JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What is gravity?

I'm no scientist so cannot give you a scientific explanation. There are websites which will give explanations in varying degrees of complexity, if you wish. The BBC had an image of the earth's gravity:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12911806

I will ask one question though, Sian. If everything were to fall off, which way would it fall? ;)

I will ask one question though, Sian. If everything were to fall off, which way would it fall?

Is this something to do with the earth being in the sun's gravitational force?...which would probably mean you would fall toward the sun:sweat:

Well, we actually only fall due to gravity, so technically if the gravity disappeared, no more grazed knees and broken teeth :) but the problem is we'll start falling to the next strongest gravity force nearest to us. But then that probably presupposes that the earth is going to stay put. Thing is, it's also probably going to be dragged of to that other force, what a mess.

DISCLAIMER: The above is the unscientific ramblings of an imaginative mind.

Well, we actually only fall due to gravity, so technically if the gravity disappeared, no more grazed knees and broken teeth but the problem is we'll start falling to the next strongest gravity force nearest to us. But then that probably presupposes that the earth is going to stay put. Thing is, it's also probably going to be dragged of to that other force, what a mess.

DISCLAIMER: The above is the unscientific ramblings of an imaginative mind.

your scientific mind is as good as mine Jeremy:D

"The acceleration (also known as gravity) depends purely upon the mass of the earth and the distance the other mass is from the centre of the earth." Isaac Newton

30653=1114-gconstant.png

30653=1113-gravityformula.png "Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion. God governs all things and knows all that is or can be done." I may not understand this formula....but old Isaac...is spot on with his statement on God...

I will ask one question though, Sian. If everything were to fall off, which way would it fall?

Is this something to do with the earth being in the sun's gravitational force?...which would probably mean you would fall toward the sun:sweat:

I haven't an answer, Sian. Just the thought that if everything fell, I don't know where it would go! Which way 'up' is the earth?

Confused of London.

Well in my tiny mind thinking of how the earth's gravity is perfect for us, thank Jehovah!!.. well true if it was less we would all float off into outer space, and soon perish without air, but if it were stronger we would be laying flat to the earth, stuck and unable to move, like when it is hard to pull some magnets apart. (and if it was like a black hole we would be pulled inside and smashed to smitherines)..

Gravity; a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract in proportion to their mass.

Also, too I think of trees and glad I'm not stuck in one spot like they are! LOL,..and I think of air pressure, which is just perfect for us, and if it was stronger we would implode, and lesser we may explode! And I think there are things also going on we may not even be aware of at all! It would not surprise me. Oh, and I am glad God knows where I am in the entire Universe, because I don't. LOL.

And to think we are traveling around the sun at 67,000mph, and we are not affected by wind going that fast! Don't say you never go anywhere! LOL..and the earth is spinning approximately 25,000 miles per 24 hours,..and we're not dizzy! LOL..

And can you imagine the core of the sun is 27,000,000 degrees F, and that is not to hot for Jehovah to touch! Is Jehovah hotter since He created the sun? Hebrews 12:29

And what is fusion anyway? Oh that is where the nuclei of atoms come together, that's what the sun does, and it gives off heat and light?

So what is light? It travels through a vacuum! and so fast! 186,000 mps! I can't wait to find out more about that!

And I really do appreciate the fact that God did not put my nose under my arms! he he...

Romans 8:33 O the depth of God's riches and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments are and past tracing out his ways are!

Isaiah 45:12 I myself have made the earth and have created even man upon it. I-my own hands have stretched out the heavens, and all the army of them I have commanded.

Oh, and I would like to ask God how did he get the kangaroo's to Australia after Noah's flood? and the 18,000 islands, how were they replenished with animals? so much to learn!

And does God plan on re-creating the dinosaurs? What a sight that would be!

1 Corinthians 2:9..Eye has not seen and ear has not heard, neither have there been conceived in the heart of man the things that God has prepared for those who love him.

Another little mystery is time;..measuring events, intervals and motion? Did time start? Have a beginning?

What was Jehovah doing before He began creating? We know he is a worker! John 5:17

And have you noticed how many times Jesus calls God Father in the Gospels? I just noticed it and thought how very extremely close their Father Son relationship is! Even though I thought I knew it, I did not!

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=Father&version1=51&searchtype=all&spanbegin=47&spanend=50

Of course there are other Father's in there, but Jesus' feelings for his Father seem to shine through! How touching!

The more I learn, the more I realize I know not much! LOL..ok, I'm done for now!

