JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Favorite Daily Text for 2014

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3393 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Before few days, i was thinking about the past year, and one of the things that i thought about was my favorite daily text.

Although all the comments are carefully selected, and they help us to have something spiritual to think about throughout the day, maybe some of you have some day in particular that really touched you.

For me it was 31st of August. The god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers. - 2 Cor. 4:4. The first sentence of the comment stated: Sadly, some within the Christian congregation give evidence that, at least to a degree, they feel comfortable in Satan’s world.

It made me think that no matter our desires, circumstances, hobbies etc. we must not feel comfortable in Satan's world.

So, what about you? Do you have any favorite daily text?

There were quite a few this year that struck a particular chord in me.

The first of which was January 10th.  It's always been one of my favorite scriptures, but I never thought of it in the way that our dear brothers put it forth.

John 6:67 - "You do not want to go away also, do you?" Asks Jesus, Peter responds "Lord whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life".  I have felt like Peter in my spiritual journey a few times.  A little too over confident, but mostly this days text shows how patient we must be at times, humbly waiting for Jehovah to provide us with understanding.  Sometimes our understanding is WAY off, and what Jehovah really intends are much more incredible than we could have ever imagined.

April 13th

This scripture caused me some distress.  "No man that has put his hand to a plow and looks at the things behind is well fitted for the kingdom of God" Luke 9:62.

At the beginning of 2014, I was still employed with the University of Alberta in a research capacity.  This scripture along with others kept coming up in talks, in our days text etc., everywhere and I kept thinking, am I the 'man' who has been given the chance to plow, but am continually looking at the things behind?  

The answer was yes.  I had realized the year before my job was personally a snare for me, it engendered in me pride, egotism, and ambitions which had nothing to do with putting the kingdom first.

I began begging Jehovah to help me get rid of the job, and he did.  Yet, I then made another decision which put me at another university, in a part-time capacity.  Though, a series of events (grant funding falling through etc), I was not able to stay on with them.  I really do believe now, that Jehovah was saving me from committing a sin.  I have since walked away from scientific pursuits completely.  Finally understanding why (at least from Jehovah's perspective, that for me to return to them would be akin to committing spiritual adultery - I would be choosing science over Jehovah, and that's something I also didn't understand until just now.)

I'm working sporadically for a landscaping and demolition company owned by my Dad.  I've had a couple of interviews with cleaning companies that didn't work out, and a bus driving position that wouldn't work with my full-time regular pioneering status.

I am being extremely selective, but am beginning to think the directive is that I continue to work for my Dad.  My Dad has never responded well to anything I've said regarding Jehovah, and yet, now it's different somehow.  We've had a few very respectful conversations, and I am able to flesh out his understanding of God's people.  This man, when I first started studying threatened to throw me out of his house if I didn't stop speaking about Jehovah.  

What's more, is I've recently discovered he believes that the end of the world (as Jesus described it - is coming).  I have never told him this.  So this suggests to me, that Jehovah has allowed my Dad to have understanding of his will, and I am who he has selected to teach him.

There were quite a few this year that struck a particular chord in me.

The first of which was January 10th.  It's always been one of my favorite scriptures, but I never thought of it in the way that our dear brothers put it forth.

John 6:67 - "You do not want to go away also, do you?" Asks Jesus, Peter responds "Lord whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life".  I have felt like Peter in my spiritual journey a few times.  A little too over confident, but mostly this days text shows how patient we must be at times, humbly waiting for Jehovah to provide us with understanding.  Sometimes our understanding is WAY off, and what Jehovah really intends are much more incredible than we could have ever imagined.

April 13th

This scripture caused me some distress.  "No man that has put his hand to a plow and looks at the things behind is well fitted for the kingdom of God" Luke 9:62.

At the beginning of 2014, I was still employed with the University of Alberta in a research capacity.  This scripture along with others kept coming up in talks, in our days text etc., everywhere and I kept thinking, am I the 'man' who has been given the chance to plow, but am continually looking at the things behind?  

