.  It will soon be here on this side of the sphere North America and it will spread out every where.  They don't even have a serum for it enough for the entire world.    There is no real serum for it.  They are working on it, but there is nothing promising.)

Ebola now in another country:

(Huffington Post/August 29, 2014)

EBOLA IN FIFTH COUNTRY

(Scripture mentioned in our meeting last night in about pestilence  (Luke 21:10, 11) 10 Then he said to them: “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. 11 There will be great earthquakes, and in one place after another food shortages and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and from heaven great signs.  Yep, prophecy foretelling of events in the last days.  It will soon be here on this side of the sphere North America and it will spread out every where.  They don't even have a serum for it enough for the entire world.    There is no real serum for it.  They are working on it, but there is nothing promising.)

“It will soon be here on this side of the sphere North America and it will spread out every where.”

Huffington Post? Now that is an authority to be reckoned with.

Are we suffering from a Chicken Little Syndrome?

I am not trying to play down the seriousness of current Ebola outbreak. 

Ebola is very, very scary.

The reaction we have when confronted with possibility of it reaching out to the rest of the civilized (?) world is a source of great 

anxiety and fear. 

Current estimates for this outbreak say perhaps 20,000 will come down with it and will prove fatal to something over 50% . By far 

the majority of these will be in Subsaharan Africa. Using percentages established in this current epidemic the death toll for this outbreak could be as high as 12,000. Terrible? Scary? Absolutely! 

Is it a world wide health problem? Not forecast as such. Really ? Yes, compare it to Malaria. The forecast number of fatalities from 

Ebola estimated to be 12,000. The forecast number of fatalities from Malaria in sub-Saharan Africa is estimated to be around 500,000, a number so large they can only guess. 

Malaria is preventable, Ebola at this time is not. 

The public accepts Malaria as something to be put up with, no headlines, at the same time the public panics at the image of Ebola. 

Though this outbreak meets the criteria of pestilence (Luke 21:11) 11 ”There will be great earthquakes, and in one place after another 

food shortages and pestilences,” I find it as more fulfilling of the 26th verse “People will become faint out of fear  . . .”

Our publications tell us how best to avoid Malaria. I find it strengthening to see they are keeping us informed on the best prevention for this latest epidemic.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/08/obama-says-military-will-help-fight-ebola-outbreak-in-west-africa/

Ebola has killed 2100 that they know of. I read that most of the people sick are at home dying because the clinics are so full that they are turning people away so they really don't know the count of how many dead from this terrible plague so far. 

I received this via email it may already have been posted in the forum somewhere. I did not personally receive it and I do not know who the original recipient was, so please take it for what it is, I cannot confirm the report.

Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 1:31 PM
Subject: Ebola report

Dear friends,

The Ebola disease has been prominent in the news and many have wondered how it is affecting our brothers.  We were given an update this morning at Bethel from the Coordinator's Committee.

The reports came from the countries of Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone.  None of the 2,800 publishers in the countries of Guinea and Sierra Leone have contracted the virus.  Of the 6,365 publishers in Liberia, eight have died after getting the virus, five of whom were health workers. Recently, the virus spread into the country of Nigeria.  None of the publishes there have been affected by the virus or quarantined. None of the field missionaries there have been reported to be affected either. At the time of the virus' spread, a number of missionaries were away from their assignments, attending conventions in other counties such as Europe and the U.S.  Some have recently returned to their assignments after taking the necessary precautions they were instructed to do. Others are waiting to return as circumstances allow. Traveling overseers made two-day visits to congregations in Sierra Leone giving a talk entitled "Obedience Saves Lives."  A local radio station aired a favorable interview with one of the traveling overseers, showing how J.W.'s are educating their members to guard themselves from the Ebola virus.

Hand-washing stations of bleach added to water have been installed at the entrance of all Kingdom Halls in Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia.  Publishers are doing the same at their homes.  Following the Society's direction on these matters has saved the lives of many of our brothers.  The brothers continue to exercise caution as they continue in their Theocratic activities to the extent possible.  We are urged to remember all of them in our prayers.

Musky - I can confirm it as the info shared with the Bethel family recently. Additionally, Sis Ilynca's blog (missionaries in Guinea) confirms some of the same details.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

• 2 weeks later...

There are now over 3,000 deaths, over 6,000 thought to be infected and the mortality or death rate is typically 70% with as high as 90% in some instances....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-29382412

They are saying that if this ebola isn't controlled, there could be as many as 22,000 cases by November, and 1.4 Million cases by January!!! I pray they evacuate the brothers and sisters out of the areas where people don't want to comply with safety measures.... :unsure:

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!