1 Corinthians 2:9..Eye has not seen and ear has not heard, neither have there been conceived in the heart of man the things that God has prepared for those who love him.

hi bambi

I had forgotten that scripture...it is a good one...

The more I learn, the more I realize I know not much!

I am with you on that...there is no way anyone could be bored in the new system...we will never stop learning...:sunshine:

hi bambi

I had forgotten that scripture...it is a good one...

I believe that above quoted scritpure has a different context than it first appears.

See w64 6/15 Progressive from the beginning.

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

I believe that above quoted scritpure has a different context than it first appears.

See w64 6/15 Progressive from the beginning.

(sorry, didnt do the quote correctly)

I didnt look at your reference just now but I know from past study that you are correct...it refers to some hard headed people that didnt want to see or understand...

but just between you and me, I kinda like the way it sounds...

So the basic concept...

Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every point mass in the universe attracts every other point mass with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

and various answers from around science websites = no...we don't really know how gravity work's...

"At the deepest, all we can say about any fundamental particle or force is that it exists. We don't know what electromagnetic charge actually is, we don't know what electrons and quarks actually are -we can only describe them. Gravity and its relationship to spacetime and acceleration are well described by General Relativity - but we don't know what they actually are."

"Scientists have proved and fully understand other forces like electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, ant the weak nuclear force, but they can't prove or explain gravity, only calculate its force."

"No one know how gravity works. It seems it is a property of all matter, to attract all other matter, but no one knows how or why."

I'm not sure how all of that works exactly, but I just marvel about the reality of it all! I'm sorry to get a tiny bit off topic, but I remember hearing at a convention one time, a brother said "we're just a tiny spec, on a spec, in a spec". We are physical beings, but when you look at the size of the universe and stand all the way back, we're virtually invisible lol It's like we're NOT there, and yet Jehovah sees us; how amazing is that!?. We are smaller than the tiniest microscopic bug compared and we're physically infinitely small compared to this universe. I wish I knew more about gravity though :P

Maybe we will find out how all this atomic stuff really works. Not in this old world though. Jehovah won't let man know that because they would use that knowledge unwisely. Man makes enough trouble with what God allows us to know now.

So just wait, once we are in the new system and probably 1000 times smarter than we are now, we will figure it out.

I like to dream that we would have anti-gravity vehicles to drive, kinda like the Jetsons! LOL

Cheers, lee

Maybe we will find out how all this atomic stuff really works.

I like to dream that we would have anti-gravity vehicles to drive, kinda like the Jetsons! LOLCheers, lee

oh yea, I like that idea!

and every house would have its own nuclear power supply, smaller than a breadbox....:cowboy:

I don't know if it's something kids play with today, but as a kid I played with spinning tops and also had a gyroscope. It was the the rotation that held the top up, and the same goes for the gyro. It's a long time since I saw one, but doesnt the gyro effectively stand still and have an inner part that spins.

Anyway, I think there is a model here to gravity on a universal scale, but....don't ask me how LOL

Hi Lincoln

Some examples of the term human being from the Watchtower Library...

Adam and Eve—Were They Real People?

In addition, again and again the Bible presents Adam and Eve as real human beings, not as mythical characters.

w09 9/1

Prisoners are not the only ones who are grateful for the service provided by Jehovah’s Witnesses. Miroslaw Kowalski, a spokesman for one of the prisons in Poland, said: “We appreciate their visits very much. Some prisoners have sad backgrounds. Probably they were never treated as human beings. . . . The help [of the Witnesses] is very valuable because we have a shortage of personnel and educators.

w05 12/15

The Hebrew word for “spirit,” ru′ach, means “breath” or “wind.” In connection with human beings, it does not refer to a conscious spirit entity but, rather, as The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology puts it, to “the life-force of the individual.”

w96 8/1

The Bible teaches that man was created to mirror God’s attributes. Genesis 1:27 says that “God created human beings, making them to be like himself.”—Today’s English Version.

g 10/10

I don't know if it's something kids play with today' date=' but as a kid I played with spinning tops and also had a gyroscope. It was the the rotation that held the top up, and the same goes for the gyro. It's a long time since I saw one, but doesnt the gyro effectively stand still and have an inner part that spins. Anyway, I think there is a model here to gravity on a universal scale, but....don't ask me how LOL [/quote'] Jeremy...would you like to explain to the class your...um theory... :D

30822=1119-gyroscope_physics_1.png

30822=1120-gyroscope_physics_24.png