The answer was yes.  I had realized the year before my job was personally a snare for me, it engendered in me pride, egotism, and ambitions which had nothing to do with putting the kingdom first.

I began begging Jehovah to help me get rid of the job, and he did.  Yet, I then made another decision which put me at another university, in a part-time capacity.  Though, a series of events (grant funding falling through etc), I was not able to stay on with them.  I really do believe now, that Jehovah was saving me from committing a sin.  I have since walked away from scientific pursuits completely.  Finally understanding why (at least from Jehovah's perspective, that for me to return to them would be akin to committing spiritual adultery - I would be choosing science over Jehovah, and that's something I also didn't understand until just now.)

I'm working sporadically for a landscaping and demolition company owned by my Dad.  I've had a couple of interviews with cleaning companies that didn't work out, and a bus driving position that wouldn't work with my full-time regular pioneering status.

I am being extremely selective, but am beginning to think the directive is that I continue to work for my Dad.  My Dad has never responded well to anything I've said regarding Jehovah, and yet, now it's different somehow.  We've had a few very respectful conversations, and I am able to flesh out his understanding of God's people.  This man, when I first started studying threatened to throw me out of his house if I didn't stop speaking about Jehovah.  

What's more, is I've recently discovered he believes that the end of the world (as Jesus described it - is coming).  I have never told him this.  So this suggests to me, that Jehovah has allowed my Dad to have understanding of his will, and I am who he has selected to teach him.

That's very encouraging Sharon.

I had a friend working in a Uni Now she & he hubby go  on international Construction.

Its amazing how Jehovah directs & knows what we need. My Dad went from a full time worker to working part time when I was little & would go & help out in Bethel when it was in Strathfield.

I don't remember day texts much but the themes I do, I think it is even the previous yr. Joshua 1.8 Be courageous & strong.

because your God is with you. As i drive my kids to school I often say this one to them. Especially when it comes to the national anthem etc.

Do your utmost to present yourself approved to God, a workman with nothing tobe ashamed of.—2 Tim. 2:15.

It has been said that life can be understood by looking back but that it must be lived by looking ahead. So instead of worrying about the past, we should be concerned about the present and the future. As the great tribulation nears, we do not want to be plagued with such anxious thoughts as these: ‘Could I have done more in God’s service? Why didn’t I pioneer when I had the opportunity? What prevented me from reaching out to serve as a ministerial servant? Did I make a real effort to put on the new personality? Am I the sort of person Jehovah wants in his new world?’ Instead of just worrying about such sobering questions, we want to use them to analyze ourselves and make sure that we are giving our best in Jehovah’s service. Otherwise, we could be continuing in a way of life that may result in even more regrets. w13 1/15 4:13, 14

This one was a great reminder. I learnt it at my pioneer school some yrs back. To do our Utmost. look for opporturnities.
Its taken me some time to figure out & look for new ways in my ministry. I love the preaching side & is very enjoyable. From March this yr I start back regular auxilar,
That script for me means we may not have every situation that seems to be the best but look at new ideas & avenues.
I love my cong. But its hard to get support no matter what I try. I went from a territory that had everything like wet weather territory meaning appartments & closed in Intercoms etc. the variety was awesome. Now I live a little more country still by the sea..First time I went out with a Sis in this cong. well I made plans & about to leave house & it poured down rain & she calls to say she won't be going due to the rain I was surprised It happened a few other times. So that was for me well I guess I have to look for other means & when you make plans they often fail. SO this scripture has also meant to pray long & hard & very often especially when Sisters ring to cancel & your minutes away from the territory & they say they have their time & will leave it til next week. I have discovered preaching on the internet & when I go places I have in a ziplock bag a few tracts to our website & there have been many opportunities like I met a few weeks ago A Mum whose son is in my Son's class at school. He had broken his arm & his mum was lost what to do. Can't do much. So I gave her a tract told her about our Website & the stuff for the kids & Videos etc. She was so glad.. She said that's "awesome".. I no longer wait til I go to the doors now. We have a lot of avenues to go preaching & its fun.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)