JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pay Attention at the Meeting

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3375 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Great new video!! - http://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/family/children/become-jehovahs-friend/videos/pay-attention-at-meetings/

I thought it was posted some where - maybe as part of a bigger thread, but this is so good it should have its own thread!

I love that the kids - even little ones - are shown as paying attention and not playing or sleeping at the meetings. This is how it was when I grew up.

I also like how they show Caleb drawing what was being talked about. It is a great way to take notes. This is a method I like for taking notes.

Hopefully this will help parents train their little ones  :pray:  

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

This is Awesome. What a great tool for teaching kids we watched this last night.Kids love it. They giggle. Caleb is hilarious.

Yeah. I am trying to get kids out of the toys & wanting talk at the moment. Love Jehovah. He helps us out.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

In schools where I have taught (and still do,) many educators are under the impression that it is impossible for young ones (up to and including high school) to sit still. I wish they would come to Kingdom Hall. My children invited their teachers when they were small, but none ever accepted.

"Game Over" 

lol   :D

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

In schools where I have taught (and still do,) many educators are under the impression that it is impossible for young ones

That is because they  are taught that the attention span for a kid is the equivalent of his age. So a 4 y.o has an attention span of 4 mn, a 5 y.o for 5 mn. Then you move a bit and go back to focus. When I do circle time (with 27 kids of 4-5 y.o) we do respiration, dramatic movement, sing with movement in between whatever lessons we do so that they can focus for 20mn. I believe there is "some truth" in it when looking at my class every year. But that is school ...but with lots of patience, consistency and high quality expectations, kids eventually follow the routine "imposed". So it depends much on the educator too.

At the Kingdom Hall, there are some differences: parents (1 or 2 people) look after 1 to let's say 5 kids? At school it is one person for way too many kids...

At the Kingdom Hall, kids are to be taught that we are there for Jehovah and need to show respect for the Most High.

At school the motto is learning while having fun - talking Kindergarten

My point really is that the setting at the Kingdom Hall is different and we have Jehovah's spirit to help out in keeping our kids focused. It calls for (like we see in the video) lots of training at home. It is not going to happen on its own. Also, if kids are kept "busy" but in a way related to what we do at the Hall, they will be calm and see more sense in what we are doing there. Kids - like most adult - loose interest when there is no clear objective and direction when given an expectation.

Parents who work hard to train their kids need our encouragement, it is not easy for them...Nor is it for the kids!

After all that being said: I remember not being the best listening little girl in the Hall... :(:blushing: Thanks to Jehovah it did not carry on to adulthood ...

Edited by Raindrop

I guess this should end the debate of wether or not its OK to let your kids play during the meeting.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....